MiLB Rebrand Exersizes

raysox

minlog.gif

Hey fellas. I need to get back into a concept groove. While waiting to finish the first phase of a great new project with some guys on here, I decided to do some Minor League Baseball concepts! I want to fix the logos that look extremely outdated in the world of classy minor league logos. I'll probably do a few if I have an idea. I'm open to suggestions, but I won't do them all.

Jupiter Hammerheads

Starting with a home league team for me, the Jupiter Hammerheads' logo is pretty awful now. I used to like it, back in the days when them and the Brevard County Manatees were the only non-pro team names out there. but the Florida State League has evolved to almost making the league like every other. The current logo had uneven outlines, crudly drawn shapes, and 5 different aspects all cluttered into one. I took some cues from the Clearwater Threshers logo, and drew them a new hammerhead logo. I did a top view, hiding the teeth, but trying to give it a mean look. I brought back the J-hook logo because it's ingenious. The script is also cursive like the current road script. Some peple might not approve, but the Marlins are unconventional, and I thought it would be better than matching scripts in this case. The jerseys are pretty standard, meant to match the Marlins design wise, I did some things different. The road stands out by remaining mostly greyscale. I went with a black alternate to match Miami. So that's about it!

tumblr_mnvomueZUa1qe2dhgo1_1280.png

tumblr_mnvomueZUa1qe2dhgo2_1280.png

tumblr_m22qkaAMJy1qk5ynno1_400.gif
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I love the Hammerheads look, however, I don't like the white script on the road jersey. I think you could invert the script and outline color and it would look better.

I'd love to see you separate the Gwinnett Braves' identity from the ATL Braves' one. Maybe even change the name.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

It's probably not needed because the fishhook does that, but I'd prefer if the Hammerhead was curved the other way to look like a J as well. I'd also like a splash of the blue on the road uniforms. It looks a little drab with the lack of color compared to the rest of the set.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Seems like you are getting a lot of requests instead of C&C Mike! lol

The logo itself looks rather nice, it is more vertical than I like, but given the prior logo its a huge improvement. The colors are very nice, and work well together. I agree with Griffin, the white script isn't my favorite, if you flipped it to be black then white I'd like it more (or maybe black then teal?). That J hook logo is wonderful. Overal excellent work.

Great update, though it needs a few fixes. The back numbers are too close to each other...with the outline, the 2 and the 7 even touch each other. As well, an arched NoB would be better; baseball jerseys don't really work well with straight ones. Also, there's something about the logo that seems "off" to me. I love the shark and I like the script, but the way they're put together seems a bit weird. Maybe it's because the logo is from a front view while the shark is seen from the top, I'm not sure.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

That shark logo is beautiful! But I agree with BigBubba, the integration of the shark and script could be better in the primary.

And I really like the Hammerheads script, but the black outline is a little choppy. Some of the points stick out more than others, smooth that up and it'll look more polished. Also, the orange drop shadow seems off to me, especially the top of the S and H.

The lack of teal on the away uniform seems like an odd choice to me. You seem to emphasize teal on everything else, yet it is non existent on the away.

jNTsTyQ.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity why did you put the sleeve patch on the right arm? Looks a bit awkward IMO. Everything else looks awesome though, love the update on the road jersey!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

i think the uniforms look really good, but the logos need some work. those are pretty strong concepts that need some finessing. the biggest thing is the Hammerheads and Jupiter marks look like they belong to 2 different teams. if you just made them both in the same colors, it would help a lot.

the primary logo dosent feel like the word mark and shark icon were designed with each other in mind, just one pasted on top of the other. to give it a stronger presence and better composition i recommend making the shark a bit larger and having the text go over the middle of its body. the text should also be re-worked a bit. the H and S look too separated from the rest of the letters because they're not treated in the same way. giving the whole thing the same arch and aligning the middle of the letters to the top of the end letters would fix that. also, choosing a font with a bit more height would work better. it will just allow the letters to be larger. then, make sure your black and orange strokes (maybe drop orange??) are consistant to pull the whole thing together. the gist of what i mean is below (excuse the poorly drawn tail. im finger painting on my track pad here)

ahtp.jpg

i think the hook-Jupiter script can be worked into this primary as well. i think what would make this concept even stronger is if the script was made to look like a fishing line attached to the hook. just "tie" it to the hook of the eye and maybe even give it a tail sweep (more track pad finger painting)

1jmf.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived