New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I've seen (probably even on these boards) that the NFL made a rule saying jerseys can't be Brown due to camouflage issues with the ball. The Browns were grandfathered in and as such would be the last brown team in the league.

Which explains the broncos 50th afl anniversary brown jerseys.

An orange jersey replacing the browns jersey for the BROWNS? Doesn't make much sense, especially since the brown shirt is extremely popular around the City. I think much of this rumor is going to turn out false.

That being said, I don't think that means EVERYTHING in the rumor post is fake. I think we can be sure that there will be a custom number font. That's just what Nike does now. They custom fonts have literally had a tremendous impact in marketing. I have a very strong feeling gray will become for visible within the uniforms. I also think the candy orange will come to fruition. Just thinking about the quotes from Haslem and Scheiner, as well as the Browns insider Tony Grossi, they all seemed to say the same thing abut the uniforms linking to the past and not being drastic changes. Then I think about the Pro Bowl uniforms from this passed year. Candy orange and gray. Seems like an all too perfect test run - I have noticed Nike tends to sample things subtly, gauge the reaction, before pushing it in to the market.

Predictions:

• 3 Jerseys - White, Brown and Gray (the gray could end up being orange, depending on what they do with the pants)
  • 3 Pants - White, Brown and Orange (again, the orange could end up being gray, depending on what they do with the jerseys)
  • Custom Number Font - Much like the rumor, it will have some convoluted inspiration that doesn't really make sense like "This font embraces Cleveland's blue collar mentality and infuses its Rock N Roll culture, bla bla bla"
  • Gray - Gray will be making a bigger impression in the uniform. Nike has a trend of adding a 3rd or 4th color to all their rebrands. I am leaning towards this gray being some sort of metallic or chrome, a la the Pro Bowl uniforms.
  • Matte Helmet with a small variation to the current helmet
  • Facemask will change - Gray will no longer be reserved for the facemask, as gray will be featured in the uniform now.
  • Some sort of slogan/cute phrase on the inside collar like "DEFEND THE POUND" or something

Hopes (in addition to my Predictions):

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Are the Browns even allowed to have a brown uniform anymore? My understanding is that when the league outlawed Brown as a primary color, the Browns were grandfathered in for the sake of tradition. If the Browns are throwing tradition to the wind, would they still be exempt from the by law?

:blink:

I know I've seen (probably even on these boards) that the NFL made a rule saying jerseys can't be Brown due to camouflage issues with the ball. The Browns were grandfathered in and as such would be the last brown team in the league.

Which explains the broncos 50th afl anniversary brown jerseys.

I'm seeing Browns fans claim the same in their boards.

Also our uniforms for our 50th were yellow, not brown.

OldSchoolVikings wrote: "Its funny you mentioned the Bears. When I was a little kid, from the few times I'd seen the Bears on TV I thought their colors were black and red. One day in Jr High a kid I knew wore a Bears stocking cap to school, and it was navy and orange. I thought the hat was wrong. Took me a long time to get that out of my head."

I too was surprised to learn as a kid that the Bears colors weren't black and red. TV picture quality left something to be desired in the 60's and 70's, and there was a lot less merchandising back then. I thought the Denver Broncos wore red for years until the "Orange Crush" team of 1977.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

http://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/22fd2n/does_anyone_really_want_new_uniforms/cgmdcyc

Also a Browns fan just helped me out here:

"Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3, Subsection G of the NFL rulebook prohibits 'items colored like football'. I don't know when it was added."

Well the shade of brown that the Browns use is different than the shade a typical football would use, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

And you had the redskins leather helmet that was the same as a football that they were planning on wear this past year until the one helmet rule.

I too was surprised to learn as a kid that the Bears colors weren't black and red. TV picture quality left something to be desired in the 60's and 70's, and there was a lot less merchandising back then. I thought the Denver Broncos wore red for years until the "Orange Crush" team of 1977.

Same here. I couldn't figure out why they called them the "Orange Crush" when they wore red uniforms.

In our defense, they wore a very, very red/reddish orange in the early 70s.

DenverBroncos_FRC_1976_SCC_SRGB.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It doesn't look like Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3, Subsection G is being that heavily enforced considering that Washington's throwback helmets were outlawed last year by the one helmet rule.

Granted, I don't trust the source (Reddit), but I don't like the idea of dropping white pants in favor of gray. The Browns have had a history of wearing white; they've got to wear white from the neck down every now and again. Nor do I like the idea of sublimated stripes, though I've toyed with the idea of giving the Ohio State uber-wide rivalry uniform treatment for the Browns.*

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a matte-ish finish on the helmets as it makes the colors pop IMO. Also, I wouldn't mind an orange alternate returning, nor do I mind the idea of toying with a little gray here and there.

*Despite the fact that this means a pro team is following in a college team's footsteps, but this is the Cleveland Browns, v2.0 we're talking about.

Just to humor the notion of brown uniforms being banned by the NFL...

Now I am completely ignorant on this subject, so I'm hoping someone could clarify. So say the Browns were wearing the brown jersey when the rule was developed, and thus grandfathered in to continue wearing the brown jersey. Why would a rebranding/uniform overhaul preclude them continuing to wear a brown jersey? Does the uniform overhaul negate the grandfathering?

I remember when Al Learner died, the AL monogram was added to the sleeves on both the white and brown jersey, but once Haslem became majority owner, he removed the monogram from both jerseys... technically a jersey modification. Why didn't this negate the grandfathering?

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Now I am completely ignorant on this subject, so I'm hoping someone could clarify. So say the Browns were wearing the brown jersey when the rule was developed, and thus grandfathered in to continue wearing the brown jersey. Why would a rebranding/uniform overhaul preclude them continuing to wear a brown jersey? Does the uniform overhaul negate the grandfathering?

I remember when Al Learner died, the AL monogram was added to the sleeves on both the white and brown jersey, but once Haslem became majority owner, he removed the monogram from both jerseys... technically a jersey modification. Why didn't this negate the grandfathering?

Or the addition of brown pants, for that matter? The pants are all-brown, with nothing to break up the color (and also ugly, but that's another matter).

The answer is pretty simple. The "rule" is non-sense. Doesn't exist.

Or the addition of brown pants, for that matter? The pants are all-brown, with nothing to break up the color (and also ugly, but that's another matter).

The brown pants wouldn't have been terrible, but they matched the browns pants with solid brown socks. It looked like they were wearing tights. Had they worn the white socks with the 5 or 6 orange and brown stripes, it would have been a different story (http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2010/08/browns0817x-large.jpg).

Anyway, the brown pants was a tremendous point. The "rule" stipulates that the brown jersey will have to be broken up by contrasting colors, stripes, or patterns. The pants have nothing. Does it have something to do with the ball being in closer proximity to the jersey as opposed to the pants?

The only thing I can think of is how dark the shade of brown is. I believe in the 80s, the shade of brown that Cleveland used was much lighter and blended more with the ball. Could this be proof of the existence of the rule? Could this be the reason why the current shade of Brown is so dark?

All of their Super Bowl titles should be erased from the record books!

Wouldn't be the only erasing going down around here!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/22fd2n/does_anyone_really_want_new_uniforms/cgmdcyc

Also a Browns fan just helped me out here:

"Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3, Subsection G of the NFL rulebook prohibits 'items colored like football'. I don't know when it was added."

"Sorry Adrian, according to Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3, you can't touch the ball anymore."

1382036093000-USP-NFL-Carolina-Panthers-

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I say again, the shade of the brown Cleveland used was lighter in the 80s and 90. When they came back, the brown is a much darker version, a much deeper brown. Could this be the compromise between the organization and the NFL concerning the shade of brown?

I kind of find that rule a bit... much. If EVERY team in the MLB can wear a white uniform, especially pitchers, I don't see how a brown jersey is so much different.

Pitchers can't wear white sleeves or wear white gloves.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived