2013 MLB Discussion Thread, Redux

Brian in Boston

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, honest, serious question, here. Why do so many people on here dislike the Cardinals and have a negative opinion of Cardinals fans?

It's not so much that people hate Cardinal players or, for some of us, even Cardinal fans (I'm pretty much gel with them). Those players and personnel would be generally lovable wherever they go (nothing negative to hate on the players).

It's just that every time there's a sentimental-favorite team who people wish well to break their own baseball drought (Pirates this year, Nationals last year), it's always St. Louis who eliminates them from winning. And it's always the same proverbial pattern: the sentimental team takes a game or series lead which seems insurmountable, but then the Cardinals get all the bounces, comes up with the timely hits, and that sentimental team ends up losing in heartbreaking fashion. And in some instances, such team gets relegated back into obscurity; their only chance at greatness gets hammered down by the Cardinals.

Not even the Yankees have such a track record of "ruining" the fortunes of such teams and fans.

Here's another reason to hate the Cardinals:

I haven't watched one second of the NLCS. I love baseball, it's tied for my favorite sport. I love watching baseball and I love watching postseason baseball especially, but I can't watch this happen again. If I don't watch, then I can't care as much, and if I don't care as much then it won't bother me as much when it inevitably happens.

So because the Cardinals have been in the NLCS the last three years I haven't been able to watch as much playoff baseball. They're depriving me of enjoying the game I love.

I only know LA won last night because a coworker told me when I walked in this morning. I saw Gravity instead.

PvO6ZWJ.png

What difference does it make? Either way they're preventing me from enjoying baseball.

Here's another reason:

They're boring. We've seen their narrative before and it's tired. The Dodgers are the far more interesting team and storyline.

PvO6ZWJ.png

See, for me, it works the inverse way. Having a team still around in the playoffs that I so thoroughly loathe (that, of course, being the Red Sox) has provided me with an incentive to keep watching, because I'm rooting for whoever is playing the Red Sox to beat them; the old "my favorite teams are [Team X] and whoever is playing [Team Y]" routine.

I had the NLCS game on last night on my browser (ESPN Australia, woo-hoo; that's a bucket list country to visit), but, truthfully, I really didn't pay a ton of attention to it. In a game where I don't have a fully vested interest, the competing football game prevailed. But I'll certainly be watching these next three games in Detroit, and I'll be hoping the series ends in that ballpark with three home victories.

spacer.png

Archived