American Athletic Conference

jgiff17

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relegation can't work.

Part of the difference is that soccer stadiums abound in Europe and are shared by teams in some cases. On the flip side, you could have a school like Texas that maybe has a crappy season, get replaced by a school like Southern Miss or Arkansas State, who can barely fill their stadiums of 30,000ish people.

Southern Miss and Arkansas State would easily pack their stadiums if they were "promoted" to the Big 12.

There's significant revenue in packing stadiums. The mid-tier teams want a cut from visiting a 100k+ monolith like Penn State and the bigger schools want to play against better competition. Ohio State might not sell out every game if they're playing Akron, Temple and Marshall instead of Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska.

Ohio State already plays teams like Akron, Temple and Marshall every season in their out of conference schedule.

Promotion/relegation will never happen of course, seeing as how this is America and money always trumps competition. And by that I mean revenue from TV deals that involve big money for showing more recognizable brands such as Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, etc. Attendance is irrelevant.

It would make far more sense than dividing that top division of football into another two divisions of football (BCS and non-BCS) even though they're supposed to be the same level. But the NCAA doesn't exactly care about making sense. Just cents.

poor poor uconn...

....and USF and Cincy!!

Yeah, ... you don't get it. Cinci is closer to being in that "poor, poor ____" category than USF but even that's a stretch.

USF has been just as, if not more successful than Cincy and UConn in recent years. (football-wise I mean)

I would definitely put Cincy above UConn too.

poor poor uconn...

....and USF and Cincy!!

Yeah, ... you don't get it. Cinci is closer to being in that "poor, poor ____" category than USF but even that's a stretch.

USF has been just as, if not more successful than Cincy and UConn in recent years. (football-wise I mean)

Except the latter two have actually won the Big East's autobid, while South Florida can't win a meaningful game in October.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So basically this year is the first and last year that this conference will be relevant...bcs tie in and actual competitive football teams as well as some decent basketball. After this season this will be one of those second tier non playoff conferences. The only hope I can hang onto is that Houston will get that invite from the big 12 since they have distances themselves from their cross town "rival" once they take that bcs spot this year leading them into their new stadium. Fingers crosses that this ex special team head coach can become the next briles/ sumlin but actually stay and help secure Houston in a major conference once again. TCU did it so UH can also. So much talent in the Houston area no reason not to have them in a larger conference to soak up the big city $$$

So basically this year is the first and last year that this conference will be relevant...bcs tie in and actual competitive football teams as well as some decent basketball. After this season this will be one of those second tier non playoff conferences. The only hope I can hang onto is that Houston will get that invite from the big 12 since they have distances themselves from their cross town "rival" once they take that bcs spot this year leading them into their new stadium. Fingers crosses that this ex special team head coach can become the next briles/ sumlin but actually stay and help secure Houston in a major conference once again. TCU did it so UH can also. So much talent in the Houston area no reason not to have them in a larger conference to soak up the big city $$$

Well, TCU did MUCH more in the past decade+ than U of H... but I do agree that they need to be in the Big XII.

It NEEDS to be 12 by next season.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I think the operative question for Houston to consider is "do they have any powerful friends in the Texas Legislature?" Because ultimately it's going to take orders from said Legislature for the Big XII to agree to quintuple down on Texas.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not discounting the fact that TCU has done much more but their coach stayed and he stayed probably due to the fact that money was beginning to get spent on the football program which is just starting now at uh and it took a couple years or more for them to even get approval to try to find the funds for the new stadium that place was a dump and I don't fault briles and sumlin for leaving because the lack of forward thinking at uh regarding the football program for so many years following the swc showed them that there was no where to go anymore they had reached the plateau. Big 12 needs championship game again since it'll be basically a semi final or could be every year. If not all the acc schools that have been discussed then you have to go with uh as long as they show up this year or the next two and show that they deserve it. ^should help Texas (and I'm sure they have friends in higher places) battle Aggies for recruiting since they could tell the recruits family that they can actually travel shorter distances to watch their boys and see them in h town every other year and I'm an Aggie fan but I think there's more positives than negatives plus the south division would see it as a push over game

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a gray stain, or a darker natural color? If gray, I really like it (as far as stained courts go.) I'd prefer no stain, but if you must be unique, this looks like a pretty benign way to stand out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it's a gray stain. It's definitely not as dark as the mockup I've seen elsewhere, so it's not as jarring. I don't mind something like this...it's unique, but it doesn't distract from the normal court markings like what FIU did.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's a black stain, from the article I read. It's just washed out a bit so it's not jet black like the border paint.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

It's a black stain, from the article I read. It's just washed out a bit so it's not jet black like the border paint.

That is correct, its a dull/pale black stain. UCF wanted to originally have the stain applied to the entire court but it posed some visual problems in regards to TV viewing (amongst other issues- i.e. referee court vision). I think they did a great job, its a unique new spin that imo is not overkill.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

UCF has updated their basketball court with a "unique" court design for their upcoming season in the American Athletic Conference.

https://twitter.com/...2710913/photo/1

To be totally honest, I want to hate this because it seems like they are falling victim to what seems to be an alarming trend in trying to differentiate your university by either coloring your football field a weird unnecessary color or by messing with your basketball court design to stand out. That being said, I actually kind of like it and I'm willing to give them a pass for this.

Archived