Would You Rather: Sports Uniforms Edition

Soarindude

Creamsicles in a heartbeat!

Here's a classic question for these boards...

Would rather have your team's uniforms discribed by most people as somewhat classic but also boring, or interestingly cutting edge but ugly?

Based on what Nike has been throwing out lately, I will take classic and boring.

spacer.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another interesting Tampa Bay one I thought of that might spark this thread a little more:Do you prefer the Tampa Bay Lightnings old logo?egdfud.gifOr the new one?2utp742.jpg

You choose the wrong old logo. I would've picked their Stanley Cup era logo.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Let me walk through these one by one:

1. Current Bucs unis. I might not like the new uniforms, but the creamsicles are too genteel for a sport like football. The new uniforms are just more aggressive and modern looking and are the lesser of two evils.

2. Let the rest of the league look good. It's best for the league if most of its teams had good uniforms rather than just one, so I'd take one for the team so we can all make more money.

3. Let me have full control over the uniforms. If I do a good enough job maybe others will come to me to design things for them, which would help me start a new career as a designer and make me much more money than 1% of jersey sales.

4. Cutting edge but ugly. I'd rather you say something about my team than nothing, because everything you say about my team draws attention and ultimately money. Boring uniforms don't get talked about and don't get sold.

5. Worst looking sleeveless jersey. Uniforms without sleeves will probably make the players play better, which leads to more wins. Fans may be more apt to accept the look more and buy more merchandise if the team was winning.

6. West Virginia by a landslide. I don't like the alarm clock numbers at all. Plus, the West Virginia numbers aren't that bad.

7. The old logo. Ironically, the old logo looks more modern while the newer one looks more archaic and boring.

Now, here's a new question:

Would you rather have your favorite team adopt uniforms the fans like but the players hate wearing, or uniforms the players like wearing but the fans dislike?

Let me walk through these one by one:

1. Current Bucs unis. I might not like the new uniforms, but the creamsicles are too genteel for a sport like football. The new uniforms are just more aggressive and modern looking and are the lesser of two evils.

2. Let the rest of the league look good. It's best for the league if most of its teams had good uniforms rather than just one, so I'd take one for the team so we can all make more money.

3. Let me have full control over the uniforms. If I do a good enough job maybe others will come to me to design things for them, which would help me start a new career as a designer and make me much more money than 1% of jersey sales.

4. Cutting edge but ugly. I'd rather you say something about my team than nothing, because everything you say about my team draws attention and ultimately money. Boring uniforms don't get talked about and don't get sold.

5. Worst looking sleeveless jersey. Uniforms without sleeves will probably make the players play better, which leads to more wins. Fans may be more apt to accept the look more and buy more merchandise if the team was winning.

6. West Virginia by a landslide. I don't like the alarm clock numbers at all. Plus, the West Virginia numbers aren't that bad.

7. The old logo. Ironically, the old logo looks more modern while the newer one looks more archaic and boring.

Would you rather have your favorite team adopt uniforms the fans like but the players hate wearing, or uniforms the players like wearing but the fans dislike?

I'd choose the uniforms the fans like. Because when you you think about it, it's the jersey sales that help pay a player's contract. It's all about merchandise money....

Uni's the fans like, players don't. The fans will be "with" the team forever. Players come and go.

Tell that to the folks in Miami ;)

Uni's the fans like, players don't. The fans will be "with" the team forever. Players come and go.

Tell that to the folks in Miami ;)

Heat or Marlins? Either way, you're correct.

Would you rather your team use the Buccaneers' new font or West Virginia's?

aeb2he.jpgnew-2013-west-virignia-nike-football-uni

This is a bit of an unfair competition. I think WVU's number shape is worse... maybe the worst ever, but since it's a single layer it looks significantly nicer than Tampa Bay's. The Bucs' font has two things going against it. Bad overall shape made even worse by all the nonsense and fluff of multiple outlines and crossbars and chromey crap.

My effort:

1. Creamsicles. Simple, classic, and bold....without looking dated and cliche the day they were introduced.

2. Let the rest of the league look good. I can deal with my team looking bad, so long as every uni I see doesn't have to be terrible. I hate to cite this as an example, but it's like the white uniforms at home logic; you're always going to see your team in the same colors anyway, but with the white-at-home at least you see a variety of colors from the other team. (I still hate white-at-home but it makes sense here.)

3. Let me have 1%. Having looked back on some of my old concepts, I don't trust my judgement to stand up to the test of time. Also, some money is better than no money.

4. Boring. See creamsicles. It may not be exciting, but dammit I know it looks classy.

5. Best-looking sleeved. Uni-trends change. I watched the Music City Miracle game recently and was amazed at how huge the pads and jerseys were...and when the shrinkwrap style was first coming into vogue I thought it looked terrible. I'd rather look classy and timeless...even if it's on an EDGE template or in a TATC.

6. West Virginia. Not close. Those numbers on the Tampa Bay uniform are inexcusably bad.

7. The old Bolt. Simple and classic IS a good thing, but now it looks like clipart or a corporate letterhead logo.

8. Fans love/players hate. With players picking Oregon for their "super awesome" click-and-fills, with the Dallas Cowboys hating their supposedly cursed blue set (which is I think a slightly updated version of one of my fave uniforms ever, honestly), and with team/seniors/starting pitchers getting to pick gameday uniforms and flushing some good trends away (like white at home and grey on the road in baseball)...players have already shown to me that their aesthetic opinions cannot be trusted. Give me the mistake I already know I can live with.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived