2013/14 International Football Thread

I watched the first few minutes of the Arsenal-Chelsea match and smartly switched it off after that. Not only do I despise both of those clubs, but the game promised to feature sloppiness and lack goals from the very beginning. I'm not at all surprised to see that it has ended 0-0.

Lucky for you, I practically had to watch that game.

Retrospectively I wish I didn't, but I had to pull for the Blues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an idiot Oscar is. He beats the goalie on a breakaway and wouldve had an easy goal, but flops even before he gets by the goalie, and gets a yellow for it.

As much as I agree, he made up for it by assisting both of Chelsea's goals.

EDIT: Heh, and he scored a beauty just now just to make sure that Chelsea fans have forgiven him. Indeed they have.

25yzwqg.png

And Man Utd is knocked out of the FA Cup by Swansea!!! :lol:

Swansea won the Capital One Cup last year. It's obvious that Swansea is more serious about these kinds of tournaments because they're not good enough to get into the UEFA Europa League by finishing top five on the Premier League, so they put there best team on the pitch for tournaments like the Capital One and FA Cups. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool who use these kinds of tournaments to give players who are usually glued to the bench a chance to show what they can do, as well as giving some of the regulars a rest. And by doing that they're making themselves susceptible to defeat by lesser talented clubs like Swansea (or West Ham and Sunderland in the Capital One Cup), or sometimes even clubs from lower leagues.

25yzwqg.png

Southend away for us in the Fourth Round. This is quite, quite superb and I've already got my train route plotted.

Make sure the players remember to, well, give a :censored:. <_<

But yeah, I'd imagine that the "smaller" clubs are going to take these cup competitions even more seriously now that the Europa League's another route to get to the Champions League. I mean, hell, it's not too long since Fulham was playing for a European crown. Get a good draw and win a few games and it's clubs like Swansea's only real shot at the Champions League.

6fQjS3M.png

Southend away for us in the Fourth Round. This is quite, quite superb and I've already got my train route plotted.

Make sure the players remember to, well, give a :censored:. <_<

But yeah, I'd imagine that the "smaller" clubs are going to take these cup competitions even more seriously now that the Europa League's another route to get to the Champions League. I mean, hell, it's not too long since Fulham was playing for a European crown. Get a good draw and win a few games and it's clubs like Swansea's only real shot at the Champions League.

It's an interesting tie - not least as the only other time we were promoted into the Premier League Phil Brown was our manager, masterminding our survival with some famous wins over the likes of Arsenal and Spurs along the way. Who is he managing now? None other than Southend United.

They'll be well up for this.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1674530/ex-germany-international-thomas-hitzlsperger-comes-gay?cc=5739

Ex German international and Aston Villa midfielder has come out as gay, only the fourth pro soccer player to do so.

EDIT - 1000th post

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea have accepted a £37m bid from Man Utd for Juan Mata who will supposedly have his medical there today. He has been unhappy at his lack of game time at Chelsea this season, especially in a World Cup year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25849959

A step in the right direction but it is a lot of money in my opinion. Especially considering more signings are needed for them.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Barcelona paid Neymar's parents £34m for Brazil striker

This has led to the resignation of Barca club president Sandro Rosell. He was very unpopular with fans and club members for many things during his tenure. one of whichy being the addition of sponsors to the front of the shirts. He is currently also facing legal action from the club members over this Neymar fee debacle for not disclosing where all the money went.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• 5 weeks later...

I think UEFA is destroying a great tournament like the European Championships. 16 teams were perfect number because it had the best football associations from around Europe vying for the continental title. Now with 24 teams, it seems waterdown. Now the lower tiered teams like Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Romania, Hungary, etc (sorry if I made someone mad by saying their side is a lower tier team) will be able to make the tournament. What is Michel Plantini doing? Trying to screw up the best national continental competition up prior to jumping ship to FIFA? Plus to top things off EURO 2020 will have no host nation but be played in 13 different cities across Europe. I guess the highest paying FA will get the Final...

Doesn't mean I won't follow the EUROs because I am a football supporter through and through...

Archived