Jersey Faux Pas for fans at sporting events

kiwi_canadian

I hate when fans create jerseys of players that are in the wrong era. For example, I don't like to see a Pete Rose jersey with his name and #14 created from a jersey from the 1999-06 vests or the current model.

Aw, I love to do stuff like that. I make it a point to try and learn the history of whatever sport I'm interested in, so imagining what certain players' jerseys would look like in different eras interests me. I've spent many a time on NBA.com personalizing and previewing jerseys, and I always have a roster file with legends on the current roster in every sports video game I own.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you follow any of these "rules" you just might want to take a look at your priorities. Wear what you want, where you want, when you want, and don't give a flying :censored: about what anyone else thinks about it. That, folks, is the only "rule" that matters. B)

I promise you that when I don my Blue Jackets home jersey and wear it to the game tomorrow night, I will give absolutely zero :censored:-s what anyone else thinks about my choice of apparel. I'm there to have fun. I'm not at all concerned about jersey "faux pas", "rules", "pet peeves", and so on...

BB52Big.jpg

No problems with folk wearing their team's shirt - I do so myself - but there's no excuse for wearing the shorts and socks as well. You look silly.

And although it's not a jersey issue, if we're talking match wear in general there is no justification whatsoever for wearing a half-and-half scarf. Ugh.

- people wearing jerseys of teams other than the ones who are playing (I even read this somewhere from a players perspective and how they didn't understand why people do that)... this can have an exception if wearing a jersey of a player on a former team then the one they are currently playing for

- people wearing other sport jerseys other than the one that is being played

These 2 typically bother me as well. On TV, you'll see a lot of fans at the New Orleans Pelicans games wearing Saints jerseys and gear. Same for New Orleans Voodoo (arena football) games.

gYH2mW9.png

I hate when fans create jerseys of players that are in the wrong era. For example, I don't like to see a Pete Rose jersey with his name and #14 created from a jersey from the 1999-06 vests or the current model.

Aw, I love to do stuff like that. I make it a point to try and learn the history of whatever sport I'm interested in, so imagining what certain players' jerseys would look like in different eras interests me. I've spent many a time on NBA.com personalizing and previewing jerseys, and I always have a roster file with legends on the current roster in every sports video game I own.

But us this OK? I mean, he did wear it for like 10 minutes at least

091010-MLB-Pete-Rose-JW_20100911193847_6

Go A's!

If you follow any of these "rules" you just might want to take a look at your priorities. Wear what you want, where you want, when you want, and don't give a flying :censored: about what anyone else thinks about it. That, folks, is the only "rule" that matters. B)

I promise you that when I don my Blue Jackets home jersey and wear it to the game tomorrow night, I will give absolutely zero :censored:-s what anyone else thinks about my choice of apparel. I'm there to have fun. I'm not at all concerned about jersey "faux pas", "rules", "pet peeves", and so on...

Well said.

Of course. Nobody's proposing any laws, just expressing opinions. YMMV.

You have a right to wear a powder-blue polyester tuxedo to the game if you want. I personally think that would look better than a jersey with your name on the back, but that's just me. Beauty of a pluralistic society is that we're both right because our rules apply only to ourselves. :)

Of course. Nobody's proposing any laws, just expressing opinions. YMMV.

You have a right to wear a powder-blue polyester tuxedo to the game if you want. I personally think that would look better than a jersey with your name on the back, but that's just me. Beauty of a pluralistic society is that we're both right because our rules apply only to ourselves. :)

I think a Powder Blue polyester tuxedo WITH your name on the back would be outstanding.

I'm seriously considering getting only personalized jerseys, not because i want to pretend i play for the team or whatever but because I currently have a celtics kg, pats welker, bruins seguin, and red sox papelbon jerseys that i don't like as much anymore because they aren't on the teams, if i got personalized jerseys i wouldn't have this problem anymore, and not have to get new jerseys unless they change the design, which for 2/4 i don't see that ever happening and the other 2 aren't going to change any time soon.

But us this OK? I mean, he did wear it for like 10 minutes at least

091010-MLB-Pete-Rose-JW_20100911193847_6

This is just my opinion, but with short little ceremonies like that, I don't mind. But for something that's meant to last forever, like banners, it's far better to use the era that they're from.

As far as the actual jerseys being worn...if today's players can wear throwbacks and they can be sold, then I see no reason why having older players' name & number on current jerseys should be an issue (for fans, at least. I can see why the leagues would hate it, as it cuts into the throwback market).

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I'm seriously considering getting only personalized jerseys, not because i want to pretend i play for the team or whatever but because I currently have a celtics kg, pats welker, bruins seguin, and red sox papelbon jerseys that i don't like as much anymore because they aren't on the teams, if i got personalized jerseys i wouldn't have this problem anymore, and not have to get new jerseys unless they change the design, which for 2/4 i don't see that ever happening and the other 2 aren't going to change any time soon.

Is the Papelbon jersey a home jersey or road jersey? If it's the home it shouldn't be a problem since it wouldn't have his name on the back.

Thats your call - just prepare to be publicly mocked (behind your back of course) and possibly have your faux pas posted on this thread or a similar site... if wearing your Boo Jax jersey when you feel like it is worth it to ya, have at 'er.

canada.png

Regarding former player jerseys...I bought a Cubs Derrek Lee jersey, not because he was the best player, but because he had the longest contract. A couple years later, he's gone and the jersey hasn't left the hanger in my closet. Also have a Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark Colts Jerseys and they are both gone as well (part of me feels like those two can be considered "timeless" because they they helped win the Colts a Super Bowl)

Zach.

Thats your call - just prepare to be publicly mocked (behind your back of course) and possibly have your faux pas posted on this thread or a similar site... if wearing your Boo Jax jersey when you feel like it is worth it to ya, have at 'er.

Right, because I care about about the opinion of someone who thinks "Boo Jax" is witty. :rolleyes: What part of "I don't care what people think" flew over your head, chief?

EDIT: Just curious, why would a bunch of people at a Blue Jackets game mock someone for wearing a Blue Jackets jersey? Especially when a good percentage of those people are wearing jerseys themselves?

BB52Big.jpg

I'm always easy on the "wearing merch of a team that's not playing". I've worn a rays hat to a Phillies-Braves game in Atlanta because I don't support either team

I think hats are a little different - at least to me. I'm pretty sure I wore my 49ers hat to a Phillies-Cubs game in Philly, but I also wear the same 49ers hat almost every day. Shirts/jerseys, though... you obviously wore a certain shirt to a game for a reason.

A bunch of these faux pas...es? are pretty ridiculous and reaching quite a bit. Wear whatever you want, just don't tuck it in, probably don't get your name on the back, and wearing a Bears jersey to a Panthers-49ers game is probably going to get some funny looks. But hey, whatever makes you happy.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived