Jersey Faux Pas for fans at sporting events

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have pink and regular colored jerseys. Some are women's cut and others are just the smallest men's size. Bottom line, wear what you want. I will say though, I've never seen a guy look good in a hockey jersey. Sorry guys, but you look like Kevin Smith (see pic) when you wear them in public. That is one of the things I love about Nike's NFL jerseys. It makes men look fitter since they aren't over-sized. I mean, if you're out of shape should you really be wearing an athlete's jersey? It's an oxymoron. Think about it.

kevin_smith_2965770.jpg

I'm in my 40s and about once or twice a season, I wear an authentic Mitchell and Ness Reds jersey from the 1970s Big Red Machine era to the game. Am I too old for that, since those guys are a generation older than me? FWIW, I have no desire to wear the jersey of any player from the past 25-30 years.

I have pink and regular colored jerseys. Some are women's cut and others are just the smallest men's size. Bottom line, wear what you want. I will say though, I've never seen a guy look good in a hockey jersey. Sorry guys, but you look like Kevin Smith (see pic) when you wear them in public. That is one of the things I love about Nike's NFL jerseys. It makes men look fitter since they aren't over-sized. I mean, if you're out of shape should you really be wearing an athlete's jersey? It's an oxymoron. Think about it.

kevin_smith_2965770.jpg

Jorts are also a bad idea.

kevin_smith_2965770.jpg

Those look more like jean capris....which is even worse.

I will say though, I've never seen a guy look good in a hockey jersey. Sorry guys, but you look like Kevin Smith (see pic) when you wear them in public.

While fashion tips from the fairer sex is always appreciated I have to say that I'm not looking to dress to impress when I throw on a hockey sweater ;)

I will say though, I've never seen a guy look good in a hockey jersey. Sorry guys, but you look like Kevin Smith (see pic) when you wear them in public.

While fashion tips from the fairer sex is always appreciated I have to say that I'm not looking to dress to impress when I throw on a hockey sweater ;)

;) I did say, "wear what you want". As for the men in hockey thingy, that's just one's opinion.

I mean, if you're out of shape should you really be wearing an athlete's jersey? It's an oxymoron. Think about it.

kevin_smith_2965770.jpg

That's a common fallacy that too many heavyset men fall victim to. They think baggy clothing is more flattering. Quite the contrary; it makes you look fatter.

kevin_smith_2965770.jpg

Wow. There isn't a single "good" idea in that whole photo.

87Redskins.png

I actually wrote an article about this:

http://www.baconsports.com/10-rules-wearing-jersey/

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I certainly agree that it may be a little childish and silly for an adult to wear his name and number on the back of his favorite team's Jersey, but players come and go, as do eras, etc. and sometimes the only thing you can be certain of is your love for you team. I guess I'm completely in the minority here, but I think this is acceptable. I also think the historical inaccuracy one is neat too. sometimes it's fun to imagine how a great player from the past would look in a current jersey, etc. also, I'm not the biggest hockey fan in the world, so I'm speaking more toward baseball/football ( and no, I don't currently own any jerseys breaking these rules), I just think these are far lesser offenses than some of the others.

Meh. The older I get, the less I care what a few random teenagers think about what I choose to wear to a sporting event.

For the most part, the people making these "lists" of jersey "faux pas" are the same type of people who can't even navigate a public restroom without a laundry list of self-imposed "rules" that they must follow in order to appease their deep-rooted insecurities that would shatter their world to a million pieces if they happened to make eye contact with a fellow restroom user.

Life is too short to worry about stuff like this.

My jerseys, most of them anyway, contain no name on the back because of the principle one of my friends put forth: "You are giving of the impression that you are representing the whole team, as opposed to one player." I also wear them to any comic cons I go to, so they're OK to wear there.

UBwef0L.png

Any jersey faux-pas you may or may not break is way less offensive to me than creating a list of rules and judging others on what they wear.

Although jersey at a funeral may be a line for me, even if it's black...

;) I did say, "wear what you want". As for the men in hockey thingy, that's just one's opinion.

I don't even really disagree with your opinion. I'm just saying I don't wear a hockey sweater to a hockey game looking to pick someone up. It's a hockey game, not a bar or club.

My jerseys, most of them anyway, contain no name on the back because of the principle one of my friends put forth: "You are giving of the impression that you are representing the whole team, as opposed to one player." I also wear them to any comic cons I go to, so they're OK to wear there.

It's a good idea but unfortunately doesn't work for basketball and American football.

Archived