New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, basically a satin type of finish, like the Seahawks helmets?

Satin? Not sure if satin would be the correct adjective to describe a military ammo box color/texture.

I guess satin wasn't the right word. It's basically a semi-gloss (as far as the Seahawks go).

I just brought that up because I'm not a huge fan of matte, but the semi-gloss on Seattle's lids looks really good. It's straddling the line between matte and glossy.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I worked up a flat model of what we may or may not have seen so far. The helmet is a complete guess at this point.

VikingsMockUp_zpsee729401.png

If that's what it's going to look like, it's honestly kind of bland. A gray facemask would push it into disappointment territory.

I completely agree! That gray facemask ruins the whole set! A purple facemask would make this set a 9 out of 10....the grey facemask makes it a 2 out of 10.

spacer.png

You can rationalize the striping on white matching the striping on purple, but a rationalization is all that is. It's much like the Blackhawks, only without any history on its side.

And grey facemasks would be unforgivable.

If these are what they go with, they'll look fine, but I won't be giving them high praise or anything.

I worked up a flat model of what we may or may not have seen so far. The helmet is a complete guess at this point.

If that's what it's going to look like, it's honestly kind of bland. A gray facemask would push it into disappointment territory.

I completely agree! That gray facemask ruins the whole set! A purple facemask would make this set a 9 out of 10....the grey facemask makes it a 2 out of 10.

Wait.. a gray facemask can bust a 9 out of 10 all the way down to a 2?

You are hilarious!

You are hilarious!

I must be hilarious as well...because I agree.

I have yet to hear a legitimate justification for including Gray facemasks (outside of it matching another uniform element).

They're just pointless and unnecessary.

You are hilarious!

I have yet to hear a legitimate justification for including Gray facemasks (outside of it matching another uniform element).

agree

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

You are hilarious!

Oh, I'm not really defending a gray mask from any sort of design standpoint. And if given the power in this case, I'd most likely settle on purple, too. But a 9 (nearly perfect) to a 2 (absolutely terrible) seems a little extreme.

You are hilarious!

Oh, I'm not really defending a gray mask from any sort of design standpoint. And if given the power in this case, I'd most likely settle on purple, too. But a 9 (nearly perfect) to a 2 (absolutely terrible) seems a little extreme.

Gotta agree with this. Makes no sense to bump down a rating that far for a facemask color.

How about this?

The facemask should be treated as a piece of equipment, not a piece of the uniform. Much like a chinstrap on a football helmet or a cage or visor on a hockey helmet. These things aren't colour coordinated, they're just stock. There's an argument to be made that the same principal should apply to facemasks on football helmets.

You don't have to agree with it, but I think it passes muster as a "legitimate" defence of grey facemasks.

the facemasks of today take up too much area to be considered imo equipment but even if you want to call equipment why can't be done in a team color? I am all for colored chin straps

also the football helmet is used as at least a secondary logo I don't think that is the case in hockey

Come now. You, yes you, complain every time a team from the 90s adopts a retro-style uniform because "they should look like a team from the 90s and get creative!" Well if you're going to cling to that logic then you have to recognize that traditional teams should look, well, traditional. The Vikings are, without a doubt, a traditional team. In perhaps the most traditionally heavy conference in the NFL the Vikings' soon to be former Arena League -esque uniforms looked out of place, and a bit embarrassing. The team's righting the ship with this new look. It's shaping up to be a vast improvement all around, regardless of what colour the facemask is.

Wow, great job! This looks great.

Is it silly for me to suggest Nike uses gold swooshes on the shoulders? Maybe it would look better, what with the white TV numbers above it and white stripe right below it.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

well lets wait to see what the final look is . if a team wants have the look say from 1973 then okay go with the gray masks, but if it is just "retro inspired" well then I say go with a team color facemask. Nothing wrong with having a traditional look but allowing for tweaks

the facemasks of today take up too much area to be considered imo equipment but even if you want to call equipment why can't be done in a team color? I am all for colored chin straps

Again, hockey helmet cages and visors aren't colour coordinated, and a full face cage on a hockey helmet takes up a lot of real estate.

also the football helmet is used as at least a secondary logo I don't think that is the case in hockey

So what if they are used as logos? Baseball bats feature prominently in many baseball logos and they're almost always depicted as yellow or tan or brown, ie the colours of the bats themselves. No one colour coordinates bats with uniforms despite their prominence in logos.

Come now. You, yes you, complain every time a team from the 90s adopts a retro-style uniform because "they should look like a team from the 90s and get creative!" Well if you're going to cling to that logic then you have to recognize that traditional teams should look, well, traditional. The Vikings are, without a doubt, a traditional team. In perhaps the most traditionally heavy conference in the NFL the Vikings' soon to be former Arena League -esque uniforms looked out of place, and a bit embarrassing. The team's righting the ship with this new look. It's shaping up to be a vast improvement all around, regardless of what colour the facemask is.

hypocracy.........very cutting edge lol

You are hilarious!

Gotta agree with this. Makes no sense to bump down a rating that far for a facemask color.

maybe thay have a darker grey facemask that would work

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Again, hockey helmet cages and visors aren't colour coordinated, and a full face cage on a hockey helmet takes up a lot of real estate.

okay so why not have hockey cages be a team color

So what if they are used as logos? Baseball bats feature prominently in many baseball logos and they're almost always depicted as yellow or tan or brown, ie the colours of the bats themselves. No one colour coordinates bats with uniforms despite their prominence in logos.

I wouldn't mind if a baseball wanted to make the bat in their logo a team color as opposed to reality haven't seen to many teal hornets in real life. if a football team colors were say red white and blue would you be okay if the team's facemask was the color green even though nothing else about the team logo or uniform is green? why do we excuse gray as being okay? but not accept a random different color than the teams stated color for the facemask.?

How about this?

The facemask should be treated as a piece of equipment, not a piece of the uniform. Much like a chinstrap on a football helmet or a cage or visor on a hockey helmet. These things aren't colour coordinated, they're just stock. There's an argument to be made that the same principal should apply to facemasks on football helmets.

You don't have to agree with it, but I think it passes muster as a "legitimate" defence of grey facemasks.

I don't agree with it. Weak argument.

Archived