2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

Dempsey will serve as the United States' only forward in tonight's match. Consequently, Graham Zusi will earn a start in the midfield.

I think this is a good move. The US will benefit from Zusi's effectiveness from set pieces for a full 90+ minutes, and the Americans won't have to rely on either Johannsson or Wondolowski, who have zero World Cup experience, save Johannsson's replacement of Altidore in the first half of the Ghana match.

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The allocation of spots is fine. if a confederation had to give up a spot for the OFC, it should be CONMEBOL. UEFA is the only confederation that has had to give up spots for emerging countries. They went from having 13+home out of 24 in 90, to 14+home out of 32 to 13 in 2010. Meanwhile, the other traditional confederation, CONMEBOL, went from 3.5 in 94 to 4.5+ home this year. So this year, more than half of CONMEBOL was in the World Cup. UEFA has 54 members, it's not unreasonable for 1/4 of it to be in the World Cup. Brazil is the only nation from CONMEBOL that has won a World Cup in almost 30 years, and in that time period 4 different UEFA teams have won it.

That's nice. AFC has 47 members and CAF has 54 (!). I would recommend against playing the "proportional representation" card, particularly as UEFA inflates its numbers by, among other things, granting each constituent country of the UK its own team.

Just wait until Vatican City and Monaco are granted teams.

The allocation of spots is fine. if a confederation had to give up a spot for the OFC, it should be CONMEBOL. UEFA is the only confederation that has had to give up spots for emerging countries. They went from having 13+home out of 24 in 90, to 14+home out of 32 to 13 in 2010. Meanwhile, the other traditional confederation, CONMEBOL, went from 3.5 in 94 to 4.5+ home this year. So this year, more than half of CONMEBOL was in the World Cup. UEFA has 54 members, it's not unreasonable for 1/4 of it to be in the World Cup. Brazil is the only nation from CONMEBOL that has won a World Cup in almost 30 years, and in that time period 4 different UEFA teams have won it.

That's nice. AFC has 47 members and CAF has 54 (!). I would recommend against playing the "proportional representation" card, particularly as UEFA inflates its numbers by, among other things, granting each constituent country of the UK its own team.

Sorry but I take offense at that. I am English born. The United Kingdom is not a country. I am not Welsh, Scottish or Irish.

So also by your reckoning all of Scandinavia should be classed a one single country. Iberia as one country. Heck lets take it further any country connected to each other to be classed as one whole country.

No there's a difference, those countries aren't openly unified, the UK is a county of countries. England is just a country in the UK, they may be different, but they're still classified as one country. Besides, it'd just be the English team + Gareth Bale.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Sorry but I take offense at that. I am English born. The United Kingdom is not a country. I am not Welsh, Scottish or Irish.

Your ancestors should have thought about that before passing the 1707 and 1800 Acts of Union. Britain is a bit more united from a governmental perspective than a personal union set up.

England, Scotland, Ireland, wales in football terms were all seperate before UEFA was around. Regardless of what you have put politically which I have no interest in by the way, your actual argument was Uefa granting all of us a seperate identities. Thats the point I was making. I suppose you think that all those in the European union should be one country then if you want to get political.

glory10.png

Ireland is not part of Great Britain so they don't belong in your argument. And if you are so adamant about the differences between the nations of Great Britain, I would highly suggest that you don't mix up Northern Ireland and Ireland.

jNTsTyQ.png

Your ancestors should have thought about that before passing the 1707 and 1800 Acts of Union. Britain is a bit more united from a governmental perspective than a personal union set up.

England, Scotland, Ireland, wales in football terms were all seperate before UEFA was around. Regardless of what you have put politically which I have no interest in by the way, your actual argument was Uefa granting all of us a seperate identities. Thats the point I was making. I suppose you think that all those in the European union should be one country then if you want to get political.

If the EU Parliament had any real power or responsibility for foreign policy and defense, maybe. You know, like the UK Parliament.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ireland is not part of Great Britain so they don't belong in your argument. And if you are so adamant about the differences between the nations of Great Britain, I would highly suggest that you don't mix up Northern Ireland and Ireland.

I apologise I missed the Northern part out of Ireland. My point was that before uefa existed in football terms we are classed as seperate nations. Not as the United Kingdom.

By the way whenever anyone asks me what nationality I am I say English. The Scottish call themselves Scottish and the Welsh class themselves as Welsh. I have not met any that say I am British or I am from the UK.

This is not a political thread anyhow so lets keep it to the subject in hand and see if the USA knock out Portugal.

glory10.png

C'mon, guys, just 45 minutes until the United States-Portugal match starts and the only conversation going on is a pointless political debate over a technicality? Let's have some soccer related discussion, shall we?

To be fair, reading that was more interesting than the recap of the Group H matches + even more US preview, at least in my eyes.

Ah, there's the American soccer I've been expecting to see.

This is gonna be rough if things don't change fast.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Despite that pathetic clearance by Cameron, directly leading to a goal, we've played pretty well. Some good chances. If we keep playing like this, we'll tie it eventually.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Despite that pathetic clearance by Cameron, directly leading to a goal, we've played pretty well. Some good chances. If we keep playing like this, we'll tie it eventually.

Exactly. If Howard keeps it up in goal, I'm confident we'll convert on a few chances.

Archived