Most popular retro logo and colors ?

Rays

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was old, should be new.

BjR-7DdIUAEgUIf.png

The Mariners' current uniform and logo are very nice; I prefer them to the period that you have depicted with the M trident in the star.

But their original cap logo, wordmark, and number font were the best they ever had.

RuppertJonesMariners.JPG6b23986782fb030cd91d12d4f53bb981.jpg

Do these up in a button-down / belted version, and they'd be perfect.

When it's more muted, that really is a killer color combination. The iteration of that identity after rainbow guts was a good example of a more muted use of that color scheme:

nolan-ryan-astros.jpg

Fortunately, this uniform hung around long enough to receive the button-down / belted treatement.

jeff-bagwell-baseball-card-1991-donruss-

That logo is fine, but the uniforms from that era are awesome.

isco-Giants-9-1989-Matt-Williams-Home-Je

The road look was also pretty nice, so much so that it inspired the Giants' current road alt.

mlb_extinctunis_06.jpg

Something about the Northwestern stripe cuffs makes me like them, I don't know why.

The road look was good -- from the front only. But from that home wordmark and the post-1985-Padres-style number font were hideous.

The Giants are a traditional team who are best suited by a classic look. (Though the wordmark looks better vertically arched.) But I must say I also liked the variation when the black and orange were swapped on the jersey:

129619d1217451759-gambo-t_wil1-photo-dav1974_topps_30_bobby_bonds.jpg

73pic01.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Giants are a traditional team who are best suited by a classic look. (Though the wordmark looks better vertically arched.) But I must say I also liked the variation when the black and orange were swapped on the jersey:

73pic01.jpg

I like that variation of the classic look, but I feel that it kinda blurs the Giants-Orioles line (Giants should have black lettering with orange outlines, while the Orioles should have orange lettering with black outlines). Other than that, it's a nice set.

73pic01.jpg

I like that variation of the classic look, but I feel that it kinda blurs the Giants-Orioles line (Giants should have black lettering with orange outlines, while the Orioles should have orange lettering with black outlines). Other than that, it's a nice set.

I don't know why that that distinction should be important. Those teams have overall aesthetics that differ enough that, even if they used the same colour arrangement in their wordmarks, they'd still be very distinct from one another.

Second, I would say that the Orioles looked better when their wordmark was black-on-orange. As I mentioned in another thread, that wordmark, combined with the orange-on-black front number, actually made the orange pop more.

So I'd say that, for the Orioles, this

Cal-Ripken-Jr.s-Consecutive-Games-Streak

...is better than this

cal-ripken-jr.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Not the most popular, but definitely the best - in my opinion. And...the Rams are talking about bringing them back.

c699939f0e9ac3b941666748a47d4434.jpg

jack_snow_1971_10_31.jpg

Where have they said this? I've only heard it could be a possible retro look

Can't remember who it was, but somebody related to the organization discussed potential changes and brought that up. Also, there has been several people that noted that the stadium art on and around the field is blue and white.

I don't know why that that distinction should be important. Those teams have overall aesthetics that differ enough that, even if they used the same colour arrangement in their wordmarks, they'd still be very distinct from one another.

Second, I would say that the Orioles looked better when their wordmark was black-on-orange. As I mentioned in another thread, that wordmark, combined with the orange-on-black front number, actually made the orange pop more.

So I'd say that, for the Orioles, this

Cal-Ripken-Jr.s-Consecutive-Games-Streak

...is better than this

cal-ripken-jr.png

I completely understand your point, but you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this. Maybe it's because I grew up watching the Orioles in the 70s and 80s, but they don't look right to me with a black wordmark.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

^ Good, but at this point they'd look like Colts clones.

Hmmm....hadn't heard that one before. B)

Yes, they'll have the similar colors but I'm guessing we'll be able to tell the two teams apart.

BB52Big.jpg

^ Good, but at this point they'd look like Colts clones.

Hmmm....hadn't heard that one before. B)

Yes, they'll have the similar colors but I'm guessing we'll be able to tell the two teams apart.

But when you have an already unique color scheme that only you use i. You league, why would you go to a color scheme that another team has been using for over 45 years

Brown and yellow are popular colors ??? Can't imagine there would be much sale in padres retro merchandise.

You don't know how popular the Padres retro merchandise is in San Diego. I think they sold more in retro merchandise than the current stuff.

You'll see a handful of people with some retro gear on in the stands. Definitely not more than people with the current colors. I don't see the whole stadium wearing brown and yellow.

What people in the stands are you talking about? There are no padres fans that go to games

Any way the most popular uniforms in Chicago have to be the old bulls black jersey that Jordan wore

In 2010, the Utah Jazz did the right thing by going Back to the Future when they brought back their music note logo and that should serve as inspiration for many other teams for officially bringing their old logos back.

Bnz7WwWCIAAPMMc.jpg

One more thing about the Mariners' star trident. It should be brought back officially. Let NATO have their compass. If there are people who still believe any "upside down trident" is bad luck, simply drop the term trident from your vocabulary and refer to it as cool looking 'M' or a 'Mariner M'. A pretty easy solution for such a frivolous matter as a baseball team's logo. This doesn't have to be difficult and it isn't. With that out of the way, they can finally close the door on the bland nineties and focus on building a winner.

In 2010, the Utah Jazz did the right thing by going Back to the Future when they brought back their music note logo and that should serve as inspiration for many other teams for officially bringing their old logos back.

Bnz7WwWCIAAPMMc.jpg

One more thing about the Mariners' star trident. It should be brought back officially. Let NATO have their compass. If there are people who still believe any "upside down trident" is bad luck, simply drop the term trident from your vocabulary and refer to it as cool looking 'M' or a 'Mariner M'. A pretty easy solution for such a frivolous matter as a baseball team's logo. This doesn't have to be difficult and it isn't. With that out of the way, they can finally close the door on the bland nineties and focus on building a winner.

Well, that note got brought back earlier than that in 2008 (albeit in a different color scheme):

58bz6uwruz02dgqjc75emz8er.gif

Even then, the Jazz did not go all the way back, replacing the purple of the old color scheme with navy blue (and adding silver as an accent color). So, not so much Back to the Future ©. More like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, as what worked in the past was brought into the future and changed to help out the present (I know time travel movies too well, and I also know that your constant analogy of Back to the Future © is a bit inaccurate).

Those are nice colors, but I prefere the Mariners' current ones. I'm surprised that no team has royal blue and yellow. I think the Royals can use a little more yellow instead of those Dodgers imitations. They've had those uniforms since the beginning, but that's the way I always see them.

Archived