2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

Just got back from the local establishment... A win is a loss is a win. I'll gladly take it. Into the knockout stage we go for the third time out of the last four World Cups. /progress

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to travel more than any other team, had to play in Manaus, had to play in a downpour, had to play in the group of death, and had to overcome the team that's eliminated them in the last two World Cups. That's a lot to overcome so I'm pretty pleased with getting to the knockout stage for the third time in the last four WC's.

PvO6ZWJ.png

America loses, but according to Soccer Logic and this handy-dandy Chart of Things That Occur In Soccer That Somehow Make Losing Viable, things are a-ok. Proceed, American Soccer Fellowship.

Some day you'll learn to troll in an entertaining way.

It's a group stage; think of it like a league. The NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB don't eliminate teams when they lose a game during the regular season, right? No, a certain number of teams make the playoffs. In this case, two from each group go into a sixteen-team playoff. This is not some weird soccer logic; it's sports logic, and it's perfectly fine.

Thanks for actually explaining something rather than saying cool story bro. I don't/won't watch it enough to grasp it, but the explanation is appreciated. That being said, it's hard for me to comment on something so significant without some snide commentary due to my total lack of respect for the "World's Game." I'll abstain going forward if it would please the masses, which no doubt it would.

[/cujo]

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

btw. I'm glad the US made it together with us. After the group stage I really think you have a chance against Belgium. They weren't as strong as aspected.

I have to say that this German team is probably going to go far in this competition and I wish you guys the best of luck.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

btw. I'm glad the US made it together with us. After the group stage I really think you have a chance against Belgium. They weren't as strong as aspected.

I have to say that this German team is probably going to go far in this competition and I wish you guys the best of luck.

Germany is pretty damn good. The Germans always seem to play with such ease and composure.

America loses, but according to Soccer Logic and this handy-dandy Chart of Things That Occur In Soccer That Somehow Make Losing Viable, things are a-ok. Proceed, American Soccer Fellowship.

Some day you'll learn to troll in an entertaining way.

It's a group stage; think of it like a league. The NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB don't eliminate teams when they lose a game during the regular season, right? No, a certain number of teams make the playoffs. In this case, two from each group go into a sixteen-team playoff. This is not some weird soccer logic; it's sports logic, and it's perfectly fine.

Thanks for actually explaining something rather than saying cool story bro. I don't/won't watch it enough to grasp it, but the explanation is appreciated. That being said, it's hard for me to comment on something so significant without some snide commentary due to my total lack of respect for the "World's Game." I'll abstain going forward if it would please the masses, which no doubt it would.

[/cujo]

Yeah, it's a little wonky with just the order of the things (with the US losing to Germany today and still advancing), but logically, the US deserved to advance. They were (probably) the 2nd best team in the group after beating Ghana 2-1 and then being 30 seconds away from beating Portugal 2-1, so people complaining about the US advancing on a loss doesn't really make much sense because that would be implying either Ghana (who lost to both the US and Portugal) or Portugal (who lost to Germany 4-0 and tied the US at the last second) would have been more deserving to move on -- regardless of today's individual results.

It's like the people who were complaining about the Portugal/US game ending in a tie and complaining about how soccer shouldn't allow ties and the should be extra-time/shootout, but look at the NHL... Most (or smart) NHL fans would prefer the World Cup Group Play system of (W/3pts -T/1pts - L/0 pts) to the current overtime/shootout loss setup (W/2pts - OT L/1pts - Reg L/0 pts). But now that the World Cup "regular season" is over and the "playoffs" are here, it's "win-or-go-home" time, where you must win to advance.

Thanks for actually explaining something rather than saying cool story bro.

Hey, sometimes I like to drop some knowledge.

hqdefault.jpg

The group finished as such:

GER 2W - 1D - 0L = 7 pts

USA 1W - 1D - 1L = 4 pts

POR 1W - 1D - 1L = 4 pts

GHA 0W - 1D - 2L = 1 pt

The US and Portugal were even on points; the first tiebreaker is goal difference. The US takes that, 0 (4 GF, 4GA) to -3 (4 GF, 7 GA).

In the round of 16, the US plays the winners of group H, which will likely be Belgium. It's never easy in the World Cup.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's so bizarre to me that margin of victory somehow impacts the game, wins/losses aside. It all does seem, appropriately enough, very European that there are bizarre circumstances (to an American) that allow moral victories to actually matter.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Most sports leagues have it in a tiebreaker somewhere, though many use head-to-head as the first tiebreaker. In this case, that would have been even, since the US and Portugal tied.

Today, the US did what my friends would call "Vikings-ing into the playoffs".

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I do think it's ridiculous that goal differential is the first tiebreaker. Not that head-to-head would have mattered here because we tied Portugal, but head-to-head should be the first tiebreaker. If you beat someone, that makes you more deserving than them to advance. It would have really sucked if we beat Ghana, tied them in group, and Ghana advanced.

I'm fine with goal differential being the second tiebreaker (because, really, out of three games, what else could you pull from those games to decide?), but head-to-head should be first.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I believe Fifa use goal difference first as apparently it encourages more attacking football and goals to advance to the knock out stage. Thats how I see it.

glory10.png

Who knows what FIFA is thinking most of the time... One player just tried to make a snack out of another player for the third time and he was only suspended for 4 months... and you expect them to set up a flawless point system?

How has the Dive-O-Meter been so far, watchers? It seems like every World Cup there's a shotgun-spray of lowlights.

twitter

I believe Fifa use goal difference first as apparently it encourages more attacking football and goals to advance to the knock out stage. Thats how I see it.

Bingo. Otherwise it'd be get a lead, then pull a Greece.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That display by Algeria was the worst and most obvious time wasting yet. Wouldn't mind seeing one less African team in future installments of the tournament and one more European team. Sweden superior to all 5 of the sides CAF sent this year.

Archived