The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

I'm in Hanoi, Vietnam for two weeks. I could fill 10 pages with pictures of fake jerseys. They're sold on almost every street. They even have fake Apple stores here.

Post some pics if you can.

I will if my kids will cooperate. I tried to today, but they wouldn't allow me to stop and look at anything.

I'm in Hanoi, Vietnam for two weeks. I could fill 10 pages with pictures of fake jerseys. They're sold on almost every street. They even have fake Apple stores here.

Post some pics if you can.

I will if my kids will cooperate. I tried to today, but they wouldn't allow me to stop and look at anything.

I may be going to China in the spring of 2015, I am hoping to get some good counterfeit pics while I'm there.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

And if you think that is self-righteous, just wait until you hear this one...I don't support walking into stores and stealing jerseys and CDs either!

Funny analogy since illegal downloads and counterfeit jerseys are both more copyright infringement / bootlegging than direct theft.

Semi-serious question: Is it illegal to make a homemade replica jersey for personal use? How about getting a blank jersey lettered instead of buying an official jersey with the same player's name?

It's been said numerous times in this thread, no the one off replica is not an issue at all. You can make whatever you want for personal use. If you pay someone to do it for you it's not ok either but to me not as big of a deal.

Getting a blank jersey custom lettered with an actual player is iffy because the player isn't getting royalties but it's a bit more grey to me.

I actually live in Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City. I assume the jerseys you're seeing are football/soccer ones. While there are specific basketball shops in Hanoi, not much in terms of other sports are available. I used to live in Hanoi for a few years so I'm pretty sure I know where you are.

Jerseys in Vietnam (fakes) can be purchased for as low as $5, a variety of different grades. I rarely see jerseys worn for fashion, however - they actually use them for athletic wear. No regular person could ever dream (well, they could, but would never do it) of purchasing a real jersey.

I actually live in Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City. I assume the jerseys you're seeing are football/soccer ones. While there are specific basketball shops in Hanoi, not much in terms of other sports are available. I used to live in Hanoi for a few years so I'm pretty sure I know where you are.

Jerseys in Vietnam (fakes) can be purchased for as low as $5, a variety of different grades. I rarely see jerseys worn for fashion, however - they actually use them for athletic wear. No regular person could ever dream (well, they could, but would never do it) of purchasing a real jersey.

My hotel is in the Old Quarter near Hoan Kiem Lake. Most of the jerseys I've seen are in shops in this area. All the jerseys I've seen have been soccer jerseys.

I found some real (I think) Nike replica soccer jerseys today for only $55. They're normally $85 in the US. If they were fakes they were really good fakes. I didn't take pictures because if I lingered too long I would have had salespeople hassling me.

I promise I'll get pictures before I leave.

I still haven't got any pictures of fake jerseys here in Vietnam, but the other day we were driving through a town and there was a kids soccer game being played. Both teams were wearing fake pro soccer uniforms (jerseys and shorts). I'm not sure what teams they were. One team was wearing a blue jersey with a middle vertical stripe and "Fly Emirates" was the sponsor. Each jersey had a different name and number. I was too far away too be able to tell if it was the kid's names or if they copied the pro players names and numbers as well.

I still haven't got any pictures of fake jerseys here in Vietnam, but the other day we were driving through a town and there was a kids soccer game being played. Both teams were wearing fake pro soccer uniforms (jerseys and shorts). I'm not sure what teams they were. One team was wearing a blue jersey with a middle vertical stripe and "Fly Emirates" was the sponsor. Each jersey had a different name and number. I was too far away too be able to tell if it was the kid's names or if they copied the pro players names and numbers as well.

it was probably their own names if everyone was different

it was probably their own names if everyone was different
That's what I guessed since I haven't seen any jerseys with names and numbers, but I wasn't sure.

I found some real (I think) Nike replica soccer jerseys today for only $55. They're normally $85 in the US. If they were fakes they were really good fakes. I didn't take pictures because if I lingered too long I would have had salespeople hassling me.

I'm not on expert on soccer jerseys, but I think the fakes can be really good. I have some Manchester United fakes (purchased from someone in Malaysia) that I bought for $35 each in past years - when I compared them (and looking closely at feel and detail in stitching, especially patches and logos) to in-store items, I could not tell the difference.

For basketball jerseys, however, I can see the difference pretty easily. Basketball-focused stores will sell fake Swingmans for $20.

I'm not on expert on soccer jerseys, but I think the fakes can be really good. I have some Manchester United fakes (purchased from someone in Malaysia) that I bought for $35 each in past years - when I compared them (and looking closely at feel and detail in stitching, especially patches and logos) to in-store items, I could not tell the difference.

For basketball jerseys, however, I can see the difference pretty easily. Basketball-focused stores will sell fake Swingmans for $20.

I haven't seen one basketball jersey since I've been here in Vietnam. I thought I might see some baseball, basketball and football jerseys for tourists, but there aren't any.

Yeah, basketball is not mainstream popular here yet. You usually have to find basketball-specific stores to find some. There's definitely no jersey market or stores focused on tourists. There are, however in Shanghai, and I believe South Korea.

I have a 6 hour layover at the Seoul Incheon airport on Monday. I wonder if there are any stores nearby?

I love seeing the custom jerseys that end up existing after the terrible fakes.

For example:

13233753.jpg

Not going to lie, that looks kinda badass. Not for a pro team, but I could totally see a college team pulling something like this off with similar colors. (North Dakota). Unfortunately, 2234 teams will attempt to follow suit and it'll just look stupid, as with every wild NCAA uniform trend.