Has it ever happened?

CC97

That 18 inning funfest between the Rangers and Mariners the other day got me thinking... has a team ever run out of players to use in a game (not incl. the 2002 all-star game).

I'm sure there have been instances in which there are no bench players left, or noone in the bullpen... has there ever been a case in which a player was injured during this situation?

And if so... what happened?

Similar question for goaltenders in hockey... has a starter, then the backup both been injured in the same game? We all know about the incident with the Rangers in the stanley cup several decades ago, but has it happened since?

Thanks in advance!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know teams have run out of pitchers before. I believe Wade Boggs once pitched an inning because of this. There have been other occassions of this, as well. Just can't remember any.

Can't think of a team running out of ANY bench players what so ever

IUe6Hvh.png

I remember an instance in the CFL Western semi final in 1979,

BC vs Calgary, Joe Paopao started for the Lions, but was hurt and backup Mike Nott came in, then he got hurt too, since Nott was injured worse than Paopao, Paopao went back in, and the Stamps rolled to an easy 37-2 victory.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

This year, Dafoe was hurt and left the game, then Nurminen got in a fight and was kicked out. They played the last few minutes with no goalie. I think it was against the Oilers.

I think Jose Canseco had to pitch once. Blew out his elbow...

I also remember a certain Shane Spencer playing all nine positions in a Rangers' game. I don't think it was because Texas ran out of players, though.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Happened to my team in a baseball tournament one time.... we were in the 16th inning (i think) and our pitcher got hit in the face by a batted ball. He sat on foul territory, while our right fielder pitched the rest fo the inning. We batted, then, when it was time to come back out, he played right field with ice on his eye, till he could opwen his eye again.

basically, it was kile soccer... he just sat off to the side till he felt better. We won that game on a solo HR in the top of the inning.

So, there you go.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

anyone remember when the Redskins ran out of QBs against the Eagles, i think? and Brian Mitchell had to play QB.

we ran out of QBs the first game when i played :hockeysmiley: the guy who was our QB/safety blew his arm out, and switched to HB. unfortunately, his backup had never played the position before :shocked: needless to say, this was a major reason for us going 0-9-we couldn't pass cus this kid was greener than our uniforms, and we couldn't run cus everybody knew we couldn't pass...and we couldn't stop anybody cus the offense kept screwin us defense guys over :evil:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Ahh... that reminds me -- The Florida State Seminoles had to play Anquan Boldin at QB in the Sugar Bowl two or three years back because Chris Rix was suspended for academic reasons, Adrian McPherson was kicked off the team for stealing a check or something like that, and there back up Qb as playing badly.

So they put out Anquan Boldin, who had played QB in High School or something like that and he did pretty good for a WR.

IUe6Hvh.png

I remember 2 years ago i think Osbaldison got hurt so the ti-cats had to scramble for a kicker and a punter the one game... i think morreale took over the punting duties that game....

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

High school roller hockey game in May. Our starting goalie had a family emergency to attend to, so our backup had to play the whole game. About halfway through the second half, he started to feel the effects of dehydration. We had to call our timeout cause he was dry-heaving, but he wouldn't leave the game. We finished regular time tied 5-5 and had to go into OT. By now our goalie was sick as hell, so we had three options: forfeit the game, play OT without a goalie, or strip the pads off our goalie and put them on a skater. We put the pads on him in record time and started OT. He made probably one of the best blocker saves I've ever seen, then let up the next shot he faced. So we lost, but it was still great fun. Helped bring the team together a lot more.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

This year, Dafoe was hurt and left the game, then Nurminen got in a fight and was kicked out. They played the last few minutes with no goalie. I think it was against the Oilers.

That was funny to me I was trhat and was balling. Note to self: if the team doesn't have a 3rd goalie and the starter got injured, don't get into a fight

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Ahh... that reminds me -- The Florida State Seminoles had to play Anquan Boldin at QB in the Sugar Bowl two or three years back because Chris Rix was suspended for academic reasons, Adrian McPherson was kicked off the team for stealing a check or something like that, and there back up Qb as playing badly.

So they put out Anquan Boldin, who had played QB in High School or something like that and he did pretty good for a WR.

Academic meaning he had a family crisis, stayed on the phone all night and slept lat and missed an exam.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I remember Sterling Sharpe took some snaps for the Packers in a game, but he only threw one pass before Brett took over again. I don't think they were out of QB's though.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

I've heard stories about a baseball game in which a 1st base coach was put into the game because there were no players left... anyone else hear about this?

I don't know if that's possible...I think a player has to be on the 25-man roster to be able to be used in a game, so unless the team was able to make room on its roster and sign the coach to play in the time needed, I don't think it's very likely.

Then again, I'm kinda working off the top of my head and I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time :D

Academic meaning he had a family crisis, stayed on the phone all night and slept lat and missed an exam.

Regardless. It was still 'academic reasons'. A family crisis doesn't mean you get to bend the rules regarding academics. He knew the rules, and he let his team down.

IUe6Hvh.png

I was in attendance in 2003 at a NWFA (National Womens Football Association) game between the Nashville Dream and the Atlanta Leopards when the Leopards showed up with only 9 players in uniform ready to play.To the Leopards' credit,they chose to go ahead and play the game with their numbers-short roster instead of forfeiting (and it got worse,as one of the Leopards was injured in the second quarter,leaving them playing 8 against 11). As you might expect,the Dream won 52-0. I am a fan of the Nashville Dream, but I left the game as an admirer of the Leopards'courage and class. Sometimes, being a winner isn't about the scoreboard.

Archived