Next MLB Overhaul?

kevinmets

I'm not saying the Rockies should adopt some random color they have no history with, like teal or orange, but that they could get by fine with just purple/silver if they were so inclined. That said, I'm not holding my breath. It's one of those "I love you but that doesn't mean that I want you or I can't live without you" deals, I don't hate the Rockies uniforms, but I wouldn't be all that bothered if I never saw any of them again, if that makes any sense.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mlb_u_scott11_300.jpg

Make it so, etc.

In all seriousness, the White Sox should have no allegiance to any particular color other than white. Their uniform history bares this out as well: They've used all three "primary" professional baseball colors as their base color at some point or another: blue to black (with red) to red to red & blue back to black. What they wear now is certainly solid. But why not kelly (or even a darker shade of) green? It's sharp, it's not flashy, and it's not common. And they wouldn't have to change the uniforms. Just make everything that is currently black green.

mlb_u_scott11_300.jpg

Make it so, etc.

In all seriousness, the White Sox should have no allegiance to any particular color other than white. Their uniform history bares this out as well: They've used all three "primary" professional baseball colors as their base color at some point or another: blue to black (with red) to red to red & blue back to black. What they wear now is certainly solid. But why not kelly (or even a darker shade of) green? It's sharp, it's not flashy, and it's not common. And they wouldn't have to change the uniforms. Just make everything that is currently black green.

Agree 100 percent

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised nobody's mentioned the Phillies. They would greatly benefit from a switch to maroon and a classier, more traditional script (like the 1950s one). Their current look is so...meh. The bubbly font/script look almost AAA-worthy, and it's definitely showing its age after 20+ years.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Surprised nobody's mentioned the Phillies. They would greatly benefit from a switch to maroon and a classier, more traditional script (like the 1950s one). Their current look is so...meh. The bubbly font/script look almost AAA-worthy, and it's definitely showing its age after 20+ years.[/quote

Unfortunately the Phillies are too naive to think that they need to scrap their whole roster and front office. So I can almost guarantee that there will not be a uniform change. But I agree. The look is so dated and I like for them to be in maroon again.

Surprised nobody's mentioned the Phillies. They would greatly benefit from a switch to maroon and a classier, more traditional script (like the 1950s one). Their current look is so...meh. The bubbly font/script look almost AAA-worthy, and it's definitely showing its age after 20+ years.

I don't get this one. I mean, I get the desire to switch to maroon; maroon looked superb with the 70s-80s logo, which itself is a thing of beauty.

7062131970.gif

The home uniform from that period was always great. And when the team dropped the powder blue on the road and went to grey in the late 80s, the uniform featuring this logo reached perfection.

mike.schmidt.philadelphia.phillies.1973.

But the comment about the script is baffling. The current script is just a slightly tweaked version of the 50s script.

7035651950.gifdde6ugqm5exrau06p8f2g17x4.gif

They're not exactly the same, of course; but they are more similar than the current Blue Jays script is to the classic one. So I don't understand the assertion that the team should dump the current wordmark for a "more traditional" one, when the one they are using essentially is the traditional one.

Anyway, I cast my vote for the Padres being the next team to undergo an overhaul.

The Rockies would benefit from hewing closer to their original look, without the black jerseys. The Diamondbacks should go back to their original look; that A logo is very well designed, with the snake's tongue in the middle. And Texas should revert to their mid-90s uniforms with the red script. But these are not going to happen.

The Brewers' classic look is miles ahead of their ridiculous current design with the malformed numbers; but they at least use the classic look as the basis for a frequently-worn alt; so they are getting the benefit from it.

The Mariners, White Sox, and Twins have good current sets; they shouldn't change anything drastic. (The Sox should indeed bring back the sock sleeve patch; and the Twins should use the M cap that actually goes with their current uniform, not the TC, which I have never liked.)

The Padres are the only team that has foolishly discarded an essential part of its franchise identity, of its brand equity. So I'd say that they will eventually see that reclaiming the brown and yellow will be a positive move for them.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The old Phillies script is far superior to the current one - mostly because of the shape of the "h" and "i"s.

The current one is two perfect - almost unnatural.

That being said, while I'm partial to the olde English "P" era (an example of one of those sets is on the left below), the best Phillies look IMO was 1948 (on the right - the ones without the colored belt loops).

nl_1925_philadelphia.gifnl_1948_philadelphia.gif

Make the cap logo the fancier P and it's a great uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

mlb_u_scott11_300.jpg

Make it so, etc.

Agree 100 percent

Disagree 100 Perfent. Black and White works perfectly for them. Its really the only way to convey being the WHITE Sox. It would be nice if the socks were white, but if you make them green, then they look like the Green Sox. Having Black is the only way to not overshadow the white.

Having said that - They could have a cleaner - more "white" look if they lose the pinstripes, something like this (admittedly thrown together in 30 seconds) :

sox-home_zps7ebba7cf.jpg

sox-road_zpsd36a0098.jpg

and pair the home jersey with this cap (road jersey can use current black cap):

CWS.jpg

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

mlb_u_scott11_300.jpg

Make it so, etc.

Agree 100 percent

Disagree 100 Perfent. Black and White works perfectly for them. Its really the only way to convey being the WHITE Sox. It would be nice if the socks were white, but if you make them green, then they look like the Green Sox. Having Black is the only way to not overshadow the white.

Having said that - They could have a cleaner - more "white" look if they lose the pinstripes, something like this (admittedly thrown together in 30 seconds) :

sox-home_zps7ebba7cf.jpg

sox-road_zpsd36a0098.jpg

CWS.jpg

I've always wanted to see something similar. Ditch the silver, maybe even the pinstripes and actually wear white socks (bottom sock half at least, nfl style). That would be a classic look.

Disagree 100 Perfent. Black and White works perfectly for them. Its really the only way to convey being the WHITE Sox.

Don't you think that maybe simply wearing white socks is all that's needed to convey, you know, White Sox? The Colors of the rest of the uniform are pretty much irrelevant.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rockies won't change, they won't change anything under the current leadership... they've had the same GM for 15 years and only had 3 winning seasons but won't fire him because the owner thinks he's the "best GM in baseball."

They are asleep at the wheel, no vison or originality. The entire organization is stagnant from top to bottom.

mlb_u_scott11_300.jpg

Make it so, etc.

Agree 100 percent

sox-home_zps7ebba7cf.jpg

sox-road_zpsd36a0098.jpg

CWS.jpg

I've always wanted to see something similar. Ditch the silver, maybe even the pinstripes and actually wear white socks (bottom sock half at least, nfl style). That would be a classic look.

Seeing them in this (But with black instead of navy) would be perfect for them

227228d1314639910-updated-photo-request-

Padres are probably a good bet. But not to the brown and yellow/orange. They have too much invested in the blue now to simply change direction around the park and in all their promo stuff. Seems far more likely, and they've hinted more than once, that a PCL or '98 style rebrand might be in the offing.

Dark sanis are never a good idea.

Seeing them in this (But with black instead of navy) would be perfect for them

227228d1314639910-updated-photo-request-

That would be a good look, sure, but the Sox shouldn't switch to that. They have a great, relatively distinctive look which they have worn for the past 24 years, mimicking a look which the team wore for a good 20 years previously. No need for them to change, particularly when they have changed so often in their history. They finally found something good and consistent. It's bad enough they've been chipping away at the great road set, they need to leave the pinstripes alone.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But they did when this set was introduced, since stirrups were still used, so I can't fault the design.

Plus, what does it matter now that the pants go down to the spikes? :)

alex_fernandez_1991_04_17.jpg

They can create a sublimated sock design on the end of the pants so it looks like everyone is wearing white socks. Or just go back to wearing shorts. Then you'll definitely see everyone's white socks.

Archived