Small details that bother you

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Georgia's football helmet's bug me because of the lack of a black stripe down the middle. There's black on the pants, black on the jerseys, black in the "G" logo, but only a lone white stripe down the middle.

Has this helmet ever been used? It looks much better, although I'd reverse the stripes and go black-white-black...

I think the white and black stripes look really good.

I hate the white stripe on Georgia's helmet. I don't really like a single white stripe on helmets at all. I can give Alabama a bit of a pass since they don't have another color. But Georgia should really either eliminate that stripe or do something involving black.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Georgia's football helmet's bug me because of the lack of a black stripe down the middle. There's black on the pants, black on the jerseys, black in the "G" logo, but only a lone white stripe down the middle.

20120929_lbm_av3_503.0_standard_352.0.jp

Has this helmet ever been used? It looks much better, although I'd reverse the stripes and go black-white-black...

uga-black-mask1.jpg

I think the white and black stripes look really good.

I hate the white stripe on Georgia's helmet. I don't really like a single white stripe on helmets at all. I can give Alabama a bit of a pass since they don't have another color. But Georgia should really either eliminate that stripe or do something involving black.

Kentucky added a completely unnecessary white stripe down the middle of their helmets a couple years ago. I never have liked it.

Before:

cobbuniform.jpg

After:

AP_Kent_St_Kentucky_Football-x-large.jpg

Basketball jerseys in general. They never look good. Every time I see someone wearing one in public they always look like their either malnourished or from a broken home.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

20120929_lbm_av3_503.0_standard_352.0.jp

uga-black-mask1.jpg

That helmet was used in a bowl game in 1991 or 1992 against Arkansas I think(?) The Champ Bailey days had the black stripe down the helmet with the white facemask. I think the black in the logo is enough to match the rest of the uniform. Not having black in the stripe doesn't bother me that much. If there was no black in the logo then it'd be stupid.

I preferred that helmet to the single white striped helmet even though that is the more classic Georgia helmet. I thought it brought the entire look together.

bailey2.jpgPEACHBOWL-UGA-VS-UVA-1_302142-225x300.jp

Champ-Bailey-Superman.jpg

I think I've become a bigger fan of that helmet from those photos. The black stripe does look good.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That the Lakers do not use drop shadow anymore and the use of the white jersey and the non-use of the purple jersey.

I think you have it the other way around. The purple is for road games while the white is only for sunday/holiday home games.

My bad, I don't follow the NBA that closely at all. Still wish they stuck with the drop shadow.

Me too. BTW the 1972 NBA All Star Game was played in Los Angeles and those jerseys did not have the drop shadow, either. I wonder if the current non-drop shadowed numbers drew inspiration from those.

059.JPG

Also, the number "4" with vs. without the extension.

byron-scott-1.jpgbyron%20scott%204%20yellow%20jersey.jpg

And also the retired Lakers jersey numbers not looking like those worn in games, except for Shaq's.

165775009-the-retired-jerseys-of-former-

Since the NBA went to Adidas' Rev30, the names on some of the uniforms shrink in size. Here's a comparison of Kobe Bryant's Lakers uniforms. Also note the extra white outline on the numbers of the Rev30.

19960a_lg.jpeg 2007 Pre-Rev30

6134A_lg.jpeg

2012 Rev30

From the 2010 NBA preview on ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/101026_uni_watch_NBA_preview

• Super-obsessive detail: All player name lettering, regardless of typeface, is now 2½ inches high. "There was a time when they were all 3 inches," says NBA apparel director Christopher Arena. "But years ago, when we did the Pistons and the Raptors, which had the names running straight across instead of arched, we went down to 2½ because we knew it was going to be a tight fit. Then we had some teams that had inserts and side panels invading the shoulder area, so they went to 2½ as well. And eventually we just decided that's the best size for everyone, especially if you get some players with long names."

I also think that larger names look better.

• Uniform numbers on all jerseys are now made from a mesh fabric. The lone exception is the front of the Warriors' new jerseys, which have an unusual number setup, so they're sticking with old-style twill numerals. (Also of note: Uni Watch had reported in a previous column that the new mesh numbers would be heat-applied, not sewn on, but that is incorrect. The numbers are indeed being sewn onto the jerseys. In some cases, the construction and application of the numbers has had the effect of creating a new outline color.)

This addresses the reason for the extra outline, which generally isn't noticeable except on white jerseys or unless you're looking for it. (And of course, up close.)

130413110806-kobe-bryant-injury-future-s

Basketball jerseys in general. They never look good. Every time I see someone wearing one in public they always look like their either malnourished or from a broken home.

I think this is why adidas is introducing sleeved jerseys. That and also to make more money.

I only like stencil numbers when the number actually needs to be broken up to be stenciled. The 5 and 7 here can be cut for a stencil in one piece; having them broken up just to get the stencil look really bothers me.

9322319.jpeg

This has probably already been said, but I don't want to go through 24 pages so I apologize, but watching the games yesterday reminded me of it.

It really bothers me when teams that have helmet logos at midfield have the ear hole colored in, instead of being empty.

Colts_Wide_2.png

6596078.jpg

I don't know why it bothers me, it just does.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

The Florida Gators have become known (at least around here) for their orange-blue-white striping pattern. While I like the consistency, the inconsistent line weights from the pants to the jerseys really bug me.

(I'm on my phone so I can only post a link to a photo.)

EXAMPLES:http://m.nydailynews.com/1.397900#bmb=1

http://m.zimbio.com/pictures/1l9TJJMH-w-/SEC+Football+Championship+Florida+v+Alabama/DQHqtmeLATv/Louis+Murphy

This has probably already been said, but I don't want to go through 24 pages so I apologize, but watching the games yesterday reminded me of it.

It really bothers me when teams that have helmet logos at midfield have the ear hole colored in, instead of being empty.

Colts_Wide_2.png

6596078.jpg

It's supposed to emulate a real helmet. The bright blue one above is a bit odd, but when they're black or a dark color, it's not exactly that far off.

1-Chargers-helmet.jpg

Besides I think the random green patch in the middle of the helmet would look just as odd as the blue does

Colts_Wide_2.png

6596078.jpg

It's supposed to emulate a real helmet. The bright blue one above is a bit odd, but when they're black or a dark color, it's not exactly that far off.

1-Chargers-helmet.jpg

Besides I think the random green patch in the middle of the helmet would look just as odd as the blue does

Yea, I'd much prefer them to be black, or even grey.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Archived