Norfolk Neptunes

Avenger

I'm working on the NCFA's Norfolk Neptunes logo for BJDellarte, and this is what I have so far... what do you guys think, both in terms of color selection and the overall concept? He'll be sporting a pitch-fork-thingy that'll go from his right hand to his left hand, pointing up and to the right. Colors are Neptune Green (the Pantone metallic aqua color), nautical blue, silver, and yellow.

norfolk.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm working on the NCFA's Norfolk Neptunes logo for BJDellarte, and this is what I have so far... what do you guys think, both in terms of color selection and the overall concept? He'll be sporting a pitch-fork-thingy that'll go from his right hand to his left hand, pointing up and to the right. Colors are Neptune Green (the Pantone metallic aqua color), nautical blue, silver, and yellow.

Fanfreakintastic

CGP.gif

As usual, I'm liking it. The finished product should be sick, but there are 1 or 2 things about it that kinda bug me...

1. The crown... I'm not sure if that yellow piece is going to remain the lone yellow piece, or if the rest of the crown will follow (the metallic aqua).

2. The yellow in the wordmark. I'm not crazy about the yellow border... unless maybe the image itself will also have a yellow border and the two will connect that way. Also, I might try having "NEPTUNES" in white and see if it looks better than in yellow. I guess I'm just not too into the use of yellow here.

Other than that, what you have so far is good. I like the emphasis on "NORFOLK" over "NEPTUNES" for a change. And the logo itself is very King Tritan-esque from the Little Mermaid (and that's a good thing, the Little Mermaid ruled :P ) Can't wait for the final concept.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

2. The yellow in the wordmark. I'm not crazy about the yellow border... unless maybe the image itself will also have a yellow border and the two will connect that way. Also, I might try having "NEPTUNES" in white and see if it looks better than in yellow. I guess I'm just not too into the use of yellow here.

When "Neptunes" was in white, it got lost into "Norfolk", even with the gray half of the school's name.

The whole image will be outlined in yellow, matching the weight of the line around the wordmark. I put yellow in to warm up the scheme a little bit... It felt so lifeless without it, and I really dig how it works here.

looking pretty good so far.

1. That big jagged blue line on his cheek looks wierd to me. Maybe something softer to give the hint of the facial feature and bone, or maybe nothing at all.

2. The crown looks off. Mainly the aqua-yellow-aqua part. I guess you're trying to show the angles, but it looks just like random patches of color.

3. His left arm in the elbow area looks awkward. Well, not the elbow joint itself, just the art right above it on the backside of the arm. It looks like it might be too long. Like the tricep/bicep area(the deltoid looks fine) is too long. If you look at the bicep on the top of the arm, it is already curving back down when it hits the wave, yet extends a really long distance under the wave to the elbow. Maybe the wave could hit him a little higher up on the bicep and you could move the forearm up to meet it. Or something. I don't really know. But think about this: When standing up with your arm relaxed at your side, the crease in your arm where the elbow is is pretty much in line with your navel. If you think about how the arm would look if it were straight on this guy, the elbow would be below the navel. It'd be close, but still too long I think. Don't change the forearm, it looks good.

4. I can see it both ways, but if the trident is going to be going up and to the right, shouldn't the left shoulder be higher than the right? Depends really on that right arm when it is placed in.

P.S. You are in AI 10, right? How did you get the NORFOLK text to be white and gray? I've seen that but don't know how to do it. Wordmark looks real good.

Love the wordmark, Avenger! I like the direction you are heading with this. My advice would be to get it complete with the trident in hand then step back and see what you can take away to simplify and combine shapes. I'd be concerned about the logo at a reduced size at this point. Color choices are unique and really work well together.

Love the wordmark, Avenger! I like the direction you are heading with this. My advice would be to get it complete with the trident in hand then step back and see what you can take away to simplify and combine shapes. I'd be concerned about the logo at a reduced size at this point. Color choices are unique and really work well together.

Agreed on all counts.

Slick wordmark!

Well done Avenger.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Separate the L and the K in the wordmark...when I step back to look at it (per rozailla's suggestion) I read it as NORFOUK, not Norfolk. Most of those letters have very straight verticals, and the connection between the L and the K reads as a U.

The N in Norfolk also seems a little out of proportion to the rest of the city name, not just due to its size. The strokes are thicker, and the top left corner seems a little clunky. If you're going to have the corner stick out, I'd make it the same size as the top parts of the rest of the letters in Norfolk.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I actually realized this problem before you made mention, and I shared your thoughts in terms of some of the detail.

I've since removed a lot of shapes, and am still working on the arms. How come I always find arms and hands the most difficult part of a logo to compose?

Anyways, I really appreciate the comments thus far, guys, and I've already applied quite a bit of it.

Separate the L and the K in the wordmark...when I step back to look at it (per rozailla's suggestion) I read it as NORFOUK, not Norfolk.

That's funny... That's how we pronounce it down here. :P

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Nice work, but I'm also not feeling it. Neptune's image is just kind of creepy. I know he's a shirtless old man, but I just don't care for it on logos. I like the simple trident better.

I'm going to have a trident/crown/shield alternate logo for helmets and other alternate aplications, as well as an "N" logo.

norfolk.gif

Holy Mother of all Logo God's, that's one of the coolest logos I've seen in a long time. I love the "Greek" feel of it. Great job man!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived