2013/14 International Football Thread

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So all the boring expected teams won, great...

Oh, come on, we'll probably have 4 groups of death this year. Not that bad if you ask me.

Still, I was pulling for Ukraine, I kind of wanted to see Iceland, and definitely Zlatan>Ronaldo

On the subject of Ronaldo, he has three hat tricks in his last six games, and has in all competitions scored 34 goals in 24 games this season. 34 goals is a really good season and he's done it by mid-November, if he stays at this pace we could be watching one of the greatest individual seasons of all time.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Thinking about the draw in a couple weeks, the US could conceivably draw a group of Brazil/Spain/Germany/Argentina, Ghana/Ivory Coast/Chile, and Italy/Netherlands/England/Portugal/France. Obviously there are no very weak teams in this tournament. Probably the most optimum group would be Switzerland, Algeria, and Greece.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Thinking about the draw in a couple weeks, the US could conceivably draw a group of Brazil/Spain/Germany/Argentina, Ghana/Ivory Coast/Chile, and Italy/Netherlands/England/Portugal/France. Obviously there are no very weak teams in this tournament. Probably the most optimum group would be Switzerland, Algeria, and Greece.

Actually, the four pots that will be assembled are based off of the October 2013 FIFA Rankings, not a later version, meaning that Greece and the United States are both Pot B teams and could not be in the same group. If I could have it my way, the groups would look like this:

Group A

Brazil

Portugal

Costa Rica

Japan

Group B

Spain

Chile

Mexico

Algeria

Group C

Germany

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Côte d'Ivoire

Australia

Group D

Argentina

Italy

Croatia

South Korea

Group E

Colombia

Ghana

France

Australia

Group F

Belgium

United States

Ecuador

Iran

Group G

Uruguay

England

Nigeria

Honduras

Group H

Switzerland

Greece

Russia

Cameroon

25yzwqg.png

Nope, wrong answer.

Pot 1 has the host and the other seven top teams. After that, it's based on geography.

The prevailing theory is that the CONCACAF (4) and AFC (4) teams will be put into a pot together; the best eight non-seeded UEFA teams will be in another pot; and the non-seeded CONMEBOL (2: Chile and Ecuador) and CAF (5) teams will be together along with the lowest-ranked remaining UEFA team: France. France can't be drawn into a group with a UEFA seed; Chile and Ecuador can't be drawn into a group with a seed from CONMEBOL.

This simulator echoes that theory. The chances of a terrible draw for the US are pretty high. My ultimate nightmare scenario would be Brazil, Ghana, and Italy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Nope, wrong answer.

Pot 1 has the host and the other seven top teams. After that, it's based on geography.

The prevailing theory is that the CONCACAF (4) and AFC (4) teams will be put into a pot together; the best eight non-seeded UEFA teams will be in another pot; and the non-seeded CONMEBOL (2: Chile and Ecuador) and CAF (5) teams will be together along with the lowest-ranked remaining UEFA team: France. France can't be drawn into a group with a UEFA seed; Chile and Ecuador can't be drawn into a group with a seed from CONMEBOL.

This simulator echoes that theory. The chances of a terrible draw for the US are pretty high. My ultimate nightmare scenario would be Brazil, Ghana, and Italy.

Seriously, what the hell is up with the USMNT and being drawn up into the GoD in almost every World Cup? Is there such a situation where they can't be put into one?

The US had a pretty easy group 4 years ago, with England(who wasn't as good as the other seeded teams), Algeria(2nd weakest African team), and Slovenia(arguably weakest European team).

England: The U.S. gave up a damn goal within the first five minutes of the match. They only got a draw in that game because Robbie Green pulled a Buckner.

Slovenia: They were down 2-0 and had to rally to tie the game. U.S. could have won the game late if the refs didn't take away Edu's goal.

Algeria: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALJu7YPMNBI

Point-being is that with the U.S., there is no such thing as an "easy" group. This time, however, the Americans could be formally introduced to a sucky group.

Oh I know that year we didn't make it easy on us at all in the group. On paper, yeah it was an easier group, but we made it hard on ourselves to get out. (Then again it shouldve been a 3-2 US win over Slovenia but in the end it didn't matter thank God)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Don't you talk :censored: about Heskey.

The US is going to be likely drawn into a Group of Death because...

- We've got to be in with one of the eight seeds, of course. Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Spain would be hellacious. Belgium, Colombia, and Uruguay would all be a tough draw. Switzerland is the only seemingly alright draw here.

- We've got to be in with one of the UEFA teams then as well. Holland and Italy are both unseeded and in this pot—either of them would be a potential death wish. England would of course have the potential to pose a strong challenge as would Portugal. On paper, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, and Russia don't sound bad. Then again, every team from here is a top-20 side, so...

- As CONCACAF will be grouped with AFC, we're either drawn with one of the remaining CONMENBOL teams, a CAF side, or France (the lowest-ranked UEFA team). Ghana is our nightmare and being drawn in with them is not ideal. While ranked 21st, France should still be regarded as a highly dangerous side as they have multiple world-class players. Chile are currently ranked 12th and playing on their home continent would be tough. Côte d'Ivoire would be a poor draw as well as the US doesn't have players the calibre of Drogba, Touré, or on his current form, Gervinho. Ecuador, Nigeria, and Cameroon would all pose problems but be a welcome draw here while Algeria would likely be the best draw.

Really, the only teams I'd want to be in a group with are Switzerland, Greece, and Algeria. And that's a roughly 1/512 chance.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived