Top 5 non BCS colleges in division 1 that needs a new logo

Burkell007

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any conference that looks as collectively crap-tacular as the Horizon League? Youngstown is the only one with a good identity. Detroit is passable at best. The rest are just gawd awful.

hleague_zps81411937.png

Radford has been mentioned, but the Big South has a few steaming piles.

I can't tell what the tail on the HPU Panther is supposed to be doing. Does it split into two? Is the black part a shadow?

highpoint.gif unca_ex.jpg2693321_slides_all-05.jpggardnerwebb.gif

To be fair, UNCA's "A" (though I've always seen it as "Av") works well enough on its own, and Gardner-Webb's bulldog could use some modernizing, but I like the idea overall.

XKCGFMPCAQBWPFS.20120702102907.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Compared to what most of those teams in the big south had before( not counting GW that def needs to be updated!) those are upgrades to me. Cause it's that time of year:

My first 4 out:

Austin Peay

Tennessee St.

Long Beach St.

Gardner- Webb

And my 5 HBCU list:

1. Howard

2. Jackson St.

3. Bethune - Cookman

4. Norfolk St.

5. Alcorn St.

To everyone saying Howard, it's worth noting that HU had their logo in place before the Buffalo Bills adopted their current logo.

Dayton, yes. The thing about Dayton is that they have a very interesting team name based on the US Air Force base and museum in Dayton. There are all sorts of possibilities for imagery, but they simply don't use any of it. They also have an awesome-looking mascot:

rudy2.jpg

But I don't see him used anywhere aside from the kids' club.

Niagara looks pretty hideous. UNC-Wilmington looks like a bank logo. St. Mary's (CA) does too. I'll throw St. Francis (PA) in the mix as well for a desperately-needed upgrade.

Tennessee State, featuring clip art of a one-eared tiger from circa 1994:

DBOTDDOVBANBYXA.20071101003444.jpg

Radford taking a page out of the Dayton "too lazy to create an actual logo, so we use the wordmark instead" book:

Highlanders-LogoA.gif

Compared to what most of those teams in the big south had before( not counting GW that def needs to be updated!) those are upgrades to me. Cause it's that time of year:

My first 4 out:

Austin Peay

Tennessee St.

Long Beach St.

Gardner- Webb

And my 5 HBCU list:

1. Howard

2. Jackson St.

3. Bethune - Cookman

4. Norfolk St.

5. Alcorn St.

I knew I forgot one. Make that two for Bosack. I don't know whatever became of it, but he/they came up with this a couple years back. There was also a two-headed version floating around back then, too, presumably based off their then- or maybe still-existing logo.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Regarding the whole Howard/Buffalo Bills logo situation. How does anybody get away with copyrighting someone else's creation? I know that situation happened decades ago, but could that happen now?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Dayton, yes. The thing about Dayton is that they have a very interesting team name based on the US Air Force base and museum in Dayton. There are all sorts of possibilities for imagery, but they simply don't use any of it. They also have an awesome-looking mascot:

rudy2.jpg

But I don't see him used anywhere aside from the kids' club.

I always assumed Dayton took the name "Flyers" because the Wright Brothers were from there.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

Anyone else see the "NWO" on the Youngstown logo?

Didn't the Bud Ice commercials in the 90s teach us to beware of the penguins?

mainescarf.png

Dayton's name is based on the Wright Brothers, but I think DCDuck was trying to say that they could also go the Air Force route because of the base and museum, but instead my alma mater has flying words.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Dayton's name is based on the Wright Brothers, but I think DCDuck was trying to say that they could also go the Air Force route because of the base and museum, but instead my alma mater has flying words.

I've always wanted a biplane or at the very least non-jet plane sports team. We used to have the Red Barons in MiLB and I've always thought that Dayton should have some sort of biplane or something for a logo.

I also hate that Louisiana-Monroe, when changing from Indians to Warhawks, chose to go with bird imagery. Their logos are actually good but, according to Wikipedia their name was chosen for this reason: The new nickname honors Maj. Gen. Claire Lee Chennault, an LSU alumnus, and his Air Force unit from World War II, which utilized the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk in battle, although the logos primarily use bird imagery.

A WWII-era plane and pilot logo would be pretty awesome. Heck, they could probably rip-off the Iowa Barnstormers and make it work (they used to rip-off Florida State anyway).

Archived