2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

They absolutely are hitting the team's salary caps still. And, while I haven't done thorough research on the matter, per se', I see no reason to think why they wouldn't receive two salaries. Lecavalier will get his Lightning buyout salary and his prospective employers' salary too; it doesn't all get absorbed by the new employer.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They absolutely are hitting the team's salary caps still. And, while I haven't done thorough research on the matter, per se', I see no reason to think why they wouldn't receive two salaries. Lecavalier will get his Lightning buyout salary and his prospective employers' salary too; it doesn't all get absorbed by the new employer.

Yeah, of course they won't work for free.

It just occured to me that even though they became laughingstock to the fans, they will be the ones who laugh last....on their way to the bank.

Wait what? Ahhh crap we're getting another lockout aren't we.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Luongo isn't going anywhere unless there's another trade coming. Word is, the owner's father stepped in and warned both Frencesco Acquilini (owner) and Mike Gillis that there is NOT going to be a buyout of Luongo's contract, so figure out the goaltending situation.

A day later, Schneider got traded to Jersey.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'm sure the NHL does something similar to baseball. If a baseball player on a guaranteed contract is released, the releasing team has to pay him the money that was due for the rest of the contract. However, if that player signs with another team, that new team would pay him a minimum contract, which would then be deducted from the amount the original team has to pay him. The player wouldn't be making any more money than he was originally due in the contract.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Wait, what's going on?

The point of the compliance buyout is to comply with the lowering of the salary cap. Teams will still have to pay 66% of the remaining value over twice the balance of the contract, but unlike a standard buyout, there is no associated cap hit. It's thus closer in spirit to the old AHL/overseas burial, which has been eliminated in this CBA.

Players will get their money from the buyout and from new contracts, though you can't imagine any of those new contracts will be worth all that much. Of course, I say that now, but in a world where Mike Smith is given $34 million through age 37 to smash his sticks and crap his pants without a shell to block all his shots for him, it's entirely possible someone will give Briere or Lecavalier another $25 million on top of their buyout money. We needed the lockout.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bryzgalov is going to make $1,642,857 a year from now through 2027. Pronger is owed $12,150,000 over the next four years but will probably never play again. Because of these guys they traded Richards and Carter. I'd ask "how is Paul Holmgren still in charge" if I thought for a moment that Paul Holmgren was ever in charge.

EDIT: the Carolina Hurricanes have $57 million committed to the cap with only 17 roster spots full how did this happen

EDIT: the Carolina Hurricanes have $57 million committed to the cap with only 17 roster spots full how did this happen

Because they're going to win the cup this year with all that high-paid talent, obviously

So, according to the Score, Tyler Bozak wants 8 years, ~$40 million from the Leafs.

Stop. Why are you laughing? I'M BEING SERIOUS.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Because they're going to win the cup this year with all that high-paid talent, obviously

The Carolina Hurricanes: run-and-gun hockey, without all that tiresome running or dangerous gunning.

Archived