2013/14 International Football Thread

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is currently a great example of how unsufferably annoying most Manchester United fans are

Don't worry, he's just trash talking knowing that their suckage won't last long and Manchester United will eventually go back to dominance as usual when next season comes!

What the hell is fun about being a Manchester United supporter? I don't get it. You lot expect a championship every year and when you're finishing outside the top six, it's like the end of the world.

Please don't tell me Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Barcelona etc. fans are any different than us! Please. I know it's the du jour thing to hate on United, but come on.

Plus, I have the Jets, Rangers, Knicks, Nets to balance all that.

It's like having championship expectations or a standard of excellence is a bad thing.

Like I said in the similar conversation in the domestic thread, I'd rather be a ManU fan with title aspirations every season than be a mid table supporter just hoping upon hopes to get to 6th place and the Europa League or not have a slip up season and get relegated.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It's like having championship expectations or a standard of excellence is a bad thing.

Like I said in the similar conversation in the domestic thread, I'd rather be a ManU fan with title aspirations every season than be a mid table supporter just hoping upon hopes to get to 6th place and the Europa League or not have a slip up season and get relegated.

I don't think it is any of this that people have a problem with.

Fans from other clubs (myself included) find it a bit shortlived at the amount of moaning on social media by a generation of Manchester United fans who are only used to winning. I feel aggrieved that they have had a very short insight into the 'life' of other fans yet it is seen as the end of the world to them almost. It hasn't been everyone sure, but it has been prominent enough to be annoying.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

My thoughts exactly Marbles. We football supporters all have the right to moan and gripe about our clubs fortune and misfortune. But when supporters of self-entitled clubs like Manchester United start moaning through social media and radio phone-in shows only after two months of a new era, they don't know what it's like to be a true supporter. What did they expect, that Moyes would continue on with same level of winning that Ferguson had? That is completely near-sighted by those supporters. There is always a period of transition when a new manager comes in. Even worse when the club has such a rich history and all the pressures that are associated with it like United. That's why Moyes got a six year contract because the board knew there would have to be a transition period.

Though, in a way, I'm glad United is going through a rough year.

I'm not going to get labeled as a bandwagon jumper for being a United fan in America as much. And of course when we get back to the top, it'll be sweeter, but yeah, I know now how it feels to be Liverpool or Arsenal fans with how much disappointment they have received lately.

One year of disappointment =/= zero trophies in nine years or no league titles in the Premier League era. That's a hilariously overstated way of getting your point across.

Rooting for clubs that tend to be towards the top vs. clubs towards the bottom has always had an interesting dichotomy to me, anyway. For people who root for United, or Chelsea (or, to a lesser extent at the present time, Arsenal), trophies are expected and there will always be more coming through than for smaller clubs. At the same rate, I'd wager that one EPL title in 2012 for Man City probably meant more to their fans than those many, many titles that United has won in the same "since 1968" time span, because so much time towards the bottom makes success taste that much sweeter. For me personally, I probably thoroughly enjoyed the Lightning's 2004 and 2011 playoff runs more than any Yankees playoff run just because the Lightning are usually a sad sack franchise while the Yankees are perennially a top franchise. I wouldn't trade all the productive Yankees seasons for what would be their equivalency with the Lightning (you know, when the Lightning were losing 50+ games a year in an NHL where ties still existed), but the fleeting success was much more pleasurable.

Same applies to soccer, I guess. With absolutely no disrespect or anything in the direction of any of the United fans here or elsewhere, I'd wager quite a bit that Crash Carson would get immeasurably more joy out of an Aston Villa EPL title than any United fans from another United title. I'd include Mockba with Norwich, but Norwich is one of those clubs that I can't seem to ever envision getting over the top at any conceivable point soon unless they become the next club to be taken over by an oil tycoon; sorry dude.

what the hell did I just write? My brain hurts tonight.

spacer.png

One year of disappointment =/= zero trophies in nine years or no league titles in the Premier League era. That's a hilariously overstated way of getting your point across.

Rooting for clubs that tend to be towards the top vs. clubs towards the bottom has always had an interesting dichotomy to me, anyway. For people who root for United, or Chelsea (or, to a lesser extent at the present time, Arsenal), trophies are expected and there will always be more coming through than for smaller clubs. At the same rate, I'd wager that one EPL title in 2012 for Man City probably meant more to their fans than those many, many titles that United has won in the same "since 1968" time span, because so much time towards the bottom makes success taste that much sweeter. For me personally, I probably thoroughly enjoyed the Lightning's 2004 and 2011 playoff runs more than any Yankees playoff run just because the Lightning are usually a sad sack franchise while the Yankees are perennially a top franchise. I wouldn't trade all the productive Yankees seasons for what would be their equivalency with the Lightning (you know, when the Lightning were losing 50+ games a year in an NHL where ties still existed), but the fleeting success was much more pleasurable.

Same applies to soccer, I guess. With absolutely no disrespect or anything in the direction of any of the United fans here or elsewhere, I'd wager quite a bit that Crash Carson would get immeasurably more joy out of an Aston Villa EPL title than any United fans from another United title. I'd include Mockba with Norwich, but Norwich is one of those clubs that I can't seem to ever envision getting over the top at any conceivable point soon unless they become the next club to be taken over by an oil tycoon; sorry dude.

what the hell did I just write? My brain hurts tonight.

Nice way to put it Kramerica...spot on!

Well, also since there's not that much coverage of BPL soccer over here (almost none until NBC bought the rights) people only got or bothered to watch the 'big' games if any at all. So if all you're watching is Man United vs Chelsea a couple times a year, you'll probably end up cheering for one of those teams, especially if you're young. Very rarely do I see someone in Ottawa or Canada in general who's not a fan of one of the 'Big 5' (including Liverpool for this situation.)

So it's not much glory hunting or bandwagoning as much in North America rather than a general 'dont-give-a-crapness' about the bottom three quarters of the table IMO.

Yeah, and it's probably the reverse with Europeans who are fans of North American sports teams; probably a whole hell of a lot more Yankees and Red Sox folks than Padres and Pirates. It stands to reason and there's nothing wrong with it; it's hard to become a fan of a team that you never actually get a chance to watch.

spacer.png

Agreed. where I live, everybody roots for the big 5. Sometimes, you see some Dortmund fans or Milan fans who claim they "dislike" English football. I started to support Fulham at a young age because I wanted to root for somebody different. Played FIFA With them, watched them on TV when they are on, and now take the abuse for them closing in on relegation

I'm not going to get labeled as a bandwagon jumper for being a United fan in America as much. And of course when we get back to the top, it'll be sweeter, but yeah, I know now how it feels to be Liverpool or Arsenal fans with how much disappointment they have received lately.

Don't you also root for Real, Bayern, and PSG? That is pretty much the definition of bandwagon jumping. One rough year is nothing.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Don't you also root for Real, Bayern, and PSG? That is pretty much the definition of bandwagon jumping. One rough year is nothing.

I like certain players Ibra for PSG, and for Real, Christiano Ronaldo. As for Bayern, I like their style of play, as well as being fascinated about Bavaria. Don't get me wrong, I do like them, but my #1's are definitely Man United and NY Red Bulls,any other clubs are a distant second and I do not get into their games as much! Sorry if I did not make that clear in that thread.

I like certain players Ibra for PSG, and for Real, Christiano Ronaldo. As for Bayern, I like their style of play, as well as being fascinated about Bavaria. Don't get me wrong, I do like them, but my #1's are definitely Man United and NY Red Bulls,any other clubs are a distant second and I do not get into their games as much! Sorry if I did not make that clear in that thread.
So you root for star players/teams.

You are a sports frontrunner.

Let's not rip into people just because their favourite teams are good, loyalties lie where loyalties lie and as long as you're faithful, go cheer for anyone you want, okay?

Anyway, If Olympiakos holds on for the rest of the game, then they've got the aggregate, but Man U's been very strong this game. It doesn't look to bright for the Greeks right now.

Edit: Manchester United pulls off the comeback and has lodged a place into the quarters, but Van Persie has to be carried off the pitch in the 90th. Ouch.

Excellent come back by United against the Greeks, didn't think they had it in them. But a beautiful hat-trick by RvP. All I can say is that he knows how to turn on the switch when needed, to pull United through.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/goals/champions-league/manchester-united-v-olympiakos-team-sheets/

On to the Quarter-finals and one of the big players in their future. Any reports on RvP's injury? Not that I care other than for my fantasy football team :P

So you root for star players/teams.

You are a sports frontrunner.

So apparently liking players outside my team is considered "Bandwagoning" eh? Gotcha. You know I root for the Red Bulls, Cosmos, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets and Rangers (local teams) as well, hardly frontrunning. If my friends who introduced me to soccer was a giant Aston Villa fan, I'd be one too, if he was Man United fan, I'd be one too, but, hey, may as well find the worst team to cheer for so I don't get the bandwagon label. SMH! Face it, people like stuff for reasons, even if it was stupid. If I were a TRUE frontrunner, I would bolt from Man United as soon as SAF left, but I DID NOT, BECAUSE I AM A LOYAL FAN!

Archived