NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

Well, I was responding to post 3178 which suggested all Sox fans were to blame for using the Marathon as a rallying cry for Boston fans. I can see why a Phins fan and NJ native would be tired of the Sox and Patriots though.

Not sure how that is/would be Boston fans fault.

I'm a Boston fan and I haven't turned the Marathon tragedy into a "hey look how awesome our fans are!"

NO but ESPN and SI have to a sickening level

Does not matter if Boston fans are to blame, i am sick of Boston. Think of it as you felt when the Yankees kept winning. I hate the Pats and Sawx to begin with, i am phins fan and i am from nj. So i dont blame the fans, but i do want espn to get it stuck where the sun dont shine.

Can the Lions just fire Schwartz now? Bring in a coach that can show this team some discipline. Schwartz just doesn't seem to have this mentality and it is showing in the players. Just can't let the Eagles come back and beat them in the 4th Quarter like they did.

Ive been saying that for years. The lions have loads of talent but no discipline and the coach is to blame.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where were last night's Saints and yesterday's Seahawks last Monday? :cursing:

Watching the last 2 minutes of Ravens-Vikings again this morning was damn near worth my $40 subscription to NFL Rewind in and of itself. Thought the catch that won it for the Ravens looked questionable but there was really no way to tell.

Here's your NY-NJ Super Bowl preview:

Ba-4JiWCQAA380v.png

AWWWWWWWWSOME!

Interesting how (I assume) they used the technology that projects the first down line to show the yard line numbers for the TV audience. Kind of crazy to imagine playing when you're not really certain which yard line is which.

Ba_MvShCQAAAFYO_zps65f4daa6.jpg

Hey, where did everyone go?

They were trying for the world's quietest stadium record.

That was quite possibly the worst late-game PI call I have ever seen. Lucky for the refs, this game isn't being played in Cleveland.

Agreed. A total joke.

A new record for longest Field Goal ever Matt Prater bye bye Tom Dempsey and your wooden foot, you are now just a foot note.

Is making fun of someone's handicap really necessary? The guy had one hand and half a foot and still accomplished something millions of able-bodied people can't do - play in the NFL. Not to mention set a record that stood for 40+ years. It was inevitable that the record would be broken but remember that Dempsey did it at sea level on a crappy, torn-up grass field under game-on-the-line pressure.

And by the way, Dempsey was about the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He lived in an apartment complex near our neighborhood and word of his address got around. It was gated but that didn't keep a brigade of pesky fans and local kids (yours truly included...hey, I was 9) from going to his door all the time asking for autographs. He never turned anyone away and was a lot nicer than a lot of players would have been in the same situation.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

A new record for longest Field Goal ever Matt Prater bye bye Tom Dempsey and your wooden foot, you are now just a foot note.

Is making fun of someone's handicap really necessary? The guy had one hand and half a foot and still accomplished something millions of able-bodied people can't do - play in the NFL. Not to mention set a record that stood for 40+ years. It was inevitable that the record would be broken but remember that Dempsey did it at sea level on a crappy, torn-up grass field under game-on-the-line pressure.

And by the way, Dempsey was about the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He lived in an apartment complex near our neighborhood and word of his address got around. It was gated but that didn't keep a brigade of pesky fans and local kids (yours truly included...hey, I was 9) from going to his door all the time asking for autographs. He never turned anyone away and was a lot nicer than a lot of players would have been in the same situation.

Oh, come on, it's just silly sports banter. Guy had a wooden foot! You can't not say something about a wooden foot. Just because the team is named the Saints doesn't mean every player has been canonized. Lighten up, geez.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh, come on, it's just silly sports banter. Guy had a wooden foot! You can't not say something about a wooden foot. Just because the team is named the Saints doesn't mean every player has been canonized. Lighten up, geez.

He didn't have a wooden foot for crying out loud. He was born without toes on his right foot.

Suggesting someone not make fun of a disability is hardly "canonizing" the person. You have your opinion, I have mine. How 'bout we agree to disagree?

And...if memory serves, he was a defensive lineman in college so it's not like kicking was all he could do.

BB52Big.jpg

He didn't have a wooden foot for crying out loud. He was born without toes on his right foot.

Suggesting someone not make fun of a disability is hardly "canonizing" the person. You have your opinion, I have mine. How 'bout we agree to disagree?

I think the admiral was being facetious.

And...if memory serves, he was a defensive lineman in college so it's not like kicking was all he could do.

I was just using sports banter, he had a block of wood in his shoe and had deformed foot, but I was more happy to see Prater break the tie than Dempsey to lose the record, and even in the loss of the record it was a great accomplishment for an otherwise terrible kicker who often missed half of his kicks.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I was just using sports banter, he had a block of wood in his shoe and had deformed foot, but I was more happy to see Prater break the tie than Dempsey to lose the record, and even in the loss of the record it was a great accomplishment for an otherwise terrible kicker who often missed half of his kicks.

Isn't that par for the course back in the 1970s?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think the admiral was being facetious.

On a second read, you may be right. If so, Admiral, mea culpa.

Just for you, Francis...

http://youtu.be/hu73YSmtiXU

But not always, right? Sometimes he'd only miss a third of his kicks, etc. B)

BB52Big.jpg

That's a pretty amazing video. That he made it is astounding, Billy Kilmer's mechanics are hilarious, and with the goalposts at the front of the goal line the Saints only needed to get to their own 44 yard line to win the game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Does anybody know what the temperature was when Dempsey kicked his FG? I always thought it looked really cold in the video but it's probably just the video quality. After all, it was in New Orleans, so it was probably relatively warm. I only mention it because I keep hearing about how Prater did it at altitude so he had an advantage. But it was around 16 degrees at the time of the kick, so the ball was likely rock hard and he said that, at the time of the kick, he didn't have much feeling in his feet. Not to mention the cold air might've negated any distance the altitude added. I hope sports science takes a look at it.

IUe6Hvh.png

I've always found the altitude argument a bit disingenuous anyway. It's not like Jason Elam or Matt Prater would be stiffs elsewhere, and unlike during the baseball season*, it's cold as hell in Denver during the football season, and as you alluded to, cold air (and wind effects) mitigate much of the altitude advantage (at least, I imagine it does).

*I don't live in Denver and don't know summer temps, obviously, but I have to imagine it's much warmer during April-September than, well, September-December.

spacer.png

I've always found the altitude argument a bit disingenuous anyway. It's not like Jason Elam or Matt Prater would be stiffs elsewhere, and unlike during the baseball season*, it's cold as hell in Denver during the football season, and as you alluded to, cold air (and wind effects) mitigate much of the altitude advantage (at least, I imagine it does).

*I don't live in Denver and don't know summer temps, obviously, but I have to imagine it's much warmer during April-September than, well, September-December.

April-June is usually in the 40-70 range. Same with September. But in July and August it gets pretty warm, mid 80's to mid-90's.

jNTsTyQ.png

April-June is usually in the 40-70 range. Same with September. But in July and August it gets pretty warm, mid 80's to mid-90's.

Mid 80's to mid 90's? In July & August it's typically in the high 80's to the low 100's. The only redeeming factor in that is that it's very low humidity.

Archived