2014 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

This will probably be like the last year of Kirk Maltby where he spent a day in Grand Rapids, decided "nah this ain't for me," and retired. Or he'll play all year and impede the progress of a prospect. I like that scenario better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will probably be like the last year of Kirk Maltby where he spent a day in Grand Rapids, decided "nah this ain't for me," and retired. Or he'll play all year and impede the progress of a prospect. I like that scenario better.

I believe it's a one way contract, can he be sent down?

How the hell do you give him 2.5 million dollars though? He had 8 points in 52 games last year and now he's making more than Brad Richards.

And Dany Heatley

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

It's 1.5 with an extra million in bonuses, which is still too much for a guy who isn't very good anymore, but the Red Wings have always been as loyal to their fourth-liners as they are to their stars. McCarty, Draper, and Maltby all stuck around past their expiration dates, too.

It's 1.5 with an extra million in bonuses, which is still too much for a guy who isn't very good anymore, but the Red Wings have always been as loyal to their fourth-liners as they are to their stars. McCarty, Draper, and Maltby all stuck around past their expiration dates, too.

The $1 million bonus is a "games played" incentive.

It gets paid in full if Cleary plays in 10 games.

10 games.

TEN.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In other low-level veteran news, the Coyotes brought back David Moss for a year at $800,000. I'm sure he'll block whichever son of someone-or-other is a prospect for them.

In other low-level veteran news, the Coyotes brought back David Moss for a year at $800,000. I'm sure he'll block whichever son of someone-or-other is a prospect for them.

Just this off-season, the Sabres gave Cody McCormick 3 years, $1.5M per. I know you need to spend money somewhere, but jeez. There have to be a couple of guys in Rochester who could actually do something with that roster spot.

The $1 million bonus is a "games played" incentive.

It gets paid in full if Cleary plays in 10 games.

10 games.

TEN.

Wow the Red Wings have way too much money.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not the NHL but still hockey related.

Why are the Adirondack Flames in the North Division and not with the Albany Devils in the Northeast? Does the AHL know that Albany and Glens Falls, where the Flames play, are an hour's drive from each other, AND in the same media market? The Flames should be moved to the Northeast and Syracuse to the North.

The AHL's leadership has not exactly been heralded for its geographic knowledge. Besides, the divisions mean absolutely nothing aside from the winner getting a playoff spot.

Also :censored: Vancouver and Utica forever.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Dan Cleary with the Red Wings truly is Groundhog Day come to life for Detroit fans.

No one wants to play there anymore without pre-salary-cap overbids nor automatic title contention. The Red Wings will soon just be Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Quincey playing in a Livonia rec league.

And yet, they'll still be able to game the NHL postseason format and sneak into playing games in late-April.

OTGDDRW.

Here's the AHL with Tomorrow's Rule Changes Today:

http://theahl.com/ahl-rules-changes-p192792

Ejection for two fighting majors is an idea whose time has come. The only unintended consequence I can see is Player C trying to goad Player A into a second fight after Player A fought Player B, but then no one's making anyone fight. There's no reason for fighting twice in one game. If something happens where you need to go after someone for taking liberties, okay, I get it. Twice in one night? Maybe you're the problem.

Not sure about the bifurcated helmet rule where you can either bail off the ice or bend over to put it back on. If you bend over to put it back on, you could be endangering yourself just as much as skating around without a lid on. If being helmetless is so dangerous (it is), then the only option should be to hightail it. That or you could just stop the clock and not make it a punishable offense to get your helmet knocked off.

Overtime! Changing ends! Yay! Making it longer! Yay! Going to three-on-three at a floating point after four-on-four? BOOOOOO

This from Ken Campbell on the fighting rule:

The intention of the rule is clear. The AHL is trying to basically get the message-sending baloney out of its game. You see, the AHL plays a lot of back-to-back games to save on travel costs, so there are often times when this kind of ridiculousness breaks out near the end of the first game. If a player has already been involved in a fight, he’ll be far less likely to get into another one once the game is out of hand. And who knows? It might deter a player from getting into a fight in the first period, knowing he might have to “save” his fight for later.

And the league has a mechanism to prevent players from goading another into a fight to try to get him kicked out of the game. If a player is involved in a fight in which the other player is identified as the instigator, that fight will not count against the player’s fight total for that game. That, of course, will make referees responsible for handing out that penalty when it’s warranted.

Say what you will about the AHL's slapdash alignments, but they might not be as stupid as their big brother.

Here's the AHL with Tomorrow's Rule Changes Today:

http://theahl.com/ahl-rules-changes-p192792

Ejection for two fighting majors is an idea whose time has come. The only unintended consequence I can see is Player C trying to goad Player A into a second fight after Player A fought Player B, but then no one's making anyone fight. There's no reason for fighting twice in one game. If something happens where you need to go after someone for taking liberties, okay, I get it. Twice in one night? Maybe you're the problem.

Not sure about the bifurcated helmet rule where you can either bail off the ice or bend over to put it back on. If you bend over to put it back on, you could be endangering yourself just as much as skating around without a lid on. If being helmetless is so dangerous (it is), then the only option should be to hightail it. That or you could just stop the clock and not make it a punishable offense to get your helmet knocked off.

Overtime! Changing ends! Yay! Making it longer! Yay! Going to three-on-three at a floating point after four-on-four? BOOOOOO

The CHL has that helmet rule and I'd say 8 times out of 10 the player just skates to the bench if the play isn't still in the direct area.

Bending over and picking up your helmet is a lot safer than playin with no helmet though.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived