New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Please stop with the =B= logo. It is terrible. It's a bolt on clip art logo.

Also, stop with the white face masks. Gray looks Infinetely better than the white.

The gray facemasks are ugly and distracting whereas white actually goes with the uniform. I do agree about the =B= logo, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, stop with the white face masks. Gray looks Infinetely better than the white.

The gray facemasks are ugly and distracting whereas white actually goes with the uniform. I do agree about the =B= logo, though.

The white mask is better, as it matches the stripe on the helmet and other major parts of the uniform.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I prefer the grey facemask because it gives it an old-fashioned look, and the Browns whole set has a classic feel. If they went super modern (which I hope they don't) then the grey may seem out of place (ala Arizona Cardinals since '05), but with their current set the grey fits well, wheras the white facemask feels too 70's-80's to me.

Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos: 45 Years, no World Series or pennant.

Chicago Bears: 1 NFL championship in the last 50 years.

When will my teams' futility end?

Distracting?

I dont understand how people can't understand why the gray facemask looks better than the white. Someone has previously mentioned it, but the Browns have a classic/retro/vintage/bla bla bla uniform style. They gray facemask reinforces that look. It continues the identity of the classic uniform style. The white facemask looks like a bad grade school uniform.

The white facemask against the orange helmet sticks out like a sore thumb. You look at it and it looks like the facemask is too big for the helmet. It looks like a pop warner helmet with a NFL facemask. Generally speaking, teams with brighter colored helmets look better with a more neutral/dark facemask color. Its called contrast.

Even if you dont understand contrast or know anything about design... all you have to do is LOOK at the GD helmets and go wow, white facemask = CYO football. Gray facemask = gridiron football.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I dont understand how people can't understand why the gray facemask looks better than the white. Someone has previously mentioned it, but the Browns have a classic/retro/vintage/bla bla bla uniform style. They gray facemask reinforces that look. It continues the identity of the classic uniform style. The white facemask looks like a bad grade school uniform.

The white facemask against the orange helmet sticks out like a sore thumb. You look at it and it looks like the facemask is too big for the helmet. It looks like a pop warner helmet with a NFL facemask. Generally speaking, teams with brighter colored helmets look better with a more neutral/dark facemask color. Its called contrast.

Even if you dont understand contrast or know anything about design... all you have to do is LOOK at the GD helmets and go wow, white facemask = CYO football. Gray facemask = gridiron football.

While I could never put it so eloquently, I'm inclined to agree with this post. I think part of the charm of Cleveland is it's traditional ties with football. The classic-ness of the uniforms reinforces this relationship and signifies a connection with their loyal and blue collar fanbase. It's not aesthetically offensive and harkens back to a time when football was football.

Distracting?

Yes, it's distracting, because there is no other grey anywhere else in the uniform. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I get that it's a "classic" look, but "classic" =/= good.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Distracting?

Yes, it's distracting, because there is no other grey anywhere else in the uniform. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I get that it's a "classic" look, but "classic" =/= good.

Wrong.

You are correct in saying that gray is not found anywhere else on the uniform, however, the gray is subtle, non-distracting, non-abrasive. Gray, by its definition, isn't distracting or abrasive.

I agree, there are design reasons why white theoretically is a better choice than gray. However, in practicality, the white is far more distracting, far more shocking than the gray. Uniforms are all about the eye test. The eye test shows white as being distracting while gray just kinda blends in and fades in comparison to the bright orange helmet.

The other aspect that people are not realizing is the Browns' helmet as a whole. The Browns' helmet is the most plain helmet in the league. Even with the Steelers' 1-sided helmet, the Browns' helmet is still more plain. The gray facemask blends in to the background and puts the focus on the orange shell. The white facemask does the exact opposite. The white facemask takes all the attention away from the helmet because it can be seen from the Goodyear Blimp. The focus now becomes the facemask instead of the legendary orange, logoless helmet.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Distracting?

Grey's a subdued colour. I don't see how it "sticks out like a sore thumb."

Distracting?

Gray, by its definition, is bland/subtle/neutral/etc.

Why does every football thread devolve into this argument every single time, especially when you all know how stubborn everyone is on this divisive issue and nothing you could ever say will sway that person's opinion?

My bet is that the facemask will be orange. With the exception of Minnesota, Nike hasn't made the facemasks a different color from the shells for the teams they've changed in the NFL.

Why does every football thread devolve into this argument every single time, especially when you all know how stubborn everyone is on this divisive issue and nothing you could ever say will sway that person's opinion?

My bet is that the facemask will be orange. With the exception of Minnesota, Nike hasn't made the facemasks a different color from the shells for the teams they've changed in the NFL.

I believe the Vikings have a black facemask.

That's why I said "with the exception of Minnesota"

An orange facemask for them would look awful, I'd live with brown or grey and want a white facemask

An orange facemask for them would look awful, I'd live with brown or grey and want a white facemask

I'd at least have to see a mockup before making a final call, but I agree, it sounds terrible. I'm with you though, I've always loved white facemasks.

Distracting?

Gray, by its definition, is bland/subtle/neutral/etc.

Both of these statements are absolutely correct. By both the physics of the visible spectrum and the mechanics of how the human eye works, it simply isn't possible for gray to "stick out like a sore thumb". You may be able to talk yourself into believing it does based on some internal, self-imposed rules of what color a facemask is "supposed" to be, but the reality is by the very nature of what gray is, it does not stand out. It can't.

If you want to object to it based on the idea that the facemask should be a color that is represented elsewhere in the color scheme, I think you can legitimately feel that way. I would still disagree, but I can see the argument. But if you do make that argument against gray masks, I would expect you to make the exact same objection to Cleveland wearing black cleats. After all, black isn't part of their color scheme, either.

I used to believe that a facemask shouldn't be grey if grey or silver is absent from the rest of the uniform, but I've come around on that. The Browns were a big reason why. I "noticed" the facemask when it was white. It's just subdued and not really jumping out at you when it's grey.

Archived