2014 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

Montreal is being really stupid for dicking around with Subban like they are. Even if the Canadiens accept the arbitration number, I wouldn't sign long term there if I was Subban. Yes, they are the historic Montreal Canadiens, and yes, they had a great run last year, but the way they've treated him when it comes to contract negotiations is ridiculous.

The best (or in this case, most fun) thing that could happen is the Habs turn down the arbitration money, he goes UFA, and he signs with the Maple Leafs. That probably couldn't happen this season as the Leafs only have $370K in cap space right now but, if PK does the one more year in Montreal, Toronto has space in 2015. And wouldn't that be juicy.

---

Also, to no surprise, the Ducks announced that they will retire Teemu Selanne's No. 8 on January 11 prior to the game against Winnipeg.

I thought Niedermayer's number was retired in ANA already, but I guess it was retired recently in NJ.

Banner will probably be in Ducks black? Or Mighty Ducks colours?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, to no surprise, the Ducks announced that they will retire Teemu Selanne's No. 8 on January 11 prior to the game against Winnipeg.

I thought Niedermayer's number was retired in ANA already, but I guess it was retired recently in NJ.

Nope, Teemu is the first. It's assumed that they will retire Niedermayer's No. 27 in Anaheim too and probably Giguere's No. 35, but the team has always been very explicit in saying that Teemu's was always going to be first. And rightfully so.

It'll almost assuredly be black/gold/orange. It'd be nice if there was some nod to the Mighty Ducks on it, but I doubt it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Nope, Teemu is the first. It's assumed that they will retire Niedermayer's No. 27 in Anaheim too and probably Giguere's No. 35, but the team has always been very explicit in saying that Teemu's was always going to be first. And rightfully so.

It'll almost assuredly be black/gold/orange. It'd be nice if there was some nod to the Mighty Ducks on it, but I doubt it.

That's the one thing I'm not so sure about is if the Ducks go and retire players from the Mighty Ducks era.

Teemu and Giguere are fine to be retired im current Ducks colours but if they go retire Kariya's number (IMO they should) or Hebert's or Stanislav Chistov's or a Salei memorial thing, it has to be in Mighty Ducks colours because they never were part of the Ducks.

I'm pretty sure Giguere's going to be next because Gibson has worn 35 everywhere until he got to the Ducks organization.

IbjBaeE.png

As much as I loved Hebert and think it'd be cool to have his number retired (he was going to be the first inductee on a Wall of Fame the Ducks had planned before Burke nixed it, because "no more Disney crap"), he wouldn't have his number retired now. Others have worn No. 31 since, including Andersen currently. Chistov (really? Chistov?) is a no way. Hell, even Salei's memorial patch was black/gold in the current font. (Which was dumb. This fan made patch was perfect.) Rucchin would have been a maybe.

Kariya is the one "Mighty-only" guy that could even be considered for number retirement at this point, and apparently, he wouldn't even really want it. The Ducks supposedly asked him to be involved in some of the 20th anniversary stuff last year, and he declined. Teemu had to try and convince him to show up to the final game vs Colorado, and all that was was him sitting in a luxury box with Teemu's family (and Jiggy's family, and Salei's family, and Joe Sakic.) The bridge was burned, and the fans kept it smoldering for a while afterwards, booing him for so long. Even with the distance made between then, the hindsight perspective of now, and the Cup in between it, I don't think we'll ever get to a point where the fans or Kariya will be accepting enough of it.

As it stands now, it's Selanne with Giguere and Niedermayer waiting in line. After that, we wait. Depending on how the next eight years go, Getzlaf and Perry would presumably be the next ones, but again, that would be a while from now.

Didn't he score a big goal in the 03 playoffs? Maybe not, but I definitely remember him on that squad.

I believe he had a big goal (in game 2 or 3) in the opening round sweep of the Wingsin '03.

He only scored 4 goals in the 2003 playoffs (none in the Finals... sigh...), but yeah, he scored the eventual game-winner in Game 3 against Detroit.

Montreal is being really stupid for dicking around with Subban like they are. Even if the Canadiens accept the arbitration number, I wouldn't sign long term there if I was Subban. Yes, they are the historic Montreal Canadiens, and yes, they had a great run last year, but the way they've treated him when it comes to contract negotiations is ridiculous.

Agreed. The way they handled everything about it is a complete mess! MB will have some new ennemies if this affects Subban's performance or his future.

Not 100% sure Subban is worth this much!

EDIT: come to think of it, this looks like the Habs getting burned like toast for insisting on a short-term contract two years ago.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Stanislav Chistov is one of those guys on NHL 2004 who ends up becoming a superstar, while Jason Spezza turns out to be waiver wire fodder.

Just in case you wondered if video games had any real life predictability.

That's funny because when I was playing EHM around 2003 or so, Spezza was superstar material while Chistov got bounced around team from team. I did have a playthrough where Chistov did have a superstar run, though it might had something to do with the roster pack I downloaded who had his POT ratings way to high.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived