2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

Had Bradley not gaffed in the middle of the field, we'd be in the Round of 16. Anything else was better than what he did.

We played well guys. Had two mistakes that led directly to goals, but we played very well.

Now we gotta earn a point against Germany. Or hope for a Ghana-Portugal draw

Either way, I BELIEVE!!

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Ghana beats Portugal and goes through (like I am predicting) then I will be :censored:ing pissed.

If you would have told me that we were going to draw I would have been thrilled, but to give it away like that is ridiculous.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Who also advance with a draw...

Hmmm....

This is what I was thinking earlier. Worst comes to worst, just hope Portugal beats Ghana because the USA isn't losing their +5 goal difference relative to Portugal.

So we go full turtle and appeal to the Germans' self interest? How does one go about rigging a draw?

EDIT, no, seriously, is there anything in the rules of soccer that forbid slightly tapping the ball to kick off and then have both teams literally sit on their asses for the half?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm a bit confused. If US and Ghana both are 1-1-1, wouldn't we advance based on head to head, or are there other tiebreakers?

Goal differential and most goals scored both take priority over head-to-head.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Klinsmann taking a slight jab at FIFA in his post game interview. I know he's gotten a lot of criticism, but I love his honesty and his demeanor.

He has a slight point.

The first two teams who played in Manaus lost their second match (ITA/ENG). While they rolled Cameroon, they still have to recover from a game there.

Watch how Croatia plays tomorrow against Mexico with advancing with a win on the line.

Seriously, that should have been 4 minutes. Stupid 5th minute saved Portugal.

Freaking pretty-boy Ronaldo literally only shows up at the end.

THIS is the best player in the world?

That said, given the US soccer's tendency to break our hearts, watch Portugal make it all the way to the championship game

He showed up when he had to. That's all that matters.

I'm a bit confused. If US and Ghana both are 1-1-1, wouldn't we advance based on head to head, or are there other tiebreakers?

Yep Lafarge is correct. And as stated by wonderbread:

I can layout it a bit, clearer? If there is such a thing.

USA Advances with any of the following results:

- Win vs Germany

- Draw vs Germany

- Loss to Germany, PLUS Portugal/Ghana Draw

- Los to Germany PLUS better total goal differential than the winner of the Portugal/Ghana winner.

I think that's right.

The key here is Germany. I believe both Germany and USA want to advance and it really would be in both teams best interest to draw and assure themselves a spot in the knockout round. Unless Germany feels it would fair better against Portugal should they meet in the Finals, but would they really want to try and beat Portugal a second time?

What does this mean now? What are our chances?

A draw or better and they advance.

Against Zhe Germans...

Hmmm....

klinsmann_low_zpsa8fece5b.jpg

"So anyway Jogi, I've been thinking..."

World Cup 1982 in Spain, Germany and Austria both needed a draw to advance. All they did was just pass it around with few efforts on goal. Have a sneaky feeling it will happen again.

glory10.png

Hmmm....

This is what I was thinking earlier. Worst comes to worst, just hope Portugal beats Ghana because the USA isn't losing their +5 goal difference relative to Portugal.

So we go full turtle and appeal to the Germans' self interest? How does one go about rigging a draw?

EDIT, no, seriously, is there anything in the rules of soccer that forbid slightly tapping the ball to kick off and then have both teams literally sit on their asses for the half?

I forget the year, but West Germany and Austria played a game where both would advance with either a one or two goal win for the Germans. After the Germans got their first goal, both teams basically didn't try the whole game, much to the displeasure of Algeria, who were eliminated as a result.

There is nothing in the Laws of the Game to prevent two teams from actually attacking and play keep away for the entire 90 mins. But I think Germany will try hard for the Three points so they can get the G1 spot so they can play H2 in the Round of 16. That's what's important. Anyways, the Americans will have it tough against the Germans. A lot stronger side than Portugal and can destroy a side on the counter attack.

There is nothing in the Laws of the Game to prevent two teams from actually attacking and play keep away for the entire 90 mins. But I think Germany will try hard for the Three points so they can get the G1 spot so they can play H2 in the Round of 16. That's what's important. Anyways, the Americans will have it tough against the Germans. A lot stronger side than Portugal and can destroy a side on the counter attack.

Germany would still be in 1st Place in the group via goal differential.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Ummmm....

Germany gets G1 based on goal differential. Remember the part of the tournament where they blew the crap out of Portugal?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

World Cup 1982 in Spain, Germany and Austria both needed a draw to advance. All they did was just pass it around with few efforts on goal. Have a sneaky feeling it will happen again.

Yes, but that was the match that prompted simultaneous final matchday start times in the Euros and World Cup going forward. If it happens again here (and it wouldn't be the first time, either), well, both teams have earned the right to be in this position.

spacer.png

Yes, but that was the match that prompted simultaneous final matchday start times in the Euros and World Cup going forward. If it happens again here (and it wouldn't be the first time, either), well, both teams have earned the right to be in this position.

It doesn't really matter what Ghana & Portugal do in their game if the US & Germany, theoretically, just decide to not do much and settle for a 0-0 draw

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived