Next MLB Overhaul?

kevinmets

Because the block numbers compliment the custom fonts. They are sufficiently neutral to work with any font, balancing the design.

Custom fonts with matching numbers are overly fussy. Too much. It takes an otherwise-good font and ruins it through saturation, like with the Reds. Neutral numbers break up that same-sameness and allow the wordmarks to stand better on their own.

It's particularly bad when the Reds had such a good, distinct block font, which they used from the Big Red Machine era up until black was added in. That's what teams should do. Find distinctive block fonts rather than coming up with some gimmicky crap. The Reds today would look much better with their proprietary block font. It's also one of the reasons I maintain the Jaguars looked so much better in 1996 with the rounded block font than with their custom font which followed.

What did the Reds' block font from that era look like?

I, too, wish they'd go back to the block font and eliminate the black altogether. My biggest gripe with the 1972-92 jerseys was that the names were too large...way too large...and there was too much spacing between the letters...

cindc5bk-5iaj2h4fajc1igl7hovn_original-1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that picture, they're wearing MLB block (except for maybe Pete Rose). I didn't know the Reds used MLB block in that era. Anyway, I can't post pictures on my work computer, for some reason. Google Barry Larkin, Reggie Sanders, Jose Rijo, or other the 1990 Reds.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the Reds had the Z-shaped 2 and a few other little angles here and there that were different from standard block.

And hey, neon green Mariners might be fun.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because the block numbers compliment the custom fonts. They are sufficiently neutral to work with any font, balancing the design.

Custom fonts with matching numbers are overly fussy. Too much. It takes an otherwise-good font and ruins it through saturation, like with the Reds. Neutral numbers break up that same-sameness and allow the wordmarks to stand better on their own.

Is not the only reason block numbers are considered okay because it's a sports team? In the basic interest of design, the numbers clash. There's no way around that. But because this is baseball it gets a pass. I realize I'll never change anyone's mind on this, I'm just trying to make a point.

Sorry, major pet peeve: it's "complement the custom fonts".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for the correction.

Can I blame my phone's auto-correct? :P

Because the block numbers complement the custom fonts. They are sufficiently neutral to work with any font, balancing the design.

Is not the only reason block numbers are considered okay because it's a sports team? In the basic interest of design, the numbers clash. There's no way around that. But because this is baseball it gets a pass. I realize I'll never change anyone's mind on this, I'm just trying to make a point.

Not at all. It's possible to mix fonts under any number of conditions. Happens all the time in the world of design.

CMP.jpg

Different fonts don't automatically clash.

If I were to make changes, one of my first would have to be trashing the Nats' Walgreens cap logo for something more original, and maybe even adding gold back into the color scheme.

-UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT-

The Padres should definitely change from what they have now. However, if they go back to "the toilets", as I call them, I wouldn't be a fan. I would recommend maroon and orange, as it's similar to the retros, but not as crappy-looking.

JOda8ed.png

I rank them in the order of 2, 1, 3, 4.

I detest the dropshadow on the Reds road uniforms, but the lettering and numbers on the home whites doesn't look right without some sort of offset or outline. That being said, since this example is of the road grays, I'd go with 4, 3, 2, 1. In other words, the last three are all improvements over what they actually wear.

Since a lot of teams are going back to their roots.

San Diego should go back to brown/yellow and old swinging padre logo. Brewers back to the mb glove logo. White Sox... although they are in their Shoeless Joe's the old swinging batter?

Mariners back to their trident M?

A team who should overhaul just their home uniform: The Twins.

I know they just changed their roads and alts, but that home uniform has stayed since '87 and it is just old and stale. It's 2014 and it's time to move on from that big blocky font.

Why? It still looks good and I don't see why they need to change it just because "it's 2014", that makes no sense and just sounds like change for the sake of change. Plus they won 2 World Series in the current look. There are plenty of other teams that have had the same look since long before 1987, should they change too?

I know they just changed their roads and alts, but that home uniform has stayed since '87 and it is just old and stale. It's 2014 and it's time to move on from that big blocky font.

I agree. When I see their home uniform, I think of the MetroDome, Kirby Puckett (God rest his soul!) Kent Hrbeck, Gary Gaetti, Tom Brunansky, etc.

Yeah, such painful memories for Twins fans. Why would they ever want to be reminded of those times?

1987-minnesota-twins-world-series-sports

p1kirbypuckett3si.jpg

I agree. When I see their home uniform, I think of the MetroDome, Kirby Puckett (God rest his soul!) Kent Hrbeck, Gary Gaetti, Tom Brunansky, etc.

Yeah, such painful memories for Twins fans. Why would they ever want to be reminded of those times?

p1kirbypuckett3si.jpg

Reminds me that the Twins should use their M cap more often

p1kirbypuckett3si.jpg

It's about strictly that they've worn them forever, it's that they haven't aged well in my eyes. The design looks too 80s/90s.

The Twins had a great identity until they decided to go back to the "TC" cap and added the "creme" colored home uniforms. They had a fresh look that debuted in 1997 and still looked good nearly 20 years later, until they decided they were an "old-time" team after moving to an outdoor stadium (which in of itself was ridiculous).

Add in two or three ill-advised alternates, and the identity is a mess. It wouldn't have been hard to incorporate the old with the new, but the Twins failed at that, big time.

They took a look of success and tried to incorporate that into a look of failure. They went with nostalgia over success and wound up with neither.

The Indians are, without question, the MLB team in most need of an overhaul. Get off the fence about Chief Wahoo already...Either keep him or get rid of him, but please stop with the charade of hiding behind the popular "fan vote" before taking a stand on the subject.

This whole era of "offering our fans an alternative" while still rolling out Wahoo is ridiculous. Real organizations don't do that. Real organizations are capable of handling unpopular fan backlash. This is pathetic.

I would be in favor of two different yet distinct jerseys for the Indians-

Home- Indians Script with Wahoo hat- blue and red. Wahoo on sleeve

Home Alternate- navy Indians Script jersey with navy and red wahoo hat. Wahoo on sleeve

Road- current Cleveland grey with wahoo replaced on the sleeve with a baseball wearing wahoos headress. (Might not be the best, but could tie in all three jerseys slightly.

Road Alt- cursive Cleveland script on navy jersey, baseball with wahoo headress.

Both road jerseys will be worn with either a navy baseball in a headress cap (like the patch) or an all navy C cap (current block letter)

Indians would have 4 jerseys and three caps. Keep wahoo for the home crowd, the baseball Indian for the road.

Slowly work the road alt into the home schedule-

Eventually push the baseball and headdress.

Redesign Around that in 5 years. Keep wahoo in the mix with one hat for "heritage days"

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived