MLB teams that need new unis.

daveindc

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball's beginning to look like baseball again.

Well...except for this crap

4792720457_1bf0418238_o.png

Actually, no. Still better than the tight fitting crap worn 15-20 years ago. Wish I had these when I played.

I still think this looks better

OzzieSmith_crop_340x234.jpg?1312372891

The only set I strongly dislike and would change significantly is the Astros. I mean it's just awful. But then again I loved the previous set so what do I know. I got no beef with the Padres either. Yeah it's basic but it looks a hell of a lot better than the horrible brown and yellow everyone wants them to go back to.

Actually, no. Still better than the tight fitting crap worn 15-20 years ago. Wish I had these when I played.

That's a byproduct of the 70's/80's fad. And I grew up with them wearing those. That is NOt the correct way to wear a baseball uniform. 60's and back is the correct way for them to look, and now, while not perfect by any means, is a lot closer.

Colorado Rockies - The black and purple days are done. Perhaps something with the red, blue, and yellow colors of the state flag.

The last thing we need is another R-W-B team, especially not the Rockies. Not to mention the majority of state flags are red, blue, and yellow:

State-Flags.gif

spacer.png

That's a byproduct of the 70's/80's fad. And I grew up with them wearing those. That is NOt the correct way to wear a baseball uniform. 60's and back is the correct way for them to look, and now, while not perfect by any means, is a lot closer.

Ok here is a CRAZY THOUGHT, but guess what, you're BOTH wrong, there is no right way to wear a baseball uniform.

hi-res-152773876_crop_650x440.jpg?1352051846

Theres nothing "wrong" with how they are wearing it in that picture,

While I do like when they show their socks, the majority don't, its a shame but that isn't the wrong way either.

Why? Just cause they wore those before? So I guess if baseball teams were to wear what the baseball uniform should look like based on how it was worn in the past, then they should have collars, long sleeves, made of wool by golly! So I guess these would be how baseball uniforms should still look like then! (well other than the short sleeves)

chw005squires.jpg

Point is, baseball uniforms have changed in some ways, would it be cool if socks came back? sure, even stirrups, even tho I hope the long thing stirrups don't look that good, but still, most players wear their uniforms fine, there are a few sloppy ones, but then again would you want to see the larger players in tight uniforms? no

Colorado Rockies - The black and purple days are done. Perhaps something with the red, blue, and yellow colors of the state flag

Purple stays. I don't care what they do with the rest of the colors, but purple needs to stay. It's uniquely us. I just wish they'd embrace the color more. Their home jerseys have purple pinstripes that look black from afar, all-black hats, black "ROCKIES" text across the chest, black numbers, etc. Not a hint of purple.

All the league-wide MLB merchandise that is based off a primary color is black for the Rockies. I understand that purple isn't the most marketable color, but I'm tired of seeing everything in black.

Colorado Rockies - The black and purple days are done. Perhaps something with the red, blue, and yellow colors of the state flag

Purple stays. I don't care what they do with the rest of the colors, but purple needs to stay. It's uniquely us. I just wish they'd embrace the color more. Their home jerseys have purple pinstripes that look black from afar, all-black hats, black "ROCKIES" text across the chest, black numbers, etc. Not a hint of purple.

All the league-wide MLB merchandise that is based off a primary color is black for the Rockies. I understand that purple isn't the most marketable color, but I'm tired of seeing everything in black.

I may be in the minority in thinking there's not much wrong with the Rockies uniforms.

I like the fact they are still wearing the same basic look they had when they broke into the league in '93.

It may not be the best identity in baseball, but at least its an identity. Too many teams now either struggle to find an identity with their look like the Blue Jays and Brewers, or like the Padres now just don't have one.

I wouldn't object to tweeks being made, but the overall look itself I think is fine as is.

Colorado Rockies - The black and purple days are done. Perhaps something with the red, blue, and yellow colors of the state flag.

San Diego Padres - A return to the brown and mustard days

Cleveland Indians - Chief Wahoo goodbye! nuff said here

Tampa Bay Rays - Well, only when they relocate to Montreal, or Norfolk, or Sacramento, or Memphis, or Birmingham, or Charlotte..you get the idea

Colorado Rockies - No. "Purple Mountains" work for the Rockies. They can be the ONE purple team in baseball.

