The Creamers & The Concepts Hall of Fame

drdougfresh

This is a fantastic thread and I agree, I would love to see it pinned. In my mind there is no better achievement than to be recognized by ones peers. To those enshrined: congratulations as all are very deserving, incredibly designers.

As to the couple of replies suggesting my thread (Professional Dodgeball Coalition) be nominated, I first would like to humbly thank you for your kindness and state that I personally don't rank myself among these greats. Secondly, I would suggest to the powers-that-be that a thread such as mind not be considered under the precedence that it is not finished. I'm not gonna suggest a 5 year waiting period like the NFL and such but I think a thread can only viewed and judged for such an accolade in its full form.

This is not a pander for my thread now, or in the future. Just a suggestion and appreciation of a great idea.

A hall of fame, eh? Sounds like a good idea....seconding eriq_jaffe, Roger Clemente and AAO. Hell, I'd recommend voting ColorWerx in. Granted, he doesn't have a huge project thread. Hell, his Nets alt concept this past summer is one of the few I recall him ever posting. All that said, though, this won't be complete without the Most Colorful Man in the Logoverse. I mean, who the hell else can you turn to when you wanna figure out the difference between the "Texas Tan" of the Durham Bulls and the Texas Longhorns' Burnt orange? There's gotta be a "contributor" wing or something, you know?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

My only thing is that it seems series' are getting preferenced over single concepts. I'm in no way taking away from those chosen because they are definitely some of the most deserving. But there are guys, like Buc and BrandMooreArt who put out awesome pieces of work, just not always in a series. I just hope they don't get overlooked.

• Like 3

I had a busy week and hadn't stopped in to concepts here for a few days, but now that I'm here, what a pleasant surprise to see this and to have my name included! I thank you guys for not only including me among such great pros on that list, but for also taking the time to put this all together.

I never took a design class in my life, so for me, my "schooling" came mostly from being a member here. All the insight/feedback the members here have to offer is a resource of its own. There are plenty of people whose names are not included in this list who have been great sources of inspiration for me.

PS: I'm liking the Creamers maple leaf/pencil design as well. The creativity around here is second-to-none.

If a mod could pin this, that'd be awesome :)

Seconded.

The fact that a thread hasn't been pinned since 2010 is a bit concerning... I've reached out to several mods and haven't heard back. It'd be nice if we had a mod for (or at least a current mod that watched) the concepts section...

I actually asked/applied to be a mod three years ago but never got any kind of response other than it would be considered. I figured since I'm still a regular here after all these years that I could do some good. Maybe it's still "under consideration", who knows...

98Falcons.png

Seconded.

The fact that a thread hasn't been pinned since 2010 is a bit concerning... I've reached out to several mods and haven't heard back. It'd be nice if we had a mod for (or at least a current mod that watched) the concepts section...

Whether the mods agree or disagree with this effort... this effort should at least be acknowledged.

I think we all agree that the concepts forum needs some changes.

The multitude of templates available, have made the forum better, but unfortunately worse at the same time.

It's much too easy to just re-colour a uniform or logo and throw it up...

And all new topics should have at least one piece of artwork completed before being allowed to start.

Good work flies off the first page much too quickly these days.

I hear some concerns from the old guard that there are no inaugural inductee threads before '07.

There, of course, should be.

However this situation is quite understandable, when you realize that the members putting the effort into this topic have only been around since '08 at the earliest.

Perhaps if the old guard wants some old guard content, they should get involved and offer up some suggestions.

I also second GotPixels' suggestion that the concepts section needs some sub-sections.

The mods need to pin this thread, or acknowledge it, or send down a bolt of lightning or something, to let us know that suggestions and efforts to improve the Concepts Forum are, at least being heard.

Seconded.

Whether the mods agree or disagree with this effort... this effort should at least be acknowledged.

I think we all agree that the concepts forum needs some changes.

The multitude of templates available, have made the forum better, but unfortunately worse at the same time.

It's much too easy to just re-colour a uniform or logo and throw it up...

And all new topics should have at least one piece of artwork completed before being allowed to start.

Good work flies off the first page much too quickly these days.

I hear some concerns from the old guard that there are no inaugural inductee threads before '07.

There, of course, should be.

However this situation is quite understandable, when you realize that the members putting the effort into this topic have only been around since '08 at the earliest.

Perhaps if the old guard wants some old guard content, they should get involved and offer up some suggestions.

I also second GotPixels' suggestion that the concepts section needs some sub-sections.

The mods need to pin this thread, or acknowledge it, or send down a bolt of lightning or something, to let us know that suggestions and efforts to improve the Concepts Forum are, at least being heard.

I agree with this & would also love to see sub sections as I think it could help with the forum.

If Robbman has the time I think he would be an excellent choice for a mod if others do not have the time.

I would be willing to do the same if he can't. I do not spend as much time making concepts anymore but still like to admire those who do & check in frequently.

• Like 1

One thought I had might be to find some way to honour those who provide valuable and useful feedback. I feel another problem with the concept forums as they are now is there is a lack of constructive criticism. Some sort of award in the vein of the "Builder's category" for people who may not create concepts of their own but still provide excellent advice might be cool.

Guest darkpiranha

Agreed about the sub-forums. The ones above, but I'd also suggest something like "Newbies" where they can take their hesitant first steps and know they will (hopefully) get encouragement and advice and not be subjected to the same level of criticism (and sometimes scorn) that often happens when someone new posts something that is more than a little rough around the edges. On the opposite end, maybe a "Big Boy Pants" forum for those here that are really serious about design and invite high-level, nitpicky, technical criticism from other equally-skilled designers (don't comment if it's only to say "neat", or "what program do you guys use to make these?")

One thought I had might be to find some way to honour those who provide valuable and useful feedback. I feel another problem with the concept forums as they are now is there is a lack of constructive criticism. Some sort of award in the vein of the "Builder's category" for people who may not create concepts of their own but still provide excellent advice might be cool.

Most Helpful C&C Giver will be one of the yearly awards, so we're definitely taking that into account. C&C is one of the most important aspects of the concepts forum so we definitely want to reward those who take their time to give a well thought out opinion.

On another note. I just finished my 4 hour long journey through last years concepts yesterday and I wanted to mention that I was really impressed. For the amount that everybody seems to bash the direction the concepts forum has taken, there was still a lot of incredible work done last year.

I think the main problem right now is that good work isn't being recognized because:

a ) There is an overwhelming amount of sloppy concepts that push good concepts off the first page, and

b ) A majority of the older users seem to have given up on the forum entirely

Anyway, I'm really excited to see all of that change in the near future. Preparing for these awards has already revived my interest in the forum. Hopefully once the winners are announced the same will happen for the rest of the community. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done mods.

I really think that a venture such as this will emphasize the "quality over quantity" factor.

Some good ol' competition elevates performance.

This will be good for the Concepts forums.

Congrats to the mods and to the ones who put this all together.

Thanks.