Apple announces redesigned iOS 7

hailstateunis

http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/06/10/apple-ios-7/

Apple announced iOS 7 today, the newest software update on their mobile devices.

The design is completely changed, rid of skeuomorphism and changed to a flatter design. The other new features look exciting, too. Can't wait to get my hands on it in October.

Apple's page on the features of the update- http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

It seems like they're trying to look more like a chat site with the next messaging stuff. Not sure if I'll get used to the new look. I like it how it is now, but with modern design being the way it is, everything is getting simpler unfortunately.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I love the design of the apps themselves. Though, sometimes, an entirely white background makes them look unfinished. Some of the homescreen icons look ridiculously cartoonish. And what is the Game Center icon supposed to be?

About a month after release, no one will remember that it ever looked any different.

PJU85JF.png

Reminds me a lot of the Metro UI... a LOT. Not a bad thing though.

A bit, but also a bit more consumer-friendly. Some of this stuff is pretty egregious though:

2.jpg?itok=Sma92z7j

(Figures the Apple example also has the much more attractive caller)

image44.pngimage45.png

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's hard to believe that this small tube is a $2500+ computer.

2013_mac_pro.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Phones are becoming like politics and sports. I've literally seen people say "we" when referring to Windows Phone. (Apple fans are way worse)

It's a consumer product, I don't understand why the consumers have to feel like they "win."

I say "we" because I bought 30 shares of stock last year and try to talk anyone I can in to buying iPhones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You'd think the way "they" defend those pieces of s***, they all own shares of stock. Well they just stole design cues from Microsoft & Android. The same Microsoft & Android designs they bashed months ago.

IMO, the bashers outnumber and are more obnoxious than the defenders now. The "Galaxy" crowd and even Microsoft crowd has become what the Apple crowd was a few years ago. As much as Samsung's commercial making fun of the Apple sheep was a huge success, it also had the dual effect of making their people just as bad.

All three camps are bad.

Part of the reason why it's like this over a consumer electronics device is because of what it represents. For a while (I don't think it's true anymore), iPhone users were preceived as the younger more tech savvy crowd who fit in with the "liberal" stereotype. The reality was probably different, but that was the preception. They fed off of it and took pride in it, and on the flip side, the Tnaks of the world hated them and the device that represented them.

Blackberrys were the evil corporate Republican device, who's users hate hippies, and by proxy, their devices. Not sure how Android fit in, I guess it's just people who felt left out of the hate and weren't really part of a distinct group so they formed their own fraternity and the initiation is to hate Apple fans.

Again, the reality of who is the user base of all of these devices is far different than the preception, but often times reality is not what's important.

The bottom line - if you think either of these devices suck, you are an idiot. If you feel that the phone you have makes you better than someone else, or that someone else's phone makes them inferior, you're an idiot. If you don't understand that your hatred of "fanboys" makes you just as bad as them, you're an idiot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I cannot own an iPhone merely for the development restrictions and the fact that I want to mold my Android in my own image, as it were. I like being able to root my Droid and do whatever the hell I want with it.

Apple is perfect for people who want a seamless experience because they own the device, the firmware, the software, the distribution, the app store and the applications themselves.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

There are important behind the scenes changes as well, such as how it adjusts cpu cycles to background processes in order to conserve battery life while multitasking. If that really works, that's huge. Power is pretty much the one part of these devices that has a finite physical limit. We haven't hit that limit yet, but at some point there's only so much power you can put in a battery that's a good size for a phone. New CPUs draw less power, and will probably continue to do so, but attacking it like this is really pretty smart. Not sure if Android has that functionality or not.

graphics wise im not a fan of iOS7. i dont mind the aesthetic style change direction thats fine (and i dont think they are copying competitors which ive heard a few times, they're just following modern design trends. no one owns "flat design". that like saying X owns grunge or web 2.0 styles) but the execution of it seems directed towards small children. the colors, gradients, fonts, all feel weak and way too playful. its not a graphics package i want to use myself. that said, its still Apple. i love my iphone, im not switching to another brand (i dont feel any reason to) so we'll see how it goes. how it actually works is what im more concerned about

the new Mac Pro is pretty damn sexy. but i have to say im sitting at Starbucks right now and the trash cans here look exactly like this thing. whatevs, you can always compare something to something else. it really is a cool looking design though. its shocking at first because it dosent look like anything thats come before it, but once that initial shock wears off i think i could adjust to this nicely. the fact that its made in the US is a big deal to me. right now im set with my Macbook, but if im in the market for a desktop again, i'll likely buy this one.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't like it. I had an iPhone 4, then went to a Droid. I liked the iOS whatever i last updated to better than the Android OS because it was simpler and more laid out to use. iOS 7 looks way too much like the newest Android OS which I loathe completely. Hopefully I get an iPhone 5 before iOS 7 is released

AmPJ0Ty.png 

About a month after release, no one will remember that it ever looked any different.

I wouldn't go that far. The old format will have been more or less the same for nearly seven years by the time iOS7 is available to consumers. It'll take more than a month to make iOS users to forget about it altogether.

I like the new design. Some app icons, like the calendar, are major downgrades, but overall it's a good aesthetic upgrade. The Control Panel is a welcome addition as well.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived