MLB teams that need new unis.

daveindc

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why is it that you people always seem to want to go backwards in time with uniforms and logos and whatnot. after a few seasons of Brown and gold, or brown and orange, half of you would be crying to see a change because it looks to "dated"...

why is it that you people always seem to want to go backwards in time with uniforms and logos and whatnot. after a few seasons of Brown and gold, or brown and orange, half of you would be crying to see a change because it looks to "dated"...

I agree. As much as I like seeing teams "own" a color, brown is just an ugly color and the novelty would wear off again quickly. There's already a team in the NFL that could "own" the color - they're even called the Browns - and they try hard to de-emphasize it much as they as they can.

It's not like it's never been tried before, it just doesn't age well.

I think the problem is that they look too generic. They need to do something else besides navy blue. Maybe they shouldn't go back to brown but they need to pick something to stand out more.

I agree. As much as I like seeing teams "own" a color, brown is just an ugly color and the novelty would wear off again quickly. There's already a team in the NFL that could "own" the color - they're even called the Browns - and they try hard to de-emphasize it much as they as they can.

It's not like it's never been tried before, it just doesn't age well.

I'm willing to bet that the brown merch and the camo crap sells better than their current navy set.

the current set just feels like they gave up on having any unique design whatsoever

I understand where you're coming from, I hate the usage of throwbacks as "new" uniforms. I liked the new Blue Jays jerseys that came out ~1997, and now that they've come full circle, I was disappointed.

However, I think that teams should have unique color schemes. You should be able to identify a team just by their colors, and "navy and white" is not a look that you can identify as the Padres. You don't need to go to "Chocolate/Mustard" in order to separate themselves from the rest of the league... but incorporate brown and gold (or orange) into jerseys can be done without looking dated.

A couple of years ago, the Padres had sand color road jerseys. That's wasn't "tacky" or "dated." You what does look tacky? Camouflage. I think that you could change the wordmarks and not have it be wacky 70s time on your home and road jerseys:

Padre2_zps3ef6a4a9.jpgSD2_zpsda96f88b.jpg

Padre_zps29b93766.jpgSD_zpsa36ca273.jpg

If you want to set the road jerseys as grey, and leave the sand jerseys as alternate... that's a little more conservative, but still a vast improvement. You could add navy into the scheme as the cap color and undershirt, and make that the alternate.

I understand where you're coming from, I hate the usage of throwbacks as "new" uniforms. However, I think that teams should have unique color schemes. You should be able to identify a team just by their colors, and "navy and white" is not a look that you can identify as the Padres. You don't need to go to "Mustard and Chocolate" in order to separate themselves from the rest of the league... but incorporate brown and yellow (or orange) into jerseys can be done without looking dated.

A couple of years ago, the Padres had sand color road jerseys. That's wasn't "tacky" or "dated." You what does look tacky? Camoflague.

I think that you could change the wordmarks and not have it be wacky 70s time on your home and road jerseys:

Padre2_zps3ef6a4a9.jpgSD2_zpsda96f88b.jpg

Padre_zps29b93766.jpgSD_zpsa36ca273.jpg

If you want to set the road jerseys as grey, and leave the sand jerseys as alternate... that's a little more conservative, but still a vast improvement.

They look nice.

Personally, I would like to see a major transition in all MLB teams as I believe as a whole they have the worst uniforms in all of sports. Basically you have white and grey as the two primary colors and that simply sucks. I loved back in the day when the teams suchs as the Pirates (all-yellow), Braves (all-baby blue) and the Royals (all-baby blue) wore colored uniforms on the road. This is a trend that desperately needs to make a comeback in my opinion. Now I cannot see a team like the Yankees or Red Sox going all-color on the road, but there has to be something more than grey.

I really don't like this idea. Baseball is the classic sport where advancing the aesthetics like you propose would do the game no favors.

I'd be all for teams moving away from red/blue and actually putting thought into their looks. But garish uniforms like the 70s would be no good at all.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

1970's/80's uniforms were mostly fads and passing trends. Nowadays' uniforms are getting back to the classic, traditional designs, though slightly updated for the most part, of the per-uniform insanity days of the two aforementioned decades. The powder blues, pullovers, racing stripes and the incorrect way to wear stirrups with white socks mostly showing and two strips of color down the sides, are products of those horrifying times.

Baseball's beginning to look like baseball again.

Yeah, baseball is my favorite sport for uniforms because they have a little less "kewl" than the others. Trends come and go, but they seem to always find their way back. There are obviously a few nit picks ("D-Backs"...too many alts...etc.), but overall they don't "push the envelope" as much and I think it's served 'em well.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Personally, I would like to see a major transition in all MLB teams as I believe as a whole they have the worst uniforms in all of sports. Basically you have white and grey as the two primary colors and that simply sucks. I loved back in the day when the teams suchs as the Pirates (all-yellow), Braves (all-baby blue) and the Royals (all-baby blue) wore colored uniforms on the road. This is a trend that desperately needs to make a comeback in my opinion. Now I cannot see a team like the Yankees or Red Sox going all-color on the road, but there has to be something more than grey.

I really don't like this idea. Baseball is the classic sport where advancing the aesthetics like you propose would do the game no favors.

I'd be all for teams moving away from red/blue and actually putting thought into their looks. But garish uniforms like the 70s would be no good at all.

I have to agree. Not only is this a bad idea, it's also unnecessary. Every team in baseball (except the Yankees) has an alternate jersey (And personally, I think they could do it if they wanted to). Some teams in particular love to use their alternates almost every day, rather than their road grays. There's no need to mandate the practice across the entire league.

I do like that most teams have custom grey jerseys. It's subtle, but if you compare grey jerseys, usually no two are exactly alike.

gray_zps0ae2542c.png

If teams want to go beyond this... I would not necessarily mind, so long as it stays within the team's color scheme. So a sand color for the Padres, a pale blue for the Cubs or Royal, etc. I would not want to see the Cardinals in blue.

1970's/80's uniforms were mostly fads and passing trends. Nowadays' uniforms are getting back to the classic, traditional designs, though slightly updated for the most part, of the per-uniform insanity days of the two aforementioned decades. The powder blues, pullovers, racing stripes and the incorrect way to wear stirrups with white socks mostly showing and two strips of color down the sides, are products of those horrifying times.

Baseball's beginning to look like baseball again.

I agree with most of this, but I don't know, I liked racing stripes. When the Phillies or the Mets combines them with pinstripes, they looked pretty bad, but I like how the Astros used them:

Bagwell%201992%20Upper%20Deck%20TW%20Best%20F.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

My number one remains the Brewers. Go retro, start anew, either way it's time for a new look.

I've always wanted the Brewers to go with a green and metallic gold color scheme. Just seems more "beer-like" for lack of a better word.

***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***

iw6UD.png

Interesting idea.

Can't do it, though; blue has been a signature color of Milwaukee baseball at least as far back as 1913. True Blue Brew Crew and all that.

The Brewers have only been around since 1970, with different shades of blue. I'd rather they keep blue (navy as opposed to powder) than lose it, but the reasoning that blue has been a Milwaukee baseball color is weak because the Brewers shouldn't pretend to be part of something they're not.

The MILWAUKEE Brewers shouldn't pretend to be a part of MILWAUKEE baseball history? That's even weaker my friend. 43 years is more than enough time to cement their place in that history, all of which has seen them in a shade of blue.

No, they shouldn't use a color based on the reasoning that someone else used it in the same city.

They've used it for their entire team history. Who cares if they started because of a previous team in the city. We don't know that they did. When they were the Seattle Pilots, they used royal and gold, as they did when they moved to Milwaukee. If for some reason Milwaukee prides itself on their baseball teams having a shade of blue as it's primary color, then so be it.

I don't care if they use blue, I said the reasoning for using it, if it even is their reasoning, is or would be weak.

While blue has been a part of Milwaukee baseball since the very beginning, I don't think it's as integral to the Milwaukee baseball tradition as say, barrel man, the BiG, or even the block-M.; and considering that half of MLB uses navy, and the hated Cubs use royal blue, I would be open to the Brewers in green. Seeing as how most Brewers fans are really just trying to kill time before the next Packers season, green would be a self-deprecatingly appropriate color for them.

Colorado Rockies - The black and purple days are done. Perhaps something with the red, blue, and yellow colors of the state flag.

San Diego Padres - A return to the brown and mustard days

Cleveland Indians - Chief Wahoo goodbye! nuff said here

Tampa Bay Rays - Well, only when they relocate to Montreal, or Norfolk, or Sacramento, or Memphis, or Birmingham, or Charlotte..you get the idea

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived