American Athletic Conference

jgiff17

Just need 8 regional super conferences with conference championships then a national 8 team playoff for the national champion. Relegate the bottom 2 teams from each region to div-1AA and move up the two top teams from each of the 8 conferences in div 1AA. Problem solved. Either way I really like the concept work and I hope the actual logo is as good if not better than this but let's be real it won't be just look at the recent history of conf logo overhauls!

NO RELEGATION!

This isn't EPL.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relegation can't work.

Part of the difference is that soccer stadiums abound in Europe and are shared by teams in some cases. On the flip side, you could have a school like Texas that maybe has a crappy season, get replaced by a school like Southern Miss or Arkansas State, who can barely fill their stadiums of 30,000ish people.

There's significant revenue in packing stadiums. The mid-tier teams want a cut from visiting a 100k+ monolith like Penn State and the bigger schools want to play against better competition. Ohio State might not sell out every game if they're playing Akron, Temple and Marshall instead of Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska.

Speaking of Ohio State, what about probation? Do the Buckeyes automatically move down a league? Penn State? UNC, USC, etc?

Too many variables to make relegation feasible.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So continuously allowing these schools that have small programs and stadiums come up to div 1a is the best solution?... Seems to me they are bogging down the superior football subdivision just to fill in these crappy conferences. With roughly 16 schools in each conference I guess you could take only one per conf down and I'm pretty sure there's enough teams that the powerhouses wouldn't have to worry. But as the saying goes just win baby! Either way I hate the rapid pace of all these moves and the destruction of some of the best rivalries in college football. I enjoy conferences with no championship like the big 12

So continuously allowing these schools that have small programs and stadiums come up to div 1a is the best solution?... Seems to me they are bogging down the superior football subdivision just to fill in these crappy conferences. With roughly 16 schools in each conference I guess you could take only one per conf down and I'm pretty sure there's enough teams that the powerhouses wouldn't have to worry. But as the saying goes just win baby! Either way I hate the rapid pace of all these moves and the destruction of some of the best rivalries in college football. I enjoy conferences with no championship like the big 12

The bottom line is that this whole thing is most likely evolving into an elite 64 school 4-16 team super conference that may or may not be governed by the ncaa...once the super conferences shake out the conference championships will in effect be the first round of the playoffs then the conference winners would advance to the bowl games, then the bowl winners to the championship...granted there are many caveats (at large/wildcards etc.) and this is very high level but with this structure this allows those at the top to maximize tv revenue and share it with the least amount of schools necessary to create a league.

This is a high level blueprint which the final product is being constructed...the 64/4 is ideal for the numbers to fit symetrically but we may see 70 schools perhaps 80 but the bottom line is that the BCS conferences are going to have their own elite football division within 10-15 years...the real question is to see which conference survives between the b12 and acc.

I know it's heading that way but I just wish it was more regionalized for the travel of the schools and fans, also to keep the regional traditional match ups alive as well as make new ones. Being an Aggie fan I liked the move to sec but let's face it they belong in the big 12. Now the we have major conferences spreading throughout the United States and the smaller conferences spreading even wider trying to stay alive. This might be biased but I see the big 12 as a stronger conference than the acc but I would hate to see either one leave because that would mean the further spreading out of conferences. Money I know is the bottom line and the playoff only leads us to a 64/4 outcome but then why even allow more schools to come up?...if they will not have a chance in ____ to compete for a national championship in 10-15 years? If there has to be a playoff then make it fair to all div 1a teams. 12 team set up like nfl. PAC 12 big 12 big 10 sec get first round byes. AAC acc mw mac get first round home games against at large teams based on final rankings.

• 1 month later...

Anyone hear when they will release the new league branding?

New conference officials met in Florida last week to decide on future details. I would expect to see new branding early July when the conference becomes official.

My gut tells me the word American will be emphasized somehow, as the new conference has been very clear that they want to be referred to as "The American" rather than AAC or something else.

It would be okay if not for the misshapen star . . . and the fact that said star is plopped down in the middle of the A.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The radial gradient applied to each letter is super, super annoying as is the distorted star. The composition is nice but it's like the conference execs just discovered some "neat" features in photoshop to try and make their logo "cool" and standout.

New logos released. Too much gradient for my liking. Logo is somewhat uninspired as well.

http://t.co/5GCAtzMxgZ

1369888245000-XXX-s130125-1896-1305300039_3_4_r537_c0-0-534-712.jpg?ce8801b31498d8a76973562e156bf57fd6c91c441369888354000-XXX-s130125-1897-1305300038_4_3_rx383_c540x380.jpg?553efe1954dfb7d1a113a4c5cf7c04bfaead0983

Again.

Billthecat_zpscc6a8bdc.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived