2014 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

Kane didn't "get hot." He simply performed at a high level throughout the playoffs while his teammates didn't (Crawford had a lousy Final, Toews went AWOL for the first two rounds).

Is this just foreplay for "Kane's not as good as Phil Kessel"? Let's cut to the chase if it is.

Actually, I'd put both in the same boat as players. One just happens to score goals in bunches, and the other scores goals when they're needed the most.

But I'd also go as far to say that kane is the 4th best player on the Hawks. (JT, Seabrook and Crawford are better)

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the NHL but still hockey related.

Why are the Adirondack Flames in the North Division and not with the Albany Devils in the Northeast? Does the AHL know that Albany and Glens Falls, where the Flames play, are an hour's drive from each other, AND in the same media market? The Flames should be moved to the Northeast and Syracuse to the North.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Kane didn't "get hot." He simply performed at a high level throughout the playoffs while his teammates didn't (Crawford had a lousy Final, Toews went AWOL for the first two rounds).

Is this just foreplay for "Kane's not as good as Phil Kessel"? Let's cut to the chase if it is.

Actually, I'd put both in the same boat as players. One just happens to score goals in bunches, and the other scores goals when they're needed the most.

But I'd also go as far to say that kane is the 4th best player on the Hawks. (JT, Seabrook and Crawford are better)

I'm not sure which is more disconcerting here - saying Corey Crawford is better at what he does than Patrick Kane is at what he does, or rating Brent Seabrook above Duncan Keith on Chicago's pecking order on D. I mean, make no mistake, Seabrook is a top-pairing D on any team in the NHL, but Duncan Keith is a Norris candidate blueliner. There's no doubt he's better.

In any case, you are really selling Patrick Kane short here.

spacer.png

You don't have to keep digging.
Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Why are the Adirondack Flames in the North Division and not with the Albany Devils in the Northeast? Does the AHL know that Albany and Glens Falls, where the Flames play, are an hour's drive from each other, AND in the same media market? The Flames should be moved to the Northeast and Syracuse to the North.

The fact Binghamton, Utica, and Syracuse are in 3 separate divisions is the most AHL thing to ever AHL

besides my proposed 30 team Upstate NY AHL realignment, of course.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Heatley was a big part of the Sharks teams that went to the third round. He was a non-entity in Minnesota, where he was either hurt, bad, or slow. But when it comes to being hurt, he was nothing compared to the guy the Sharks traded him for. Dumb move.Is Anaheim the most attractive free agent destination in the league? There's an established core to work with, the media pressure is minimal, the weather is nice, and the proximity to Mexico probably affords a higher quality of cocaine than you can get in other cities. I suppose you could say the same for Los Angeles, but it might be a little harder to fly under the radar with the Kings than with the Ducks.

It is a preferred destination for players such as Heatly and Kessler who want pats on the back for continually coming up short. "Anaheim Ducks: Where guys go to end their careers sadly."

The fact Binghamton, Utica, and Syracuse are in 3 separate divisions is the most AHL thing to ever AHL

If the Mountain and Pacific time zone NHL teams do break away, have their own AHL-level league out west, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Utica, Binghamton, and Adirondack will be their own division, but not until then.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Dan Cleary with the Red Wings truly is Groundhog Day come to life for Detroit fans.

No one wants to play there anymore without pre-salary-cap overbids nor automatic title contention. The Red Wings will soon just be Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Quincey playing in a Livonia rec league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I find it amusing how those Flames are a Western team, despite, longitude-wise, them being more eastward than every team in the East Division of the East Conference.

Apparently, Sens fans have been finding reasons to be optimistic about next season, after all, we might not have the best team in the conference but we have some good young players and a few very skilled veterans, the team could look something like this for next season.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan

Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson

Hoffman - Legwand - Stone

Greening - Smith - Condra

Neil

Karlsson - Methot

Ceci - Cowen

Phillips - Gryba

Borowiecki - Weircioch

Anderson

Lehner

I mean, to actually be competitive we would have to get one more proven defensive d-man other than Methot, and probably experiment with that 4th line and see about playing Lazar for 9 games next season in the position taken up by greening. Of course, losing our entire first line didn't help either. It'll probably be another season where the backup goalie, whoever that may turn out to be, plays 35+ games again.

Overall, I don't think we're as screwed as some people say we are for next season, we may just head through the season as a bubble team. But we'll really need the young guns to step up, and to have great years from MacArthur and Ryan alike. I would definitely place my trust in Turris as a #1 C.

I'd rather see Stone on the 2nd line and Chiasson on the 3rd. Stone has a bit more scoring upside and his skating hasn't impressed me enough to put him in a bottom-6 role. Ideally, Greening will be able to handle 3rd line duties. If anything, it'll prevent his trade stock from completely plummeting. I really like Hoffman and hope he has a good showing in camp. I wouldn't be surprised if Phillips is a healthy scratch for a few games this season. A pairing with him and Gryba would be scary slow. In order for this team to have any chance of success this season they're really going to need to count on players like Zibanejad, Stone, Cowen, Weircioch, and Lehner to take big steps. Hopefully Anderson gets traded sometime before the deadline and they release the Lehner for most of the year. I still don't see them making the playoffs, but over the past few seasons they've performed to the opposite of my expectations (thought they'd make it last year, thought they'd miss in '12 & '13).

Speaking of the new contracts for Toews and Kane, I don't feel Kane is worth 10.5 million.

I'm serious. I feel he was way overpayed. I mean, I love the guy's attitude but i feel like he hasn't shown to be worth that money. He's doesn't have the credentials yet individually. Then again, my teams FLC is Tyler Bozo, so I shouldn't be talking.

So in your mind 91 career playoff points, a Conn Smythe and Calder winner, 7 career playoff game winners, nearly 500 career regular season points, and rarely being injured isn't worth $10 million? You're right. He's arguably worth a lot more than that. The Blackhawks are lucky as hell that Toews and him share an agent and were mutually willing to sign identical contracts instead of searching for a bigger paycheck elsewhere individually.

Oh yeah, he's also 25.

Okay, I'll agree except for the part I bolded. Why? The Calder and Conn Smythe both have something in common: There the easiest trophies to win in hockey. Seriously, would Justin Williams, Cam Ward, Mike Vernon or Scott Stevens ever win a regualr season award? Not likely.

On their own they aren't the most prestigious awards, but they definitely contribute to the resume of a player. No one is saying that Andrew Raycroft should be in the Hall of Fame because he had a good rookie season, but winning the Calder definitely helped the HOF bids for dozens of players. I guess the biggest problem is that it has a lot to do with the quality of your rookie class. Crosby had a better rookie season than most Calder winners (39-63-102), but didn't win because he was going up against Ovechkin (52-54-106). As far as the Conn Smyth, it sometimes goes to a guy who gets hot at the right time, but you still need to reward the guys who can deliver when the pressure is the highest. It's still better than the MLB, who give award MVPs for each individual round of the playoffs, or the NFL, who awards the guy who played the best in one game. BTW, I'm not sure why you grouped Stevens in with the rest of those players. He's a HOFer, and arguably the most intimidating defenseman of all time. If it weren't for the existence of Niklas Lidstrom he would have at least one Norris Trophy under his belt.

Dan Cleary with the Red Wings truly is Groundhog Day come to life for Detroit fans.

No one wants to play there anymore without pre-salary-cap overbids nor automatic title contention. The Red Wings will soon just be Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Quincey playing in a Livonia rec league.

Ha! I love it!!!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Heatley was a big part of the Sharks teams that went to the third round. He was a non-entity in Minnesota, where he was either hurt, bad, or slow. But when it comes to being hurt, he was nothing compared to the guy the Sharks traded him for. Dumb move.Is Anaheim the most attractive free agent destination in the league? There's an established core to work with, the media pressure is minimal, the weather is nice, and the proximity to Mexico probably affords a higher quality of cocaine than you can get in other cities. I suppose you could say the same for Los Angeles, but it might be a little harder to fly under the radar with the Kings than with the Ducks.

It is a preferred destination for players such as Heatly and Kessler who want pats on the back for continually coming up short. "Anaheim Ducks: Where guys go to end their careers sadly."

Who's Heatly and Kessler?

JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK, WHY DO THE RED WINGS KEEP BRINGING BACK DAN CLEARY?

Because Ken Holland has lost his mind.

When Daniel Cleary left $6 million on the table last fall in Philadelphia to return to Detroit, there was an agreement made that it would be ameliorated by the Red Wings.That led to the contract that was announced Thursday, when the Wings signed Cleary to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million with another $1 million in bonuses.

His actual words:

"My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

That's an actual NHL GM publicly admitting that it was a really stupid thing to do, but saying he had to because he promised him.

Kenny, who the :censored: do you think you are... Ned Stark? Your only job is to win hockey games, not to follow some insane code of moral conduct...

JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK, WHY DO THE RED WINGS KEEP BRINGING BACK DAN CLEARY?

Because Ken Holland has lost his mind.

When Daniel Cleary left $6 million on the table last fall in Philadelphia to return to Detroit, there was an agreement made that it would be ameliorated by the Red Wings.That led to the contract that was announced Thursday, when the Wings signed Cleary to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million with another $1 million in bonuses.

His actual words:

"My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

That's an actual NHL GM publicly admitting that it was a really stupid thing to do, but saying he had to because he promised him.

Kenny, who the :censored: do you think you are... Ned Stark? Your only job is to win hockey games, not to follow some insane code of moral conduct...

Could it be an Illitch thing?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived