NLL Expansion

Beluga4

NLL Expansion  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know it would be a heck of a long shot but why not Victoria, BC? Victoria has a MASSIVE lacrosse history and is one of Canada's biggest producers of lacrosse players (Gait twins come to mind). Yes it is a smaller market, but compared to places like Everett/ Langley, I think they could do very well in the league. Comcast Arena is only slightly bigger than SOFMC and the Langley Events Center is smaller than Victoria's arena as well... Perhaps there would be too much competition with the Shamrocks who play in the WLA but I wouldn't see that as a problems as many of the top NLL players go back to the WLA or Ontario league for the summer anyways. Playing both NLL and WLA in Victoria would only make sense for a lot of those players financially who would not have to relocate on and off season.

Travel may become an issue but if the AHL can bring back St. John's, I don't see why Victoria could not work in the NLL.

... ON a side note, my gym teacher back in high school was the very first captain of the Vancouver Ravens when they came into the league and was captain of the Victoria Shamrocks for a very long time. I remember when they won the Mann Cup back in 1999 and at the start of the school year had the trophy in the gym office. He invited my friend and I into the office to take a look at the trophy... I can actually say that I have touched 3 of Canada's major sporting trophies in the Mann Cup, Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup.

The Washington Stealth relocated to Vancouver (well, Langley, but they are branded as Vancouver) a few weeks ago.

I didn't know that, well I can cross Vancouver off the list and slap on Seattle (Well really Everett, but branded as Seattle :wink2: unless they decide to use the Key Arena) COOL NEW LOGO :grin:footerLogo.png

npo_logo.png

I am just thinking of these things as I go, and I know I just posted 3 in a row but any other relocation possibilities in the NLL (Colorado Mammoth moving somewhere else because of the Denver Outlaws competition, or the same thing with the Rochester Knighthawks because of the Rattlers competition, MLL)

npo_logo.png

I know it would be a heck of a long shot but why not Victoria, BC? Victoria has a MASSIVE lacrosse history and is one of Canada's biggest producers of lacrosse players (Gait twins come to mind). Yes it is a smaller market, but compared to places like Everett/ Langley, I think they could do very well in the league. Comcast Arena is only slightly bigger than SOFMC and the Langley Events Center is smaller than Victoria's arena as well... Perhaps there would be too much competition with the Shamrocks who play in the WLA but I wouldn't see that as a problems as many of the top NLL players go back to the WLA or Ontario league for the summer anyways. Playing both NLL and WLA in Victoria would only make sense for a lot of those players financially who would not have to relocate on and off season.

Travel may become an issue but if the AHL can bring back St. John's, I don't see why Victoria could not work in the NLL.

... ON a side note, my gym teacher back in high school was the very first captain of the Vancouver Ravens when they came into the league and was captain of the Victoria Shamrocks for a very long time. I remember when they won the Mann Cup back in 1999 and at the start of the school year had the trophy in the gym office. He invited my friend and I into the office to take a look at the trophy... I can actually say that I have touched 3 of Canada's major sporting trophies in the Mann Cup, Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup.

I thought Victoria was a good City to use as my ULL team (see sig).

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

From what I gather, now that Vancouver is spoken for, Long Island (not on the list) is emerging as the next expansion favorite, but not for a couple more years at least. Once the NHL Islanders depart for Brooklyn, Nassau Coliseum is set to undergo a renovation/downsizing and the developers have apparently already expressed interest in having an NLL team play there.

I'd also like to see Chicago (also not on the list) get another shot, but only if the team plays at Allstate Arena near O'Hare instead of Sears Centre (where the late Shamrox once played), which is waaaaaaay out in the sticks in Hoffman Estates, which limited the Shamrox' fan base to the northern and western reaches of Chicagoland. (United Center is probably not a viable option unless the Bulls or Hawks own the team.)

CCSLC signature.png

Son, lacrosse is a part-time sport!

Lacrosse (MLL) players must have primary jobs.

So the NLL will not mean a d@mn thing.

Most MLL players (if they're good enough) will play NLL in the winter.

(Random trivia question) Can anyone name the only player drafted first overall to both leagues?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

From what I gather, now that Vancouver is spoken for, Long Island (not on the list) is emerging as the next expansion favorite, but not for a couple more years at least. Once the NHL Islanders depart for Brooklyn, Nassau Coliseum is set to undergo a renovation/downsizing and the developers have apparently already expressed interest in having an NLL team play there.

I'm guessing the NLL hasn't learned its lesson that field lacrosse hotbeds =/= box lacrosse hotbeds the first two times? I mean it makes sense with the downsized Coliseum, and I'd love to see it work, but I have my doubts

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

It might work in Long Island once the Isles are in Brooklyn...money not being spent on the Isles could go towards the NLL team.

I feel a small part of the Sounders success was due to the Sonics getting ready to leave at the time the Sounders started (Seattle is still a great soccer town, so much so that their support for the Sounders has led me to adopt them as my MLS team.)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I'm guessing the NLL hasn't learned its lesson that field lacrosse hotbeds =/= box lacrosse hotbeds the first two times? I mean it makes sense with the downsized Coliseum, and I'd love to see it work, but I have my doubts

It's not about Long Island being a field lax hotbed, it's about Long Island being part of one of the 900-pound gorillas of North American media markets.

The NLL could see 46 teams fail, one by one, in metro NYC, and not hesitate to come back for a 47th time, for the same reason the NFL is playing this season's Super Bowl there.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived