Penn State & Ohio State

raysox

Dang it's been a while. I've had these two rebrands done for a colaboration I worked on that fell through.

Penn State

Have you seen their logo? It's not that great. Everyone wanted a rebrand after the whole Sandusky incident to start over. I saw a proposal to use an old logo with an S in a keystone. I thought it could be a pretty good alternate. The use of a keystone for Penn State made tons of sense. I used the logos they had early last decade, but modified it. I wanted a sleeker, meaner lion. A Nittany Lion is just a mountain lion from Nittany Mountain, which i learnt doing this concept. Anyway here it is.

PennState_zps081c3df7.png

Ohio State

Fun fact: Ohio State's logo is kind of a mess too. Too cluttered, not bold enough. I wanted to make the set bold and run with it. I made an O logo with a buck eye the primary. My goal was to make it not look like a pot leaf(it doesn't right?) I used black instead of a dark grey, like i originally wanted. Yeah, not too much else about this one!

OhioState_zps0dc3cef3.png

So give me some comments, stroke my ego, and if you're the Dean of either university, PM me and you can pay me for these

I really like Penn State's.

OSU's is good too, but it seems to fix something that does not need fixing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Solid stuff. Simplicity generally always works for me. A few small things.

Penn State

- The top of the keystone in both logos looks like it could use, I don't know, something. I think it could just be shifting the "S" up just a bit, almost centering it in the space of the Keystone.

- On the lion one, I think just shifting the lion up and to the right a little bit would help. Either that, or maybe adding letters to the top (PSU?). I just feel like the empty space is strange here.

Ohio State

- The "A" in Ohio State could use some space for the..uhh..."a-hole" :D From a distance, it looks like a triangle. (I'm aware I set up a joke here. Swing away.)

- Watch the kerning between letters, specifically in "T-A-T-E". T and E are almost touching, whereas there are large gaps between A and T.

- Any chance we can see a Brutus logo?

Penn State is great; no recommendations there.

WIth Ohio State, you have to add some silver/gray back into that set. Gray is one of their colors afterall. As it is there's no gray to be found anywhere; there's only black. I'd make the block O gray again, and I'd either add an additional gray trim to the Ohio State wordmark or I'd make that wordmark siilver trimmed in black then white.

Great work as usual. As someone who doesn't know college logos much, I found it hard to point out differences between your OSU logo (top right) and the current look without going to find a picture of it. To me, that means this is a great update.

I think you should fill the blank spot above the lion's head with "STATE". Everything else about Penn State looks wonderful.

This. I knew something should be put near the top but wasn't sure what. Either STATE or PSU should be at the top to fill that empty space.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

These are both very good. On Penn State, both logos look a bit unbalanced to the bottom. In the keystone S logo, this could be remedied by moving the S up slightly. In the other logo, you could either adjust the position of the lion (my preference) or add text at the top. I'd also be curious to see what the lion looked like with pupils. I don't have any complaints about Ohio State.

It continues to amaze me how much better the concepts on here are than the actual identities.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

• 1 month later...

Penn State

Have you seen their logo? It's not that great. Everyone wanted a rebrand after the whole Sandusky incident to start over. I saw a proposal to use an old logo with an S in a keystone. I thought it could be a pretty good alternate. The use of a keystone for Penn State made tons of sense. I used the logos they had early last decade, but modified it. I wanted a sleeker, meaner lion. A Nittany Lion is just a mountain lion from Nittany Mountain, which i learnt doing this concept. Anyway here it is.

PennState_zps081c3df7.png

You probably saw the Keystone S idea from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3xtcNoPH-nzMmJiZmQ4NDYtY2E4Ny00ZGU4LWI5MWMtNmIyM2RlYzFlZDRi/edit?pli=1

Anyway, I am a fan of the Keystone S. The current logo (I call it the "chipmunk head") is good and timeless, in my humble opinion. Apparently it has been around since 1983. Personally, I do not think any rebrand other than the above google doc would be accepted by the PSU community.

See, in ~2001, PSU tried to introduce that "fiercer" looking lion and font and people did not like it or purchase items with that logo on there. So...

How to make your logo better... Forget the 2001 logo. It looks too much like PITT's "otter" http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/80353472002/Pittsburgh_Panthers/2002/Alternate_Logo

Keep using the Keystone and an academic looking font... The "S" almost made a comeback in the late 1990's, but the 2001 fierce lion slowed that momentum. So a Keystone with the S is great. As for another logo... keep the chipmunk head but adapt it into the keystone or something like that...

Archived