2014-15 Soccer Kits & News (too early? nah)

Conrad.

Following on from their capture of the Everton kit contract, Umbro have another deal tied up for 2014-15 - Racing Club de Lens.

That's another French club with Umbro. Lille has been with Umbro for a while now. I liked the last rotation of kits by Umbro with the two tone bars across the chest. Not a fan of Canadian Soccer Association's home and away kit creations.

When does Everton deal take effect?

Lille were one of the teams Nike transferred over to them as part of the acquisition of Umbro.

LOSC-Lille-13-14-nike-football-kits-a.jp

Everton's Umbro deal starts at the end of this season. Their deal is through Kitbag so I don't believe there are any true restrictions on when the Umbro deal can start - however I still expect it to be after the season has ended before you see any new Everton branded items produced by Umbro.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following on from their capture of the Everton kit contract, Umbro have another deal tied up for 2014-15 - Racing Club de Lens.

It will be interesting to see what direction Umbro go in now that they have lost all of their major assests courtesy of Nike pinching them.

For the most part, they have stuck with the 'Tailored by Umbro' philosophy which has meant simple and classy designs often as throwbacks. I don't see them changing from this, particularly now that they are left producing kits for 'smaller' clubs. Hopefully this means each team they supply will receive a more unique design and not just a templated one.

I myself would love for them to stay with the "Tailor by Umbro" philosophy. A lot of their kits are simple with classy designs. Though I see Umbro following suite like the big kit manufacturers and just producing template kits. I would love to see individual unique designs for each club under their contract but I don't see that as a reality.

I myself was ecstatic when CSA switched their contract from Adidas to Umbro. The first run of kits with the two colored chevrons (black and white with home kits and red and black with clash kits) across the chests were amazing. But not a fan of their current kits.

That's another French club with Umbro. Lille has been with Umbro for a while now. I liked the last rotation of kits by Umbro with the two tone bars across the chest. Not a fan of Canadian Soccer Association's home and away kit creations.

Lille were one of the teams Nike transferred over to them as part of the acquisition of Umbro.

LOSC-Lille-13-14-nike-football-kits-a.jp

Everton's Umbro deal starts at the end of this season. Their deal is through Kitbag so I don't believe there are any true restrictions on when the Umbro deal can start - however I still expect it to be after the season has ended before you see any new Everton branded items produced by Umbro.

What other clubs did Nike pinch when they completed the Umbro deal? Any big surprises?

Lille have moved to Nike already - the Umbro/Everton deal takes effect from next season.

It will be interesting to see what direction Umbro go in now that they have lost all of their major assests courtesy of Nike pinching them.

For the most part, they have stuck with the 'Tailored by Umbro' philosophy which has meant simple and classy designs often as throwbacks. I don't see them changing from this, particularly now that they are left producing kits for 'smaller' clubs. Hopefully this means each team they supply will receive a more unique design and not just a templated one.

Looking at some of the stuff they've started putting out for foreign clubs - their teamwear has started appearing in a few other countries too - it doesn't look like they're moving too far away from that philosophy.

Apparently Everton will have a bespoke kit, for the home at least - it would be brilliant if they follow that through with their key contracts. And I'm not just saying that as I've heard strong rumours they might be supplying a team based at the other end of the M62. ;)

What other clubs did Nike pinch when they completed the Umbro deal? Any big surprises?

Man City, England, and NY Cosmos off the top of my head. I am sure there are more, including player sponsorships. Nike basically bought Umbro, took control of their best assets and then sold them off.

I myself was ecstatic when CSA switched their contract from Adidas to Umbro. The first run of kits with the two colored chevrons (black and white with home kits and red and black with clash kits) across the chests were amazing. But not a fan of their current kits.

When they supplied us a few years back, we had a spell where we got template kits like pretty much every other team they worked with - but they had a range of different styles for collars, cuffs and the like they could mix and match between teams. It meant that Umbro basically had all the benefits of knocking out templates but the shirts looked a bit more unique for each club - a simple idea but it worked well I thought.

I have to say I'm a fan of the new Club Nacional de Football 2014/14 away kit by Umbro. Nice use of colors and sublimation. Love the patch on the back showing their 21 titles and three Intercontinental Cups above their crest. Nice look.

http://footballfashion.org/wordpress/2014/03/14/club-nacional-de-football-2014-umbro-away-jersey/

I just wish FIFA kept the Intercontinental Cup rather than this crap FIFA Club world Cup. The two legged home-away cup final between UEFA Club Winners Champions Cup and CONMEBOL Club Liberatores Cup had some of the best rivalaries in club football

Man City, England, and NY Cosmos off the top of my head. I am sure there are more, including player sponsorships. Nike basically bought Umbro, took control of their best assets and then sold them off.

As well as pilfering the choice contracts, they also let the less desirable ones simply expire. I'm not an expert on the financial side of things but I've read in a couple of places that Nike were able to write Umbro off as a tax loss more effectively by doing so.

I see Umbro rising up again under this new ownership. It might take a bit but Umbro will always be remembered as the pioneers of football kits. Plus Umbro will always be bigger than Warrior and UA in terms of football kits

I see Umbro rising up again under this new ownership. It might take a bit but Umbro will always be remembered as the pioneers of football kits. Plus Umbro will always be bigger than Warrior and UA in terms of football kits

I personally see the opposite. They have lost the ability to spend big on marquee clients like Adidas, Nike, Puma and even UA and Warrior have the power to do so. I see them sticking to smaller clients but providing a more personalised service to them (hopefully).

I know Everton sound like a big coup for them, however the Kitbag deal I have mentioned many times runs until 2019 and until then the club really have no power in attracting a big manufacturing deal. RC Lens too are also only a relevant small club having spent this season in Ligue 2 - although looking good for promotion at this stage. Ultimately the biggest lost deal was the England shirt deal - which was the flagship of the Umbro range for many years.

I personally see the opposite. They have lost the ability to spend big on marquee clients like Adidas, Nike, Puma and even UA and Warrior have the power to do so. I see them sticking to smaller clients but providing a more personalised service to them (hopefully).

I know Everton sound like a big coup for them, however the Kitbag deal I have mentioned many times runs until 2019 and until then the club really have no power in attracting a big manufacturing deal. RC Lens too are also only a relevant small club having spent this season in Ligue 2 - although looking good for promotion at this stage. Ultimately the biggest lost deal was the England shirt deal - which was the flagship of the Umbro range for many years.

Agreed on the Umbro England deal loss. It will hurt Umbro for years. Especially how much visible recognition they had playing in domestic leagues (all FA competitions used Umbro footballs and match officials wore Umbro officiating kit) and national team (all kits and sponsorship signage). Maybe when MLS' kit contract with Adidas expires (if that will ever happen) maybe Umbro can jump in for a few clubs and get visibility in US.

I don't see MLS moving away from its single-manufacturer deals. The Big Four leagues all do it as well, and the single-entity structure of MLS makes it even more natural.

Umbro would have to outbid for the entire contract, which would be wonderful but I don't see happening.

I don't see MLS moving away from its single-manufacturer deals. The Big Four leagues all do it as well, and the single-entity structure of MLS makes it even more natural.

Umbro would have to outbid for the entire contract, which would be wonderful but I don't see happening.

The Big Four leagues don't have a single entity kit manufacturer as MLS do. The Big Four leagues have a variety of kit manufacturers with Nike and Adidas being the main two. Umbro would have to put up some serious capital to outbid Adidas for MLS rights but if they did, their reputation would surely increase with the amount of viewers world wide of MLS over the coming years.

The Big Four leagues don't have a single entity kit manufacturer as MLS do. The Big Four leagues have a variety of kit manufacturers with Nike and Adidas being the main two. Umbro would have to put up some serious capital to outbid Adidas for MLS rights but if they did, their reputation would surely increase with the amount of viewers world wide of MLS over the coming years.

Goth is talking about the American "Big Four" (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB), not the "Big Four" soccer leagues.

I like that, Umbro successfully rebuilds their brand after that nike sold it (and take contracts for England and other teams). I hope umbro in near future sign deal with English FA.

The FA will not be signing another deal with Umbro again. The FA will be staying with the big name players for next foreseeable future.

Archived