San Diego Padres - Eh. Chocolate mustard might be a bit disco-tech... but I've posted a Brown/Gold/Blue concept below.

Cleveland Indians - Yes. Wahoo's being phased out already, though.

Tampa Bay Rays - If a team relocated, I would bet Charlotte or Durham would be the destination.

PadresrRoad_zps164ee4c9.jpgPadresHome_zps038bdcfe.jpg

Tampa Bay Rays - Well, only when they relocate to Montreal, or Norfolk, or Sacramento, or Memphis, or Birmingham, or Charlotte..you get the idea

Colorado Rockies - No. "Purple Mountains" work for the Rockies. They can be the ONE purple team in baseball.

San Diego Padres - Eh. Chocolate mustard might be a bit disco-tech... but I've posted a Brown/Gold/Blue concept below.

Tampa Bay Rays - If a team relocated, I would bet Charlotte or Durham would be the destination.

I wouldn't count on Charlotte. They're in the process of building a new 10,000 seat stadium. Too small of a capacity for an MLB team.

I wouldn't count on Charlotte. They're in the process of building a new 10,000 seat stadium. Too small of a capacity for an MLB team.

I'd say maybe Portland or Vegas, but your not going to hear any serious rumors about any MLB teams moving for at least the next five years.

I do agree though that if any team did move it would be the Rays, but they have the lease from hell that strictly forbids them from even talking to another city before 2027. They may be able to work out some deal to move from St. Pete to Tampa but that's about it unless they're willing to pay a couple hundred million dollars to relocate. You might get some rumblings from the A's, but I think even they would admit they're better off giving the Giants their pound of flesh to move into San Jose which I think they will ultimately end up doing rather then taking a chance in another market.

The Colorado Rockies have already tried that. Except that team played in the 80s, played hockey, and ended up moving to New Jersey.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Colorado Rockies have already tried that. Except that team played in the 80s, played hockey, and ended up moving to New Jersey.

Plus, the last thing we need is another team with red and blue as their primary colors.

I'm with you there. I wish the Arizona Diamondbacks would go back to their senses and return to the purple/teal look that brought them a World Series title in '01. Why they changed their look is beyond me. Those uniforms are miles better than the unis they have today.

I'm with you there. I wish the Arizona Diamondbacks would go back to their senses and return to the purple/teal look that brought them a World Series title in '01. Why they changed their look is beyond me. Those uniforms are miles better than the unis they have today.

The D-Backs used those colors because it was a trend back then, just like black was in the 2000's. The colors they have now are much more desert-y and more snake-y than teal and purple.

The Rockies use purple because it makes sense with the name. "Purple mountain majesties" refers to the Rocky Mountains, so making the team colors of the Rockies purple makes perfect sense.

spacer.png

Plus, the last thing we need is another team with red and blue as their primary colors.

It's almost to the point where I think we should require every team to have a red/white/blue color scheme. It's really the only thing that anybody wants anymore.

I posted something similar in the Thrift Gem Thread on the Diamondbacks color change:

Slowly, the D-Backs eliminated the colors that made them "unique" even though the Rockies first introduced purple to the NL West. As they eliminated the green and teal, they became too similar to their division rivals, the Colorado Rockies. And while I loved their jersey set, it was a time for change.

They had a new owner and wanted to bring in a new future with Upton, Young, Drew, Reynolds, Webb, and Jackson nicknamed "the Babybacks". They wanted to wash the filthy taste away from their losing season in 2004 where they had to trade Randy Johnson away in the following year. Gonzo had the steroid scandal come up in 2006 while there was no one really left from the 2001 World Champions roster other than the return of Craig Counsell and Randy Johnson.

So I think the change was welcomed by most especially since many saw the state of Arizona as a red state when it comes to their sports teams (Cardinals, Coyotes, ASU, UofA). But I'm willing to say that the execution of the new look of the Diamondbacks to be extremely poor. I love the "sedona red" and the sand, but the script, wordmark, the elimination of the snake-like pattern from the trims of the sleeve and the inability to change the colors of the ballpark make them look extremely minor league. Ironic that their Triple A affiliate, the Reno Aces, have an overall better look than the D-Backs.

Archived