NHL top 3 / bottom 3 logos

Bayne

One of the first ideas I had for a redesign was the Devils. It was a black pentagon with a red devil inside. it said "new" on the left," "jersey" on the right, and "devils" on the bottom in lowercase blackletter script. The devil was holding a pitchfork in one hand and a hockey stick in the other, with both being parallel to the sides of the upper left and right sides of the pentagon. The devil had a facial expression roughly along the lines of "yeaaaaah man crank UP the Foghat in here."

I allowed for the possibility of a 1995/2000 throwback.

I was 15 years old.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29. Anaheim (the wordmark logo)

The problem with that is the wordmark logo isn't the primary logo anymore. The webbed D is used in pretty much every official team thing, and it's even on the ice now. While the wordmark is still on the jerseys, that doesn't mean it's the primary logo (i.e. New York Rangers).
http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/1/National_Hockey_League/NHL/logos/

While this may be seen as a sacrilegous thing to say, the mothership isn't always right.

While the stand-alone "D" may be the de facto primary, the script is still the official one on paper. I get what you mean how the "D" is used in such a large capacity - the Raptors here do the same thing with their claw logo - but unless they formally announce a change, the status quo will remain.

What are you talking about? How is it still the official logo?

Style guide.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

The problem with that is the wordmark logo isn't the primary logo anymore. The webbed D is used in pretty much every official team thing, and it's even on the ice now. While the wordmark is still on the jerseys, that doesn't mean it's the primary logo (i.e. New York Rangers).
http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/1/National_Hockey_League/NHL/logos/

While this may be seen as a sacrilegous thing to say, the mothership isn't always right.

While the stand-alone "D" may be the de facto primary, the script is still the official one on paper. I get what you mean how the "D" is used in such a large capacity - the Raptors here do the same thing with their claw logo - but unless they formally announce a change, the status quo will remain.

What are you talking about? How is it still the official logo?

Style guide.

Evil G is correct, the Ducks wordmark logo is still the official primary logo according to the current team style guide.

The Devils logo, like the Bulls in the NBA even though I hate the NBA, are both untouchables to me, and I don't hand that out often.

I think like many others that old logos don't make them good. I think the Flyers, Canadians, Leafs, logos all suck. I mean there isn't much you can do I guess with the names, but the logos are classic, I get it, but they don't do anything for me.

The Devils combine a simplicity, yet deepness to their logo. Combining the N and the J with a devil horns and tail is just awesome. Sure they could have used a modern logo and more detailed, which I'm usually a fan of, but with the Devils I love what they have. I would be ok with adding a secondary logo for sure, I think many teams could benefit from this. Not a stupid circle logo or wordmark logo, but with a name like Devils there are alot of cool things you could come up with.

It's odd for me because almost all the logos I prefer are more modern and detailed and bold. As you can see from my sig, I like the logos for teams that are more exciting and have more to them. I'm a huge Giants fan, and I do like their current helmet logo. But it could definitely be improved and they could have something really detailed like the one in my sig that would be cool. They just reverted back to an old logo which generally I'm not a huge fan of. The Isles are the exception not the rule. I guess the Devils are as well.

I easily place the Devils in my top 5 logos in all of pro sports. Maybe even one. Like the Bulls, they got it right the first time and don't need to change it. Now it becomes historic. Maybe contradictory to what I think about the older team logos, but there's more complexity within the simplicity of the Devils logo.

2ly2w09.jpg

The game is top 3 / bottom 3. Why suddenly do you get to change the rules for yourself? huh!?

Just busting your balls ;)

The lightning logo appears in a lot of bottom 3 lists. I originally didn't like it either, but it's grown on me a bit - enough to elevate it above bottom 3 status. I just wish it had some black or silver/grey in it, then it could easily be in the top half of the league. It's a nice overall shape.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

-BigBubba

I'd argue that the webfoot D by itself is essentially the primary logo. But there's a big problem. The Ducks established the wordmark as the main logo in the first place, and it's still the crest on the primary uniforms. That's not really helping their case, even though the D is more prominent everywhere else. They think of the D as their primary logo - but everyone else, including the NHL, still thinks it's the wordmark.

Anyway here's mine.

1: Red Wings

2: Wild

3: Stars

---

28: Sabres

29: Kings

30: Ducks wordmark

I'm probably the first to rank the Sabres this low. The logo by itself is OK, it could be better, but then there's the unnecessary silver outline on everything and it's become a mess.

Much like the other two in my bottom three, the Kings pencil shield just screams half arsed. They could have designed an all new crown logo because the one they use now is a horrible mess with a weird pair of "eyes" that I can't unsee. Instead, they shrunk the crown and stuck it in a lazy shield.

And yes, the Ducks wordmark. I'm still bitter that this is/was the primary logo. It's bad enough that this replaced the duck mask as the primary, but it also feels completely soulless. I might, just might, have been OK with it as an alternate jersey script if it was introduced later on. But as the primary logo? No. Just no.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I think like many others that old logos don't make them good. I think the Flyers, Canadians, Leafs, logos all suck. I mean there isn't much you can do I guess with the names, but the logos are classic, I get it, but they don't do anything for me.

Yet you ranked the Islanders' logo in your top 3. A logo whose only saving grace is that it's old and is associated with past successes. It's even worse then the Leafs' and Canadians' logos when you don't factor in history and just go off the aesthetics.

Yet you ranked the Islanders' logo in your top 3. A logo whose only saving grace is that it's old and is associated with past successes. It's even worse then the Leafs' and Canadians' logos when you don't factor in history and just go off the aesthetics.

Emphasize the word past. The last time the Islanders had any real success, this hairstyle was in vogue.

flock.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

The Marlins consider their black jersey to be their road jersey. Yes it essentially is, but it officially isn't. In the team/league files, the rarely-worn grey jersey is the primary road uniform. On the field, not so much, but that doesn't change the official designation. Same with the Raptors and their claw logo. Same with the Ducks and their "D" logo. I'm not trying to be an ass, but that's simply the way it is. There are plenty of de jure laws, rules, and designations - in the sports world or not - that differ from the reality of things, but again, that's just the way it is.

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm going to revise my list...because I'm the OP and I can :P

TOP 3:

1yo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

256.gif

31079172014.gif

BOTTOM 3:

288lqmtthh0w2wgumr6goswqmki.gif

29fbh4jfr7lwbpuezjx0xbktfmo.gif (I'm going to throw in both the wordmark and the webbed D - both look half-arsed to some degree IMO)

30lvchw3qfsun2e7oc02kh2zxb6.gif

Yeah the Western Conference Semi Finals in 2012 was an ugly series.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Regarding the Bruins logo, is there a meaning to the spoked wheel?

I think it's supposed to represent that Boston is known as "The Hub of the Universe."

I honestly prefer their bear logo. That + brown instead of black = perfection.

Actually just hub of New England. Also 8 spokes represent 8 playoff wins to get the Cup (think Detroit octopus)

Actually just hub of New England.

Lights Out was correct.

From boston.com:

In a novel he wrote in 1858, Cambridge-born author and philosopher Oliver Wendell Holmes described the Massachusetts State House as the “Hub of the Solar System.” As society in Boston developed, the nickname developed into an even greater brand – “The Hub of the Universe.”

Archived