NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but why do the Cowboys outline the sleeve stripes in black/navy? It's not seen anywhere else and really doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm speaking purely opinionated, but just from my perspective they did a lot when color TV was in its infancy. The silvers and the outlines were probably done to accentuate the colors on early color TV's.

The silvers were an attempt to standardize the colors on television. Fabric and plastic reflect light differently, and that can make the colors appear to be different on television. FWIW, you still see this issue with white helmets over white jerseys.

So they tweaked the colors, creating a special color for the pants and one for the helmet, in order for them to look the same on television. And then television technology improved, and we can see the true colors of the pants. Whoops.

The next year, the Cowboys debuted a navy and silver when-were-forced-to uniform... I guess they chose navy because it had to be dark, but royal blue was, you know, cursed. But they obviously didn't want to meddle with their iconic white look. This made them the first team with one color scheme most of the time, and a completely different one once or twice a year. And further fiddling between these two looks has left them with the muddled multi-blues and grays they have today.

57_108.jpg

Tex Schramm tried to claim that a uni change was in the pipeline anyway, but it's clear that Philly, STL and the Rams got in their head.

The next year, the Cowboys debuted a navy and silver when-were-forced-to uniform... I guess they chose navy because it had to be dark, but royal blue was, you know, cursed. But they obviously didn't want to meddle with their iconic white look. This made them the first team with one color scheme most of the time, and a completely different one once or twice a year. And further fiddling between these two looks has left them with the muddled multi-blues and grays they have today.

57_108.jpg

Tex Schramm tried to claim that a uni change was in the pipeline anyway, but it's clear that Philly, STL and the Rams got in their head.

Nice picture! Check out those hip numbers! Those are as 80's as parachute pants and leg warmers.

For all the money that Jerreh Jones and the Cowboys have and generate, you'd think they could put a team out there in uniforms that weren't cheap looking.

The Cowboys uniforms are cheap and mixmatched. Blame whoever you want for that, but they are. From the faded collars and stripes to the 13 different colors they use, its just weird that a team could trot themselves out there looking so rag-tag all the time.

When is Jerreh going to do a rebrand? As money hungry as that guy is, you know how much dough that would generate for him and his team? A boat load. They might be able to look decent too, if they got it right.

They should have just switched to the updated double-star uniforms full-time back in the '90s. Yeah, they were gaudy and over-the-top, which is why they were absolutely perfect for the Cowboys.

I have to think that Jerry wanted the double stars to be the team's new uniforms but somewhere along the line he got some push back from fans or somebody in the organization that told him he couldn't alter their traditional uniform so drastically. Why else would you launch a completely new look complete with a full line of apparel in the middle of a season and completely abandon the look after the season's end? Only other thing I can think of is that it was a test and they proved to not be as popular as he thought.

Wasn't it like an anniversary year or something like that?

I think the Vikings look better with the serifs on both numbers.

It was the '94 season so they had double star throwbacks and launched the modern double star in the middle of the season...kind of a mess really

1996, actually.

Really? I thought they wore the double star unis against the 49ers in the championship game?

It was the '94 season so they had double star throwbacks and launched the modern double star in the middle of the season...kind of a mess really

1996, actually.

Really? I thought they wore the double star unis against the 49ers in the championship game?

Thought you were talking about the double stars they wear today (on the sleeves).

57_108.jpg

That's always been my favorite Cowboys uniform. Super nice, clean.

57_108.jpg

That's always been my favorite Cowboys uniform. Super nice, clean.

they actually modified the unis that season so that Danny White could see the receivers' numbers better

I always thought those stripes were navy. Makes the inconsistencies with the jerseys even worse that its black.

No, they're definitely black...

tony-romo.jpg

They predate navy as part of the Cowboys scheme.

roger_staubach.jpg

(Note the black stripes are there, as well as that nice subtle, but unique, number font.)

The navy was brought in in 1981 as part of a silly "break the curse" idea. Up until then, the Cowboys had a fairly consistent color palette. They started out in 1960 as a royal blue and white team, brought in a blueish silver in '64, and stayed that way for years. (Dark royal and metallic blue-silver was, and still should be, the perfect Cowboy color scheme IMO.) The owner also decided early on that by wearing white at home, and therefore pretty much all the time, they would become the most recognizable team in the TV era. Which worked, BTW.

During the late 70's it became popular for teams (famously the St. Louis Cardinals, who made a real game out of it) to force the Cowboys into their royal blue jersey. They had some purely coincidental loses in those jerseys (because magic isn't real, hillbilies) and it seemed to get in their heads. In 1980, they lost in Philly in the NFC championship to the Eagles, who wore white that day... I still have a heart warming visual in my memory of Danny White weeping on the bench. My mid-teen self loved it.

This is why I always advocate that Dallas clean up their color scheme be dropping all navy, all silver (and obviously that weird green) and stick with the totally awesome combo of dark royal and blue-silver. Because those are their colors! Everything else is a mistake brought about by dumbass superstition.

(By the way, I agree with the roman... the black trim is a neat little quirk, on its own. Everything else, color-wise? Yeesh.)

Solid rundown, but... hasn't the star on the helmet always been navy?

So today against the Buccaneers, I noticed Aaron Rodgers is wearing his captains patch, which goes against the Packers not wearing captain patches in the regular season. I don't think he's worn it against any other team this regular season, so does anybody know why he's wearing it?

So today against the Buccaneers, I noticed Aaron Rodgers is wearing his captains patch, which goes against the Packers not wearing captain patches in the regular season. I don't think he's worn it against any other team this regular season, so does anybody know why he's wearing it?

The Packers usually change captains week to week before settling on one set for the postseason, which is why they don't wear the patches in the regular season.

Last week, they selected their playoff captains before clinching as motivation. Guess those guys are also captaining the final weeks as well.

What does it look like? Last season Rodgers topped out with the all-gold patch. How are they recognizing his sixth year as captain?

So much for any Rams changes any time soon. Neither they nor any team will be moving to LA next season...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000446097/article/raiders-chargers-rams-not-moving-to-la-in-2015

I don't think the two are as entwined as you obviously do.

Oh, I don't know, either way. I just assumed they were. I hope they move to LA "and" change their uniforms to royal and yellow, but the uniform change would be sweet, regardless.

I always thought those stripes were navy. Makes the inconsistencies with the jerseys even worse that its black.

No, they're definitely black...

tony-romo.jpg

They predate navy as part of the Cowboys scheme.

roger_staubach.jpg

(Note the black stripes are there, as well as that nice subtle, but unique, number font.)

The navy was brought in in 1981 as part of a silly "break the curse" idea. Up until then, the Cowboys had a fairly consistent color palette. They started out in 1960 as a royal blue and white team, brought in a blueish silver in '64, and stayed that way for years. (Dark royal and metallic blue-silver was, and still should be, the perfect Cowboy color scheme IMO.) The owner also decided early on that by wearing white at home, and therefore pretty much all the time, they would become the most recognizable team in the TV era. Which worked, BTW.

During the late 70's it became popular for teams (famously the St. Louis Cardinals, who made a real game out of it) to force the Cowboys into their royal blue jersey. They had some purely coincidental loses in those jerseys (because magic isn't real, hillbilies) and it seemed to get in their heads. In 1980, they lost in Philly in the NFC championship to the Eagles, who wore white that day... I still have a heart warming visual in my memory of Danny White weeping on the bench. My mid-teen self loved it.

This is why I always advocate that Dallas clean up their color scheme be dropping all navy, all silver (and obviously that weird green) and stick with the totally awesome combo of dark royal and blue-silver. Because those are their colors! Everything else is a mistake brought about by dumbass superstition.

(By the way, I agree with the roman... the black trim is a neat little quirk, on its own. Everything else, color-wise? Yeesh.)

I was really young, so I might not be remembering this correctly. I believe there were a couple times where the Cowboys were playing in St. Louis. The Cardinals would tell them they were wearing white, so they needed to bring their blue jerseys. The Cowboys simply refused to bring them and wore their white jerseys and forced the Cardinals to wear their red jerseys.

Archived