David Beckham Exercises Option to Buy MLS Expansion Franchise

bleuet

The only problem is that it's not yet an expansion team.

The whole point of that was to say that Beckham has decided to try and build a stadium to bring an MLS team to Miami.

From MLS.com:

The league announced Wednesday that the former LA Galaxy superstar has exercised his option for an MLS expansion team and will seek to build that team in Miami, a move rumored for months that now looks like a reality for soccer fans in South Florida.

So nothing is set in stone at all.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Fusion also had awful management and ownership. I should hope that Goldenballs can do better than that.

This announcement seems premature, though. Still a lot of hurdles.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Fusion also had awful management and ownership. I should hope that Goldenballs can do better than that.

This announcement seems premature, though. Still a lot of hurdles.

Yeah they do seem to be jumping the gun here. They've got no stadium and no stadium timeline. At least they didn't launch the team outright without a solid stadium plan in place like they did with NYCFC though.

To be clear, all they've announced here is that Beckham exercised his right to purchase a MLS expansion franchise at a discounted rate of $25 million. He was granted that option as part of his deal with MLS to come play for L.A. Galaxy.

He's chosen Miami as the site of the franchise, but that's contingent upon him securing plans for a stadium. It could turn out that he fails in his stadium bid. All that means is he could take his expansion franchise to a different location.

I doubt, however, that he will fail.

Could they make Sun Life Stadium work? I think it could work Sounders/Revolution style, with maybe less seats then the teams mentioned.

No Sun Life stadium won't work for the same reason it didn't work for the Marlins. Too far from downtown Miami and for soccer in particular its too big. It would have more in common with the Revolution who play in front of more plastic than they do people than it would the Sounders. And the only reason the Revolution still get away with their crappy situation is the fact their owner owns the stadium. That wouldn't be the case in Miami.

The only way I can see this working is if the team plays in, and is branded for, Fort Lauderdale. Otherwise it'll be just another Miami team that South Beach residents ignore unless they're contending.

The only way I can see this working is if the team plays in, and is branded for, Fort Lauderdale. Otherwise it'll be just another Miami team that South Beach residents ignore unless they're contending.

Well then get ready for another south beach team. I doubt they'd be pulling out the glitz and glamour of Beckham to put a team in Ft. Lauderdale.

They are 3 years out at least so maybe they can build something stronger in the meantime.

From what I keep hearing out of them (Flight 19), Ft. Lauderdale is not Miami. They are 2 distance markets that can coexist. I'm not sure how true that is but perhaps they are right. Not sure how much they currently draw from Miami proper.

From what I keep hearing out of them (Flight 19), Ft. Lauderdale is not Miami. They are 2 distance markets that can coexist. I'm not sure how true that is but perhaps they are right. Not sure how much they currently draw from Miami proper.

That's very, very wishful thinking. It's 30 miles of I-95 separating two (and I'd argue one) pretty bad sports markets.

I hope this works out. I've always enjoyed watching the USA's men and women's teams, but have never gotten into any of the domestic leagues. I don't like soccer enough to watch without a rooting interest, so I'd be really excited to see a Miami franchise come to fruition and prosper.

Time will tell, obviously. Location in the city is key. It's a damn misery to get around and no one uses public transportation. We're being told that the Latin population will be a major source of support for a new team. Sounds like the reasoning for putting the Marlins in Little Havana, and that didn't turn out so well.

PJU85JF.png

Well then get ready for another south beach team. I doubt they'd be pulling out the glitz and glamour of Beckham to put a team in Ft. Lauderdale.

I think that's probably what's going to happen as well... I just don't see it working. At least in Ft. Lauderdale they might have the Green Bay effect, where the team becomes rooted in the community there's next to nothing else going on in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Beckham won't let Posh design uniforms.

David Beckham has yet to announce the new team colors. However, sources say the team uniforms might take its cue from vintage Manchester United kits.
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived