2014 NFL Offseason

Kramerica Industries

With Caldwell being invited to the program w/ Manning at Duke instead of Decker, that tells us everything we need to know about whether Decker will be back in Denver.

Why are we acting surprised? Decker was out the moment Denver signed Wes Welker.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Caldwell being invited to the program w/ Manning at Duke instead of Decker, that tells us everything we need to know about whether Decker will be back in Denver.

To be honest, I really don't care. He's going to get over paid, he'll under perform and drop half as many balls as he catches.

agreed, reminds me of Brandon Stokley. Payton, make his receivers better, like Brady. Thats why there are elite QB's.

So this Browns insider with over 2000 followers and apparently a legit track record (such as breaking Kyle Shannahan hiring and Lombardi firing) just said on his Twitter that the Browns have made an offer worth years of first round Draft picks for...

Tom Brady. Judging by the fact that the Browns tried to trade for Harbaugh, this isn't that far from believable. I don't think the Pats would ever do it, but at least Cleveland fans can say their management is serious about winning.

Twitter.com/dawgpoundnews

Meh. These huge free agent spending sprees rarely if ever live up to the hype.... just ask the Eagles and Redskins.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's not like the Broncos were contenders before this or anything... oh wait.

but they are bring in guys that IMO are aging like the redskins & eagles did. if the pats did all this id say the same thing, dont worry. Has any big spending spree in the NFL ever worked??

Meh. These huge free agent spending sprees rarely if ever live up to the hype.... just ask the Eagles and Redskins.

but they are bring in guys that IMO are aging like the redskins & eagles did. if the pats did all this id say the same thing, dont worry. Has any big spending spree in the NFL ever worked??

I don't know, how did Wes Welker, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Louis Vasquez & Shaun Phillips work out for Denver last year?

Also, how does bringing in one 'aging' veteran qualify as just bringing in aging players? Talib, Ward, not aging. So your claim is unfounded.

Denver is bringing in leadership and toughness to the defense. They let their 'aging' veteran go in order to save $10M.

To be honest, I really don't care. He's going to get over paid, he'll under perform and drop half as many balls as he catches.

I really liked Caldwell last year. He can likely put up similar production to Decker when he's an afterthought in an offense featuring Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Julius Thomas. Decker's going to get overpaid somewhere. He's a good WR but he's not as good as Peyton made him look.

As far as money not buying championships, it's true, but money spent well can certainly help. They were pretty smart about the money they've spent for the most part. Rather than target Jairus Byrd, they went for TJ Ward, who they got for less years, is cheaper, and was also a pro bowler last season. And like ADW said, Lights Out, neither of the teams you mentioned were among the leagues 2 or 3 Super Bowl favorites before spending that money.

If not, then it's a little unclear as to why you wanted the Patriots to bring in the biggest free agent out there, Jairus Byrd. Ward and Talib aging? I guess in the sense that everybody is, in fact, getting older.

IUe6Hvh.png

So this Browns insider with over 2000 followers and apparently a legit track record (such as breaking Kyle Shannahan hiring and Lombardi firing) just said on his Twitter that the Browns have made an offer worth years of first round Draft picks for...

Tom Brady. Judging by the fact that the Browns tried to trade for Harbaugh, this isn't that far from believable. I don't think the Pats would ever do it, but at least Cleveland fans can say their management is serious about winning.

Yes, because "Dawgpoundnews" is such a trustworthy source. :rolleyes:

And even on the off chance it's true, trading years and years' worth of first-round picks for a 36-year-old quarterback sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, even with how great Brady is.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That and the Patriots brass would have a fan revolt on their hands if they were foolish enough to do it.

If I were a Patriots fan I would love for the Patriots to do it, depending on what years of first rounds picks actually means. You would have to think it would mean three or more. I can understand why fans wouldn't but I think Mallett would be a capable QB, they'd still have a very good chance in a weak division and you can use those picks to build up a dominant defense again.

But it's silly to even discuss since it will never happen.

IUe6Hvh.png

If that was a legit offer, New England would be insane not to immediately say "YES!"

People in Fantasy Leagues dont see that type of deal...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I really liked Caldwell last year. He can likely put up similar production to Decker when he's an afterthought in an offense featuring Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Julius Thomas. Decker's going to get overpaid somewhere. He's a good WR but he's not as good as Peyton made him look.

As far as money not buying championships, it's true, but money spent well can certainly help. They were pretty smart about the money they've spent for the most part. Rather than target Jairus Byrd, they went for TJ Ward, who they got for less years, is cheaper, and was also a pro bowler last season. And like ADW said, Lights Out, neither of the teams you mentioned were among the leagues 2 or 3 Super Bowl favorites before spending that money.

If not, then it's a little unclear as to why you wanted the Patriots to bring in the biggest free agent out there, Jairus Byrd. Ward and Talib aging? I guess in the sense that everybody is, in fact, getting older.

yes, because signing ONE big name free agent is a spending spree?? :rolleyes: Talib is what 28?? ware is 31, plus with talib's previous issues with marijuana and being in colorado, it might not end well. payton ,welker are both getting older as well its only a matter of time before they decline even a lil bit.

Ah, free agency. When everyone forgets that football is a team game. Cleveland could get Brady for a conditional third-rounder and it still wouldn't do them much good. Brady is a superb player, but team success is a product of the synergy between players and coaches and the organization.

Drew Brees in San Diego? Average to above-average. He partners with Payton and becomes one of the best of all time. There are a million examples, including the other way - a lot of players who signed big contracts to be "saviors" and absolutely sucked.

Some Atlanta fans say, "Oh God, we traded away Brett Favre!" As if he would ever have been the Favre we know with the Falcons of that era. Same in TB with Steve Young. If the Saints had drafted Joe Montana, he'd be an NFL footnote.

Andrew Brandt was a guest on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast, which you should all be listening to - it's terrific. He made an interesting point and used Joe Johnson, a DE the Packers signed away from the Saints many years ago, as the example. He said Johnson came to Green Bay and never panned out, and it was obvious that in his heart he would always be a Saint and just wasn't into Green Bay. For some players it's that, others can't adjust to the new environment/coaches/players etc.

Team success is a stew and a single player is but one ingredient among many.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

yes, because signing ONE big name free agent is a spending spree?? :rolleyes: Talib is what 28?? ware is 31, plus with talib's previous issues with marijuana and being in colorado, it might not end well. payton ,welker are both getting older as well its only a matter of time before they decline even a lil bit.

Oh okay, so you would have wanted Byrd and then for New England to do nothing else? Talib could walk. Revis could sign elsewhere. Edelman could go. You'd have been perfectly content? That'd have made New England better?

And 28 is old? Again, you wanted Jairus Byrd who's only 8 months younger (you also expressed disappointment that New England didn't resign Talib). Ware is 31 but the contract is front loaded and Denver has the pieces so that Ware likely won't have to be an every down player.

Considering Peyton just put up one of the best seasons in the history of the NFL... I think he'd be alright if he declined a little bit.

IUe6Hvh.png

Tom Brady. Judging by the fact that the Browns tried to trade for Harbaugh, this isn't that far from believable. I don't think the Pats would ever do it, but at least Cleveland fans can say their management is serious about winning. completely and totally certifiably insane.

Years of first rounders for a 36-year old Brady? Yeah that's a one-sided trade alright....in New England's favor. And even the best QBs need something to work with, which is not what Cleveland has.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived