North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Indy Eleven's ownership has stated from the start that they are satisfied with NASL and have no dreams of MLS, so I'm not sure where an Indy rumour would come from. I expect the league to stick with 24 clubs for at least a few years, which means only two spots unspoken for.

21. Atlanta

22. LAFC

23. Open (though slated for Miami)

24. Open (one of LV, Minnesota, SA or Sacramento)

Anyone's guess at this point where that 24th franchise goes (and whether or not Beckham can get Miami together).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Gothamite, you think they could do that again with Sacramento? Plus it's not like it's a really small market (the Sacramento TV market is the 20th largest in the US). I just really want to see Miami work out (partially because I want to see what crazy identity they could concoct for a city like Miami, especially something like the Flamingos), but it's getting harder to with all the delays.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

The city seems to want Beckham to move into Dolphins Stadium instead of allowing him to build a new site, mainly because the state is helping with Orlando's new digs and doesn't want to have to pony up for another stadium. And I think MLS doesn't like the idea of a stadium that looks nearly empty because a 60,000 seat stadium only has 7,000 to 10,000 people in the stands for a weeknight game vs. San Jose.

The biggest issue for San Antonio I believe will be transportation. There are enough parking spots for the crowds they currently get, but when they played FC Dallas it was at full capacity. If they played LA Galaxy or another MLS titan there'd be a severe issue getting in and out of the area. But if they aren't coming in til 2022 they'll have plenty of time to rectify that, granted VIA would probably have packages for fans to park and ride in from other parts of the city to cut down on congestion at the stadium.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, they seem to have picked him up solely to trade for the allocation money. Must have other moves in mind.

Similarly, they almost instantly sent Sal Zizzo to the Red Bulls in exchange for Ryan Meara on a one-year loan.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/12/11/new-york-red-bulls-ryan-meara-loan

So much lower division news my head is spinning:

1) Raul to Cosmos

2) Ronoldo (original) buys stake in Strikers

3) NASL expansion to at least LA (Peterson has mentioned as many as 4 teams being close) eminent. Who is involved? Reportedly Eric Wynalda and...Kim Kardashian.

4) USL Pro to apply for 2nd Division in 2017 and split into 2 leagues. Rumored of course. Would distroy argument that Pro/Rel can't happen because of owner investment because you've now lied to NASL owners about their investment. Also it would show US Soccer truly a puppet of MLS. It's rediculous enough to have that many reserve teams in the 3rd division let alone in the 2nd division.

5) Dayton going down to PDL.

6) USL pro will have a East and Western conference.

4) USL Pro to apply for 2nd Division in 2017 and split into 2 leagues. Rumored of course. Would distroy argument that Pro/Rel can't happen because of owner investment because you've now lied to NASL owners about their investment. Also it would show US Soccer truly a puppet of MLS. It's rediculous enough to have that many reserve teams in the 3rd division let alone in the 2nd division.

It doesn't "destroy" anything. Are the NASL clubs being removed from the 2nd tier? Then they haven't been "lied to". And anyway, USL Pro has a long way to go to show that their teams meet the requirements for D2, from stadium and market size to owner capitalization.

I really want Pro/Rel in American soccer, but this is a silly argument to get there.

Might actually consider going to a United game or two now that they have a reasonable place to spectate from, that was very long overdue.

Of course, as soon as my MLS fandom gets up to par of everyone else in this thread.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

This, after the D.C. city council approved nearly $150 million in tax breaks and subsidies for the $300 million stadium...all while the franchise is only worth $35 million.

'Murica.

Good for DC, that's long overdue for them.

Anyway, it's weird how the schedule for next year still hasn't been released yet. The season starts in 3 months, what's the holdup?

The current CBA ends on January 1.

The last time in which the CBA expired was 2010 and the full schedule was not released until February 3*, which then was 21 days before that contract expired.

*-And Garber was claiming the league was losing $100MM/year then too.

This, after the D.C. city council approved nearly $150 million in tax breaks and subsidies for the $300 million stadium...all while the franchise is only worth $35 million.

'Murica.

When $70M becomes the franchise fee, no team is actually worth $35M.

No link, but local papers are saying the Sounders are looking for a SSS, which may itself be a "power play" to get the Seahawks to install grass.

A SSS should be dismissed out hand, but installing grass at Century Link is obviously a good idea. There is a huge international soccer opportunity cost to not having grass, including potential player signings, international matches, and the potential hosting of a US World Cup match.

If the Sounders left downtown, I'm pretty sure I'd be about done with them. The downtown atmosphere is a huge selling point with the team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No link, but local papers are saying the Sounders are looking for a SSS, which may itself be a "power play" to get the Seahawks to install grass.

A SSS should be dismissed out hand, but installing grass at Century Link is obviously a good idea. There is a huge international soccer opportunity cost to not having grass, including potential player signings, international matches, and the potential hosting of a US World Cup match.

If the Sounders left downtown, I'm pretty sure I'd be about done with them. The downtown atmosphere is a huge selling point with the team.

The Sounders have no reason to leave CenturyLink if they're capable of filling it.

Also, that's awesome if the schedule comes out this week! I'm definitely getting tickets for when NYCFC comes to Toronto, and I'd like to catch a game at home as well.

Archived