2014 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So these NHL hate maps came out, it seems all of Canada is decisive, except you Alberta.

E1sSlZH.png

And what did we ever do to you Wyoming?

Interesting pull as well, the Jets are apparently the most hated team in Africa, and the Bruins virtually everywhere else.

I'm shocked it's not the Leafs. Or am I wrong for equating hate with schadenfreude?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

So these NHL hate maps came out, it seems all of Canada is decisive, except you Alberta.

E1sSlZH.png

And what did we ever do to you Wyoming?

Interesting pull as well, the Jets are apparently the most hated team in Africa, and the Bruins virtually everywhere else.

I'm shocked it's not the Leafs. Or am I wrong for equating hate with schadenfreude?

You can't hate a team that collapses every year, tbh

I thought most of Canada (except Ontario and Quebec) had a thing against Vancouver, as did most of American NHL fans during their peak of hatred. And British Columbia hating on Boston? If anything, the Canucks were lucky as hell to even get to Game 7 the way they played throughout the Final. Chicago should have superplanted the Bruins as the most hated NHL team in BC in my book.

KIQI4sf.gif

Some observations from the American map:

-If this were 2008/2009, you bet your ass the Kings would be replaced by the Sharks as the hated team in the west coast.

-Are the Stars and Ducks that much of a deal to warrant Anaheim hatred throughout the Texas/Oklahoma panhandle? I doubt one six-game series for last year can produce a three-state ransom for some Ducks. For historical purposes, the Avalanche and Red Wings have more validation for Stars hate than Anaheim does.

-I'm surprised some states (Wyoming, Alabama) have enough knowledge to divest their hatred away from the traditionally-hated NHL teams (Red Wings, Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, etc.).

-What did the Flyers do to West Virginia to break the Penguins hatred stranglehold in the mid-Northeast?

Is there that much hatred for the ducks in Texas? I get they have been a rival for years but I would have pinned the Wings as the more hated team, maybe even Colorado or Chicago since they have have a history with each other. Do people in Amarillo, Odessa, or Galveston Island even acknowledge the Stars existence? I figure the Stars is more of a Dallas/Fort Worth and surrounding counties thing. Be curious what native Texans who follow the Stars think.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

While Blackhawks fans hate the Red Wings (and that dumb "Dee-troit Sux" chant still rings out at the UC), the hate also includes a shade of envy and admiration, because they've been so good for so long.

The Blues play dumb, dirty hockey and haven't won anything, ever. They're an overflowing dumpster behind the Purina building. Despite this, many of their fans still act like they can wave their dicks around, as if hockey season is merely an extension of baseball season, and that some sort of transitive property allows them to apply the Cards' victories to another team in town. Screw them.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I hear Levi Stadium will host a Stadium Series game With the Sharks hosting the Kings. Love a Stadiums series game in North Cali, hate it in Levi Stadium, wanted to see one at AT&T stadium with the Ocean in background.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Blues play dumb, dirty hockey and haven't won anything, ever. They're an overflowing dumpster behind the Purina building. Despite this, many of their fans still act like they can wave their dicks around, as if hockey season is merely an extension of baseball season, and that some sort of transitive property allows them to apply the Cards' victories to another team in town. Screw them.

Yeah, St. Louis sucks. The Blues suck. The Arch sucks. The pizza sucks. T.S. Eliot sucks. How can literary criticism be objective or empirical? What a f-cking assh-le!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hear Levi Stadium will host a Stadium Series game With the Sharks hosting the Kings. Love a Stadiums series game in North Cali, hate it in Levi Stadium, wanted to see one at AT&T stadium with the Ocean in background.

Only one actual reason why the NHL picked Levi's over AT&T:

tumblr_lqxqcn9DWP1qmg4zfo1_500.gif

Only one actual reason why the NHL picked Levi's over AT&T:

tumblr_lqxqcn9DWP1qmg4zfo1_500.gif

I don't know why, but I hate seeing rinks in baseball stadiums

On the flipside to what I posted earlier, here's the tendency per region to cheer for their local NHL team. (1800 sample size)

Ne9eZmw.png

Pretty predictable, I guess the states/provinces without a team are a major carrier of bandwagon fans.

Also, If it wasn't done by provinces/states, I'm sure eastern Ontario and southwest Quebec would be almost beet red.

Guessing the Maritimes are heavy on fans of Boston (those who feel tied to New England) and Toronto (those who feel tied to English Canada). Used to be lots of Nordiques fans out there due to proximity and farm teams in Halifax/Fredericton.

-Are the Stars and Ducks that much of a deal to warrant Anaheim hatred throughout the Texas/Oklahoma panhandle? I doubt one six-game series for last year can produce a three-state ransom for some Ducks. For historical purposes, the Avalanche and Red Wings have more validation for Stars hate than Anaheim does.

Don't forget 2003 and 2008.

I would like the Blackhawks to abandon the routine because it's retrograde and silly, but let's pump the brakes on the rhetoric of "banning" the song, okay? We're not up against a GG Allin song here. "The Stripper" is probably in Bugs Bunny cartoons where Bugs Bunny dressed up as a girl bunny. It's not a weapon of hate and oppression. I'm tired of everyone wanting to ban everything. Ugh, social justice, am I right? Our liberals have become so conservative. Make those girls put pants on!

But hey, way to get picked up, Sodboy!

But...but...they brought back hockey, so they can't do anything wrong, right?

Also interesting to note that many Sharks fans had a similar discussion regarding ice girls now that Tortora and company want to introduce them this season at The Tank. I don't know exactly where I should fall on this whole thing, if having scantily clad women in any shape or form is sexist in sports and I doubt any further discussion will really clear that up. Just be prepared however to see this issue pop up much more in the hockey world as the season progresses.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I mean, of course it's sexist, but let's also not pretend that the Blackhawks -- and surely other NHL teams as well -- don't market the handsomeness of their players. No, Patrick Sharp isn't out there shoveling ice shavings with his shirt off, but the marketing department does not miss a beat when it comes to reminding women (and gay guys) that Patrick Sharp is nice to look at. Then they get indignant when he steps out and bangs the weather girl. Oh well.

Bottom line: sporting events are meant to be full-scale bombardments of the senses.

Okay cool.

Of course, "Chelsea Dagger" is about a prostitute. I don't know whether we should ban it for objectifying women or celebrate it for being sex-positive.

Archived