Next MLB Overhaul?

kevinmets

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my perfect world:

SD - I would love to see them go back to brown and gold.

TB - I wish they would feature the light blue as an accent color more prominently on their home whites and road grays.

Cleveland - They need to come up with an identity since they're phasing Chief Wahoo out. The block C doesn't work. I'd like to see them go back to the 1970s font they used when they wore the red bloodclots, but please, no red bloodclots!

LA Angels - Too much red. Go back to a navy hat with a red brim.

Houston - I love their new, back to the past identity, but they need to do something with the front of their jerseys. They're using the same lettering on the front that they use for the names on the back. Whenever I see them from the back, I think "Nice uni", but when I see them from the front, I think "Boring". I say go back to the lettering with the "shooting star" that they used in the 1970s.

Miami - Just blow it up and start from scratch. Their previous identity wasn't bad. If they would have just replaced the F for Florida with an M for Miami and kept the black and teal, I'd have been good with that.

Milwaukee - Go back to royal blue and gold and replace that overly fancy letter and number font with something more traditional. Put "Barrelman" on the left sleeve.

Colorado - Feature the purple more prominently - lose the black vests.

Arizona - Get rid on the "D backs" on the front of the jerseys. They have not one, but two great logos - the A with the diamondback design on it and the rattlesnake in the shape of a D. Both are all they need. I'd put the D on the left chest of the home jersey with the current brick red hat with the D (with brick red numbers and letters and black trim). On the road, I'd put the A on the left chest of the jersey with a black hat with the A on it (with black numbers and letters with brick red trim).

One last thing. For any team the has a jersey with a logo on the left chest and a number on the right chest - PLEASE put the number at the same height as the logo (for examples, see the White Sox and the Reds for the right way to do it and see the Pirates and the Nationals for the wrong way to do it).

I agree with everything with the post above. One other team i wish would consider a remodel is the Seattle Mariners. The Block "S" logo and compass rose is boring. I am not sure whether bringing back the old logo (and keep the green in the logo) would work, or else modify the current logo to include the older logo. Just my opinion.

A wise man once said, "My advice is going to cost you dearly. Pay up".

I agree with everything with the post above. One other team i wish would consider a remodel is the Seattle Mariners. The Block "S" logo and compass rose is boring. I am not sure whether bringing back the old logo (and keep the green in the logo) would work, or else modify the current logo to include the older logo. Just my opinion.

Block "S"? There's nothing blocky about the S lol

teha9thtkf0t63ihghypefrdj.gif

One last thing. For any team the has a jersey with a logo on the left chest and a number on the right chest - PLEASE put the number at the same height as the logo (for examples, see the White Sox and the Reds for the right way to do it and see the Pirates and the Nationals for the wrong way to do it).

I agree completely! The unbalanced logo/numbers look like fake ebay knockoffs. I can't see how anyone could look at those (or the Cubs' microscopic front numbers) and think it looks even close to right.

I agree completely! The unbalanced logo/numbers look like fake ebay knockoffs. I can't see how anyone could look at those (or the Cubs' microscopic front numbers) and think it looks even close to right.

That's silly. It isn't necessary to have the number on the chess just to have it even with the logo. That's like saying the only reason the number should be low is to move it out the way for script to goes across the chest. The Reds have the logo and numbers even because that is their uniform design.

I'm really not bothered at all by the chest logo and numbers not being the same vertical height. I don't think it looks bad on the Nationals, for example. It's just a stylistic thing and it's fine with me.

I think what would bother me, though, is inconsistent height. Such as a huge chest logo and tiny numbers, or vice versa. Not that any teams do that, but that would stick out far more.

I was watching the game against the A's on Saturday night and got a good look at the Mariners for the first time in a while. They have a great identity. Great logo. Great uniform set. It's clean, it's a good color scheme. Not sure what people complain about. A great color scheme that reflects both the region and the team name.

sig.png

I know one thing, that's long annoyed me whenever I get a look at the Nats. Kinda like how the Oilers' Edge jerseys had that gap in their sleeve stripes...and the numbers were placed above the gap rather than something weird like...oh, I dunno, filling said gap.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I was watching the game against the A's on Saturday night and got a good look at the Mariners for the first time in a while. They have a great identity. Great logo. Great uniform set. It's clean, it's a good color scheme. Not sure what people complain about. A great color scheme that reflects both the region and the team name.

I'm with you. A near-perfect set. Maybe we can quibble about the home cap's bill color, or whether they should drop that stupid number font on the alternates, but overall one of the best in baseball.

I'm with you. A near-perfect set. Maybe we can quibble about the home cap's bill color, or whether they should drop that stupid number font on the alternates, but overall one of the best in baseball.

I think the one common complaint is that the home bill should be teal. Other than that, I haven't seen much complaining. The current look is great.

I'd argue that the road bill should be teal, as well, but that's pretty much it. Admiral wants them to start over just because, and Phantom gets tight-pants over them wearing blue and yellow, but it seems the huge majority of the board thinks the Mariners have a good to great look.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm the one person who thinks the Mariners should avoid standard block numerals. Maybe something a little stronger than the current alternate jersey font, but something less blocky. I hate to ruin everyone's BASEBALL SHOULD BE TRADITIONAL parade but from a design standpoint, the standard block numbers clash horribly with the rest of their design elements.

Because the block numbers compliment the custom fonts. They are sufficiently neutral to work with any font, balancing the design.

Custom fonts with matching numbers are overly fussy. Too much. It takes an otherwise-good font and ruins it through saturation, like with the Reds. Neutral numbers break up that same-sameness and allow the wordmarks to stand better on their own.

as a life long time padres fan, I would hope that they get a complete redesign it seems like ever since 2004 when they opened petco park they just haven't found their identity as a team i know they tried to do the whole beach/sand color combination but that doesn't really do it for me. there name is the padres they should have a color pallet that resembles that or rename the team the San diego Waves or something. I agree with the earlier post someone made about having a maroon color scheme that would be unique and different or even there brown and yellow from the past would be nice. I really cannot stand the jerseys that they wear today I hope their new ownership will listen and change thing up

Because the block numbers compliment the custom fonts. They are sufficiently neutral to work with any font, balancing the design.

Custom fonts with matching numbers are overly fussy. Too much. It takes an otherwise-good font and ruins it through saturation, like with the Reds. Neutral numbers break up that same-sameness and allow the wordmarks to stand better on their own.

It's particularly bad when the Reds had such a good, distinct block font, which they used from the Big Red Machine era up until black was added in. That's what teams should do. Find distinctive block fonts rather than coming up with some gimmicky crap. The Reds today would look much better with their proprietary block font. It's also one of the reasons I maintain the Jaguars looked so much better in 1996 with the rounded block font than with their custom font which followed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's particularly bad when the Reds had such a good, distinct block font, which they used from the Big Red Machine era up until black was added in. That's what teams should do. Find distinctive block fonts rather than coming up with some gimmicky crap. The Reds today would look much better with their proprietary block font. It's also one of the reasons I maintain the Jaguars looked so much better in 1996 with the rounded block font than with their custom font which followed.

What did the Reds' block font from that era look like?

Archived