2013/14 International Football Thread

Amazed at how fast Fulham has fallen off the face of the earth...

Pretty much down to them being owned by Shahid Khan now - who also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars.

A lot of poor off the field moves which were less common under previous owner Al Fayed.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wigan shocks Man City again. Incredible.

Wow. I wonder if this result was worse than last year's for Man City.

It's gotta be, no?

I mean, yeah, last year was the Final and everything, but consider that City:

*is better this year

*no managerial turmoil

*at home

*would have 10x the motivation after last year

and that Wigan is a relegated side this year, and I don't see how this one isn't a bigger upset. Which, of course, makes it even more memorable.

spacer.png

What a huge and memorable win for Wigan over Man City. Great to see the holders make it back to Wembley, especially for a Championship side. Yes it's a good draw for my Gunners in the second semi-final but I'm sure hoping that Arsenal watch their play and not be complacent. Wigan has beaten Arsenal in the past. I have to say both semi-finals are good matchups.

Amazed at how fast Fulham has fallen off the face of the earth. Fulham was a solid mid-table club 2-3 years ago when they had Dempsey in full form. After Dempsey left, the club just kinda fell apart. Jol changed his style of attack and got himself fired, the new manager has no idea what he's doing.

Watching the Cardiff City Fulham game was just shocking. I haven't been watching too many Fulham games but I am just amazed at how fast this club has gone into the :censored:ter.

I still remember a late winner that Fulham scored against Arsenal a few years back. Bobby Zamora I believe. I was a "on the fence" Fulham fan for a few years previously to that moment, but completely jumped on the bandwagon after that. Sad to see what has become of them.

There's no such thing as being a "solid mid-table" club, really. It's a fallacy.

6fQjS3M.png

Amazed at how fast Fulham has fallen off the face of the earth. Fulham was a solid mid-table club 2-3 years ago when they had Dempsey in full form. After Dempsey left, the club just kinda fell apart. Jol changed his style of attack and got himself fired, the new manager has no idea what he's doing.

Watching the Cardiff City Fulham game was just shocking. I haven't been watching too many Fulham games but I am just amazed at how fast this club has gone into the :censored:ter.

I still remember a late winner that Fulham scored against Arsenal a few years back. Bobby Zamora I believe. I was a "on the fence" Fulham fan for a few years previously to that moment, but completely jumped on the bandwagon after that. Sad to see what has become of them.

There's no such thing as being a "solid mid-table" club, really. It's a fallacy.

I disagree.

Stage 4: Depression.

Don't worry Alex, I'm sure Villa will climb right back up that table

Needless to say, I'm gunning [ :lol: ] for Wigan to top Arsenal after what happened to Everton this weekend. Also pulling for Hull, although they're probably going to win anyway, they're a decent side.

Well I want to see my Gunners win in the semifinal and get a chance at silverware but Wigan will be a good opponent. As for the other semifinal, I would love to see Sheffield United progress. It will be a good day out for either Hull City of Sheffield United supporters for whoever makes it to the Final!

I disagree.

I'd be curious to know why. There are two clubs this year that are "solidly mid-table"—Newcastle and Southampton—and they were both very much involved in the relegation battle last year.

From season to season, sure, a club can be solidly mid-table.

But the EPL is two groups of clubs right now—Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, and Spurs constitute the teams chasing the Champions League. Everyone else goes into the season with the possibility of going down.

6fQjS3M.png

I still don't see Everton part of the group that pushes for Champions League every year. It was only recent where their play has given them this opportunity. It isn't consistent. I see them part of the mid table Newcastle and Southampton group.

I disagree.

I'd be curious to know why. There are two clubs this year that are "solidly mid-table"—Newcastle and Southampton—and they were both very much involved in the relegation battle last year.

From season to season, sure, a club can be solidly mid-table.

But the EPL is two groups of clubs right now—Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, and Spurs constitute the teams chasing the Champions League. Everyone else goes into the season with the possibility of going down.

So Munich and Atletico are the ones to move on, no real surprise for me there.

But three missed penalties in that Arsenal-Bayern aggregate, that's an odd stat.

I agree that is an odd stat. The UK press is all over Arsenal about their quality of play over the two legs. Oxlade-Chamberlain was the standout player over both legs for Arsenal. Ozil was non-existent...and he was 42m. But what the press isn't saying about is how blattant Arjen Robben's dives were in both legs. Yes in the first leg, Szczesny did marginally catch Robben but he made a meal of it in the after math. Then in the second leg, he had one of the most disgusting blattant dives with no retribution from the match official, plus two other questionable dives. And one of them was awarded for a penalty kick. I enjoy watching Bayern play but I'm really disgusted that a cheater like Robben isn't getting hanged out to dry by both UEFA and the European press for cheating ways. There my Arsenal rant is over :) I feel better now.

As for Atletico...all I can say is WOW! Andy Brasso, a European football journalist, said prior to the Round 16 Draw that no club wants to play Atletico because of how dangerous they are. They are no flash in the pan.

As for today's matches, is there any doubts on Barca and PSG progressing today? I see PSG winning 3-0 and Man City/Barca ending 1-1.

But three missed penalties in that Arsenal-Bayern aggregate, that's an odd stat.

..."But what the press isn't saying about is how blattant Arjen Robben's dives were in both legs."...

The British press has definitely mentioned that topic. Several papers have and it was even a topic of discussion on the Sky Sports News channel.

..."But what the press isn't saying about is how blattant Arjen Robben's dives were in both legs."...

The British press has definitely mentioned that topic. Several papers have and it was even a topic of discussion on the Sky Sports News channel.

That's good to hear about the press mentioning the topic. Was listening to BBC 5 Live yesterday and they said it wasn't mentioned at all, except on passing on 5 Live.

But in the end, no discplinary action will be taken against cheaters like Robben. Cheaters still get away with diving in the game, and it's a poison that is rampant throughout the global game.

But in the end, no discplinary action will be taken against cheaters like Robben. Cheaters still get away with diving in the game, and it's a poison that is rampant throughout the global game.

Basically - the domestic football associations in Europe can't bring in rules about retrospectively punishing divers because UEFA won't allow it. UEFA want to but are being overuled by FIFA who won't allow it. Sepp Blatter doesn't want to and that is final. If it were up to me then I would heavily punish players who were repeat offenders.

The same thing can be said about using technology. Blatter doesn't want it and forces his favoured method of extra officials behind the goal - which doesn't solve any problems and is no more "organic" to the sport than using technology would be.

Basically - the domestic football associations in Europe can't bring in rules about retrospectively punishing divers because UEFA won't allow it. UEFA want to but are being overuled by FIFA who won't allow it. Sepp Blatter doesn't want to and that is final. If it were up to me then I would heavily punish players who were repeat offenders.

The same thing can be said about using technology. Blatter doesn't want it and forces his favoured method of extra officials behind the goal - which doesn't solve any problems and is no more "organic" to the sport than using technology would be.

I understand that the IFA needs to rule on the retrospective discipline for repeat offenders of divers. If the IFA agrees on it, FIFA and all the other confederations will have to follow. I know the FA was talking at the beginning of the season about retrospective discipline for divers that weren't sanctioned by the match official but caught on video. Here's hoping this becomes a reality. It took some time before goal line technology was introduced and the BPL has proved it works flawlessly. Hence why they are using it at the World Cup this year. I think dinosaurs like Blatter and Platini need come into the present and look to the future about football. The game is so much faster than it use to be and full of cheaters. Just an opinion of a die hard football supporter and a qualified Canadian football referee with 14 years experience

Archived