Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

If he hadn't come out he would still have been a fairly high-profile college football player who went into the NFL.

Honestly, I doubt that.

He was defensive player of the year in the most competitive conference, obviously he has some talent.

college success =/= pro talent

Tyler Hansbrough had arguably the greatest collegiate career of anyone at UNC. Doesn't mean anything when you're translating it to the pro game.

Sam is not much of a pro talent, and he never was. It had nothing to do with his sexual orientation. He is very slow and stiff, while physically is a LB/DE tweener. I remember hearing people talk about how he would struggle to make it in the NFL, well before he came out.

Like I said, if he hadn't came out he'd be just another dude/rookie. Honestly though, good for him. Hope he can earn a roster spot.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he hadn't come out he would still have been a fairly high-profile college football player who went into the NFL.

Honestly, I doubt that.

He was defensive player of the year in the most competitive conference, obviously he has some talent.

Tyler Hansbrough had arguably the greatest collegiate career of anyone at UNC. Doesn't mean anything when you're translating it to the pro game.

Sam is not much of a pro talent, and he never was. It had nothing to do with his sexual orientation. He is very slow and stiff, while physically is a LB/DE tweener. I remember hearing people talk about how he would struggle to make it in the NFL, well before he came out.

Like I said, if he hadn't came out he'd be just another dude/rookie. Honestly though, good for him. Hope he can earn a roster spot.

He still would've been drafted 3 rounds higher had he not come out, I don't believe it was some sort of PR stunt like your previous post(s) indicate.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Honestly, I doubt that.

He still would've been drafted 3 rounds higher had he not come out, I don't believe it was some sort of PR stunt like your previous post(s) indicate.

There is no evidence that shows that Michael Sam was drafted later because of him coming out. Some suspect the only reason why the Rams drafted Sam was because of the media attention.

Honestly, I doubt that.

I never said he would be a hugely talented pro. Just that he turned pro. But you can't deny that he was a fairly high-profile college football player.

Honestly, I doubt that.

There is no evidence that shows that Michael Sam was drafted later because of him coming out. Some suspect the only reason why the Rams drafted Sam was because of the media attention.

Aside from the historic tendency of NFL scouts to red flag anything besides "square peg personality type quietly fits in square hole"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You're kidding yourself if you think a standout talent from the top conference wasn't going to make the NFL in any capacity whatsoever. Would he have had to adapt his play and perhaps settle into a special-teams role like lots of high-motor college stars who fall a little short of pro caliber? Yeah, probably. But he wasn't going to be shut out of the league altogether, unless maybe he announced he was sexually attracted to men or something like that. Even Tim Tebow would still be in the league if he didn't insist upon being a bad quarterback.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What he did in college is irrelevant to his potential in the NFL. During the season, well before he came out, analysts were pegging him anywhere from the 3rd to 6th round. He has major flaws as a prospect. He had a great season and career at Mizzou but he just doesn't have the athleticism or size that translates to the NFL.

Tyler Hansbrough broke the scoring record at UNC, soon NCAA & ACC championships, and collected all kinds of All-American and National Player of the Year awards. He is the most decorated player in school history, which includes Hall of Famers Michael Jordan & James Worthy and a barrage of other great players.

But he was still never coveted as an NBA talent. He's undersized and lacks the athleticism needed to really excel. Sure, he still found s niche in the league but he's not a big time talent simply because of his collegiate accomplishments.

Sam didn't fall because he's a homosexual. He was always projected to go in the later rounds. If he was projected as a 1st/2nd Rd guy & fell then you'd have an argument. So what if some analyst said he was a 3rd Rd pick? There are guys every year that are projected to go s certain round & either fall or don't get drafted at all.

Honestly, St. Louis probably only drafted him for the publicity. There's a better chance he was picked simply because he came out rather than he fell in the draft because he came out.

I was with you right up until the last paragraph. Players picked to be drafted "anywhere from the 3rd to the 6th round" don't usually fall out of the draft entirely. Unless GMs have another reason for deciding they don't want him on their team.

Seantrell Henderson was projected as a 1-3 Rd pick & fell to the 7th Rd.

Greg Hardy was projected as the potential #1 overall pick heading into his Jr year & feel to the 6th Rd.

Obviously they fell for entirely different reasons, but it happens.

I think Sam's poor combine did more to sink him then anything else, but I can't dismiss the notion that his sexuality was a factor too. NFL GMs and scouts will pass on a guy for nebulous "attitude problems." So homophobia affecting Sam's place in the Draft? Totally possible.

Michael Sam was going to be drafted regardless. If anything coming out caused GMs to allow him to drop further than he should have because they didn't like the way he came out and seemed like an all about me guy. As I've stated in this thread i dont like the attention he is getting just for coming out of the closet, I feel others deserve it more, but you cant deny him being rightfully drafted into the NFL, in a sport that is deserved being a tweener that needs to get faster or bigger and stronger and develop into a star player like he was in college as a defensive player of the year for the sec.

Sorry to breach the Deadpin/social issues vortex admiral, but here's an example of how the NFL types aren't quite as accepting as you'd hope: http://deadspin.com/tony-dungy-says-he-wouldnt-want-to-deal-with-taking-m-1608350383

"I wouldn't have taken him,'' said former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst for NBC. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it.

"It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.''

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Sorry to breach the Deadpin/social issues vortex admiral, but here's an example of how the NFL types aren't quite as accepting as you'd hope: http://deadspin.com/tony-dungy-says-he-wouldnt-want-to-deal-with-taking-m-1608350383

"I wouldn't have taken him,'' said former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst for NBC. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it.

"It's not going to be totally smooth things will happen.''

Dungy's son, that had drug issues & he had nothing to do with, committed suicide. I guess he knows all about avoiding people that may come with extra baggage.

It was a dumb thing he said, but not entirely false. I don't think Sam fell in the draft because teams don't want a gay player on their team. I think teams passed because they didn't want the media circus that comes with him. It's a major distraction to the team. If it's Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, JJ Watt, etc that came out as gay they'd damn sure still go top 3-4. They are elite prospects worth the headache & media palooza that is sure to follow. But unfortunately in Sam's place he's a fringe player in the league. It's not worth the trouble to teams for a backup or special teams player that is a dime a dozen. Sad, but true.

Honestly, St. Louis probably only drafted him for the publicity. There's a better chance he was picked simply because he came out rather than he fell in the draft because he came out.

Of course they drafted him in part for the publicity. The Rams had late compensatory picks to burn and have bumbled their way into needing goodwill anywhere they can get it. But the other part is that when an obviously talented player plummets that far through the draft for "character issues," you take him. But if he hadn't come out, he absolutely wouldn't have made it to the compensatory end of the last round of the draft, and I think you know that.

Tony Dungy is an idiot, by the way. I won't go as far as calling him a race traitor as some have, but it was certainly a tin-eared remark.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Dungy is a religious hypocrite who is just using the "media circus" excuse to openly broadcast his homophobia & hatred of homosexuals.

Dungy is the same guy who was seriously considering signing Mike Vick after he got out of prison. He was okay with the circus that followed a dog torturing POS, but he just couldn't deal with all the distractions of a gay man.

Be should get roasted by the media just like Sterling, but ESPN loves "good guy" Dungy. Doubt they even bring it up.

Archived