2013/14 International Football Thread

I won't rip into Jaffa what with Southampton beating Hull 4-1, I'll just say that a 4-1 victory is what the team 3rd In the table would expect at home to a newly promoted team!!

Heh! I only got in about a quarter-of-an-hour ago (midnight UK time, international types), I left at 6.15 this morning!

Oh, and on a kit related note - we debuted the white alternative socks for our away kit today. The usual away socks are red so not only would they have clashed with the Southampton hosiery but when paired with our blue away kits we might have looked a little too much like Portsmouth for comfort. ;)

Portsmouth, that name rings a bell, haven't heard it for a while mind! I think there is a Sunday league team playing a long the coast from us called that or something?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Portsmouth, that name rings a bell...

fv6p.jpg

Egads!

A few observations from yesterday...

• Overall, fair to say the better team had the game won in the first half. The second half was a bit more level, due in part to our changes and Southampton stepping down a gear.
  • A lot of our first half problems were due to our formation, enforced in part due to injury. We found ourselves overrun in midfield and our centre backs got pulled out of position far too often. Bruce normally gets his selections and formation right for us, so a rare mistake from him but things should have been switched quicker.
  • The roof in the away end is rather leaky. Get some felt up there or something.
  • Too many sub-par performances from us, but Sagbo played well and I don't think Rosenior or Livermore disgraced themselves any.
  • Southampton have possibly the prettiest programme sellers in the division.
  • That Lallana looks a decent larker.

Yeah, in fairness I don't think Hull are as bad as 4-1 might suggest. They faced what is, dare I say it, a good team at the wrong time. Southampton are rolling in a way they haven't for a few decades in all honesty. Lallana is a decent player, and I think better for having matured in League 1 and the championship. Same for J-Rod.

What's been good about this season, and from a Southampton point of view, is that we've been able to see off the smaller teams, which last season was a bit of a problem. We are maturing pretty fast. Decent additions at the right positions have moved us forward fast. Big tests coming up in the next few games though.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Disturbingly, there have been a few articles and the like in the past week or two that have been rather complimentary about us and how we're faring. That's not normal and is rather unsettling. :P

Hopefully we can now go back to being told we'll be hopelessly relegated with no points or owt. Under the radar and all that. ;)

I am going to post this, not to tempt fate but to record a moment in time. If Southampton win at. Arsenal by 2 clear goals, and Liverpool fail to beat Everton at Goodison little old Southampton will be top of the Premier League table. Two big ifs of course, but not an impossible to imagine scenario.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Final at Stadio Olympico: AS Roma 1, Sassuolo 1. Cue the collapse. :rolleyes:

The old maxim is still true, No Totti, No Party (and no Benatia, Gervinho, and Destro).

So they were without their most important player. their best defender, their fastest player, the best no.9, the only other true no.9 was hurt after 30 minutes, and they still dominated the match before Sassuolo tied at the last second. Could have easily finished 4-0.

I'm not too worried, this season started with the goal to get back in Europe after the most humiliating loss Roma ever suffered.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

C'mon, Iceland!

You're bigger! You're stronger! You're faster! You have more facial hair!

You owe Gordon Bombay a beachball!

Just remember, what would Gunnar Stahl do?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

C'mon, Iceland!

You're bigger! You're stronger! You're faster! You have more facial hair!

You owe Gordon Bombay a beachball!

Just remember, what would Gunnar Stahl do?

They are also the country that gave us this:

I saw, I came, I left.

Two more tickets were punched to Brazil today, with Nigeria and Côte d'Ivoire qualifying over Ethiopia and Senegal, respectively, in the second of two home-and-away ties.

No big surprises as to the two teams that qualified, really. I watched the Nigeria-Ethiopia match, and it was largely insipid; Ethiopia was completely overmatched by and inferior to Nigeria, who weren't really even trying to score because all they needed to do was avoid losing by more than one goal.

25yzwqg.png

You're the only person I know who watches African qualifiers :rolleyes:

Anyways, can't be upset with Cote D'Ivoire moving on, it'll be great to see Didier Drogba back again. However my first soccer game that I watched was Nigeria beating Canada 3-0, so...

You're the only person I know who watches African qualifiers :rolleyes:

Anyways, can't be upset with Cote D'Ivoire moving on, it'll be great to see Didier Drogba back again. However my first soccer game that I watched was Nigeria beating Canada 3-0, so...

False. I'll watch good soccer no matter where it's happening.

Senegal - Côte d'Ivoire was a very good match. Senegal kept putting pressure on just couldn't get the goals they needed. Glad to see my African side of choice through to the World Cup Finals, though.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived