NHL top 3 / bottom 3 logos

Bayne

Anaheim's standalone "webbed D" isn't that bad at all, but the full wordmark is (but still not as bad as Carolina's logo).

1 Chicago

2 Toronto

3 Minnesota

28 Philadelphia

29 Edmonton

30 Carolina

While hockey uniforms are my favorite, the NHL probably has the weakest logos out of the Big 4 sports.

I'm not sure about the NHL having the weakest logos. I think the NBA and MLB have many terrible logos. Many of these logos just have wordmarks with a basketball or baseball in it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the dislike for the Islanders logo? It's a product of the era they were born in, has an EPIC amount of success behind it, and people cream themselves over certain soccer crests that do basically the same thing with the lettering, geography element, sports equipment, etc.

Top 3:

Red Wings

Wild

Sharks

Honorable mention: Flames

Bottom 3:

Senators

Lightning

Kings

Dishonorable mention: Hurricanes

Actually just hub of New England.

Lights Out was correct.

From boston.com:

In a novel he wrote in 1858, Cambridge-born author and philosopher Oliver Wendell Holmes described the Massachusetts State House as the Hub of the Solar System. As society in Boston developed, the nickname developed into an even greater brand The Hub of the Universe.

You sir, have just blown my mind.

I don't get the dislike for the Islanders logo?

It's an awkward mess, and basically the definition of "ugly." It's there with the Flyers as far as logos most needing a change.

Top 3

Devils

Blues

Red Wings

Bottom 3

Islanders

Stars

Capitals

Canadiens are another team that seem to get a pass based on their history. It's a C with an H inside it, and not a particularly good one.

I'm not sure about the NHL having the weakest logos. I think the NBA and MLB have many terrible logos. Many of these logos just have wordmarks with a basketball or baseball in it.

I'd say they have the best as well as the worst.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, the NBA is really hit-or-miss (more often than not it's the latter) when it comes to primary logos (though they have a good amount of strong secondary logos). Actually, I'd say they have more terrible logos than any of the other Big 4. Thunder, Blazers, Raptors, Celtics, Pistons, Nuggets, etc. The NFL has mostly good logos and some weak ones, while MLB has maybe 1/3 bad or terrible and 2/3 good or great. The NHL has a relatively even mix of good/great, OK and bad.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Top 3:
124.gif A true classic, I can't think of a better way to portray "Club de hockey Canadien"
1079172014.gifI love how they combined the franchise hallmark slanted star with the early Dallas "D" to create a truly fantastic look.
199.gifGotta love poignancy.

Bottom 3:
71jepx81eqzz1l6q9g1g5j1lh.gifI don't like the extremely detailed former primary is being squished into the bottom.
2bkf2l3xyxi5p0cavbj8.gif(if this logo was the primary, they would easily be top 10:x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif)
fbh4jfr7lwbpuezjx0xbktfmo.gif No explanation needed.

5amlwx.jpg

30lvchw3qfsun2e7oc02kh2zxb6.gif

Yeah the Western Conference Semi Finals in 2012 was an ugly series.

I'm intrigued in hearing your explanation to why Nashville is dead last in the league.

I've never felt that the Predator head was effectively designed or rendered both then and now. While it looked acceptable as a gimmicky, distorted, futuristic sabre-tooth robot in the late 90's, now it has been left as a flat shell of itself with the same gimmicky feel - which isn't gimmicky anymore. It just feels like it should be a logo for an under 15's hockey team with the word 'PREDATORS' emblazoned above it in scratchy type. The overall shape of the head also doesn't lend itself to being all that noticeable when it's shrunk down and the fangs are a bit over the top. Plus I'm not a fan of yellow (especially) with blue.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

That little sliver of white in the middle of the Flushing Toilet drives me nuts. It looks like someone did a bad trace for the svg on wikipedia but nope, it's actually supposed to be there. This in addition to the hurricane warning flag that isn't a hurricane warning flag. This team couldn't be any more bush if they spontaneously self-immolated as a message from God.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think like many others that old logos don't make them good. I think the Flyers, Canadians, Leafs, logos all suck. I mean there isn't much you can do I guess with the names, but the logos are classic, I get it, but they don't do anything for me.

Yet you ranked the Islanders' logo in your top 3. A logo whose only saving grace is that it's old and is associated with past successes. It's even worse then the Leafs' and Canadians' logos when you don't factor in history and just go off the aesthetics.

That isn't the reason for me that it's a great logo. I have actually always liked the logo. I love the logo, I think it's got alot going on yet I love how it comes together.

It's my favorite team in my favorite sport, so that helps, but it also represents where my family and I are from with the geography in the logo.

2ly2w09.jpg

That little sliver of white in the middle of the Flushing Toilet drives me nuts. It looks like someone did a bad trace for the svg on wikipedia but nope, it's actually supposed to be there. This in addition to the hurricane warning flag that isn't a hurricane warning flag. This team couldn't be any more bush if they spontaneously self-immolated as a message from God.

I don't like the logo a lot, but I definitely don't hate it. That little sliver doesn't bother me...maybe because I've never really thought about what it would look like if the two colours touched....

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

OK fine, I'll get in on this:

Top 3:

200px-Calgary_Flames_Logo.svg.png200px-SanJoseSharksLogo.svg.png200px-ChicagoBlackhawksLogo.svg.png

Well, you can't technically call be biased, since I do have my third and fourth favourite teams here, I also put the Blackhawks, my absolute worst.

I do love Calgary's crest for some reason, It manages to be simple but still have a good feel to it. Make it a darker shade of red and take out the black and it could be even better.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I just can't help but love the Sharks logo. Slick and modern without being too flashy. It could easily contend for my #1 if they took out the triangle and the broken stick, but I still like it.

And I can't help but love the timeless look of the Blackhawks *curses violently to himself*

Now the Bottom 3:

200px-Colorado_Avalanche_logo.svg.png200px-Carolina_Hurricanes.svg.png200px-Los_Angeles_Kings_Logo_%282011%29.

And ending the list are three teams on a short list of mine labelled: Teams I have a lot of trouble giving a ---- about

The Colorado Avalanched has been loved by many, but I think it's a bit dated. The colour scheme looks ugly, the puck looks out of place, and it's the only thing black, and the oval around it just looks odd to me. I think the Avalanche are in need of a total redesign for sweaters and logos.

The carolina hurricanes are a mess, let's leave it at that.

And ending the list at #30 is the LA Kings. I have a lot of problems with this logo. 1. It looks like a baseball home plate or a pencil. 2. It in no way resembles a shield, 3. It's broken up completely in the middle making the bottom half look bad and it goes on. Just two things I'd like to elaborate on.

1: Was it necessary to just shrink the old logo and put it in a generic shape? They had a fine logo set before, maybe it could crack my top 10 even, but now it just looks slapped on as an afterthought. If you look at the San Andreas Kings logo from GTA V, they have a simplified version of a crown and it looks much better on the 'shield' logo.

2. It just looks rushed, they put a logo in the bottom and their city abbreviation on the top. I think this might have worked as a ball cap theme, having LA on the cap and the logo on the rim, but having this as their main logo is just bad.

/rant

Honestly I think the Avalanche logo is great. The symbol screams 'hockey' to me and I like the overall composition of the A and the oval and the swoosh. The black puck also works for me - think if it was any other colour...it would fall flat. The black gives your eye something to be drawn to and is like the cherry on top. Top 10 logo for me personally.

Archived