Next MLB Overhaul?

kevinmets

I can definitely see the White Sox doing an overhaul too and bringing back some of the elements from their past looks.

That would be change for the sake of change. When wearing the traditional white jerseys and gray jerseys, the Sox look the best they have in their history. If they felt they just "had" to change, the same uniform in red or royal blue would be the only acceptable changes. Please, none of that late 70s through late 80s stuff.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Chicago&lowYear=1964&highYear=1975&sort=year&increment=18

Although unlikely, I would not be surprised to see the Miami Marlins go back to a more traditional look with teal in the next few years as they approach their 25th anniversary.

As has been said on this forum before, teal is such a "1990s" color that another decade or two will have to pass before it will ever be "retro cool" again. Aqua (or whatever the Dolphins color is called), on the other hand, would work:

Miami-Marlins-New-Era-Fitted-Hats-NIKE-L

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers current look is perfect. You can get any more of a beer type look than what the have. While the retros are amazing and everyone loves them (most of my shirts are retros), they are just that-retros. Once they put Milwaukee on the road greys then itheir set is perfect for them

I can definitely see the White Sox doing an overhaul too and bringing back some of the elements from their past looks.

That would be change for the sake of change. When wearing the traditional white jerseys and gray jerseys, the Sox look the best they have in their history. If they felt they just "had" to change, the same uniform in red or royal blue would be the only acceptable changes. Please, none of that late 70s through late 80s stuff.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Chicago&lowYear=1964&highYear=1975&sort=year&increment=18

Although unlikely, I would not be surprised to see the Miami Marlins go back to a more traditional look with teal in the next few years as they approach their 25th anniversary.

As has been said on this forum before, teal is such a "1990s" color that another decade or two will have to pass before it will ever be "retro cool" again. Aqua (or whatever the Dolphins color is called), on the other hand, would work:

Because teal isn't working for the hornets...

I never understood what sort of malice Chief Wahoo was meant to communicate. I don't think he's supposed to be drunk or stupid or anything. I just figured he was smiling because baseball is supposed to be fun. Oh well, I've never claimed to be a first-class social justice warrior like Gothamite.

It's much less social justice and more about decency but I'm sure that's a challenge for you as well so you can get a pass.

If they felt they just "had" to change, the same uniform in red or royal blue would be the only acceptable changes.

DEAR GOD NO.

Blue pinstripes are already used by another team in the city, and having a team wearing red and called the Sox, but not the actual Red Sox is ridiculous.

I love the White Sox current home and alt, but their roads have been seriously dismantled with the inferior shoulder patch and especially the mismatched pants stripes, and wearing the 80s unis every home day game is ridiculous.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Would it help if the Indians change to a recolored Wahoo. I've never heard what is racist about it other than it's skin color. Could someone point it out for me.... Maybe it's that :censored: eating grin and feather but I've never heard why it's bad, just that it is.

Maybe just a feathered C is what they need, someone pull up the concept someone did.

he has a grin on his face, most other logos have a angry face or animal.....pretty sure the PC crowd would have no problem if this indian was angry
You don't even know what PC means.

Personal computer, right?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

If they felt they just "had" to change, the same uniform in red or royal blue would be the only acceptable changes.

DEAR GOD NO.

Blue pinstripes are already used by another team in the city, and having a team wearing red and called the Sox, but not the actual Red Sox is ridiculous.

I love the White Sox current home and alt, but their roads have been seriously dismantled with the inferior shoulder patch and especially the mismatched pants stripes, and wearing the 80s unis every home day game is ridiculous.

I'm a Sox fan and can't watch them any more without thinking "why would they lose the sock logo on the sleeve?" The double Sox logo on the cap and jersey looks stupid.

87Redskins.png

damnreb.jpg

Team that probably will go through an overhaul: Indians. I ilke Wahoo (yeh, makes me a horrible person and whatnot :rolleyes: ), but much like with the Skins, the writing's on the wall, and I don't think Cleveland's owners can afford to be as stubborn as Snyder. It's either gonna be some crap built around the block C that will rival the early 90s Mariners in blandness, or hopefully something in the neighborhood of the Spokane Indians. Probably the former. A shame, I loved the 94-2000 set.

Team whose look has grown stale, but will stand pat for now: Rockies. They should put far more of an emphasis on purple, but they won't. They should ditch black, but they won't. They should consider incorporating some piece of Denver's pre-MLB baseball history, but they won't. Just too much won't here.

Team who will probably consider going for an ill advised overhaul: White Sox. Yes, people remember the "Winning Ugly" 83 set, those are kinda hard to forget. Anybody remember what the Sox wore before the blacks? Yeh, no. I remember having a late 80s Sox cap as a kid, and thinking it was an e instead of a cursive C (gimme a break, I was in kindergarten).

Ill advised overhaul candidate #2: Mariners. I remember the pre-93 set and thinking they were trying to be the Brewers' kid brothers. Keep in mind, this was shortly before the Brewers' successful near-decadelong attempt to run themselves into the ground. You don't have to be the Yankees or Dodgers to have a classy uniform, and the Seattle Mariners have a classy as hell uniform right now.

The Padres...they should've kept the number font from the khaki-era set, but other than that their currents aren't as horrible as so many folks insist they are. They could go brown...or they could take a stab at a color nobody's really considered for them: maroon. They could largely stand pat, though, and not go wrong.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I never understood what sort of malice Chief Wahoo was meant to communicate. I don't think he's supposed to be drunk or stupid or anything. I just figured he was smiling because baseball is supposed to be fun. Oh well, I've never claimed to be a first-class social justice warrior like Gothamite.

Has "social justice" jumped the shark? When you're yelling at white people for wearing dreadlocks and trying to purge the English language of gendered pronouns then yes, in some ways it has.

Still, I don't think stuff like that invalidates real concerns, nor should is stop us from trying to just be decent to others. Not to fit some agenda, just to be decent. And Wahoo is, well, disrespectful. I'm sorry, it is.

Yeah, Major League is great. That doesn't change the fact that the logo is a relic of an older time that, in all honesty, should have faded away a while ago.

The Yankees are definitely due for an overhaul. Their look is very tired.

I wouldn't hold out for that.

A team who should overhaul just their home uniform: The Twins.

I know they just changed their roads and alts, but that home uniform has stayed since '87 and it is just old and stale. It's 2014 and it's time to move on from that big blocky font.

I agree. When I see their home uniform, I think of the MetroDome, Kirby Puckett (God rest his soul!) Kent Hrbeck, Gary Gaetti, Tom Brunansky, etc.

My vote is for the Angels.

The Angels have been a mess since the whole Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim disaster. They tried to distance themselves from their home in Anaheim, but would never go so far as to identify with Los Angeles on their uniforms.

They still don't have an identity.

They've worn their red alt more than their home and road combined this season - which is probably good since their home and road unis feature the "halo A" logo four times each on the uniform/cap, compared to just three times with the alts.

Speaking of those favored alts, the red-on-red numbers are impossible to read.

I can't find a redeeming feature in any of these uniforms. I guess it's nice that they only wear one cap - if only it wasn't red-on-red.

Ah, what a better world it will be when the Redskins change their name and the Indians change their logo. Birds will be singing, the sun will be shining, there will be no such thing as racism, and we can all pretend people will stop mocking and tearing one another down. Instead of being SO wrapped up about logo/nickname issues, we need to be loving and respecting all those we come into contact with in our daily lives. That will make all the difference in the world, not making mountains out of molehills.

As the Washington football team nickname and Indians logo are both disrespectful and unloving, then you agree that they should go, correct?

On topic, while the plantiffs in that suit won't get their $9 billion, I anticipate a likely settlement will entail shipping off Chief Wahoo to the land of World War Two propaganda caricatures and a few million dollars worth of "go away" money.

So yeah, an Indians revamp is coming.

Interesting. I never "got" the King 5 connection. Still, seems odd especially since the Mariners tend to wear the teal jerseys when Felix pitches.

940x.jpg

The Mariners also play in King County...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Chief Wahoo fits into the same design stereotype/tradition that was applied to "Sambo" for African Americans and the bucktoothed Japanese figures so frequently found on World War Two propaganda posters.

As the latter two images were used to depict an "inferior other", the same applies to Chief Wahoo.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Team that probably will go through an overhaul: Indians. I ilke Wahoo (yeh, makes me a horrible person and whatnot :rolleyes: ), but much like with the Skins, the writing's on the wall, and I don't think Cleveland's owners can afford to be as stubborn as Snyder. It's either gonna be some crap built around the block C that will rival the early 90s Mariners in blandness, or hopefully something in the neighborhood of the Spokane Indians. Probably the former. A shame, I loved the 94-2000 set.

Team whose look has grown stale, but will stand pat for now: Rockies. They should put far more of an emphasis on purple, but they won't. They should ditch black, but they won't. They should consider incorporating some piece of Denver's pre-MLB baseball history, but they won't. Just too much won't here.

Team who will probably consider going for an ill advised overhaul: White Sox. Yes, people remember the "Winning Ugly" 83 set, those are kinda hard to forget. Anybody remember what the Sox wore before the blacks? Yeh, no. I remember having a late 80s Sox cap as a kid, and thinking it was an e instead of a cursive C (gimme a break, I was in kindergarten).

Ill advised overhaul candidate #2: Mariners. I remember the pre-93 set and thinking they were trying to be the Brewers' kid brothers. Keep in mind, this was shortly before the Brewers' successful near-decadelong attempt to run themselves into the ground. You don't have to be the Yankees or Dodgers to have a classy uniform, and the Seattle Mariners have a classy as hell uniform right now.

The Padres...they should've kept the number font from the khaki-era set, but other than that their currents aren't as horrible as so many folks insist they are. They could go brown...or they could take a stab at a color nobody's really considered for them: maroon. They could largely stand pat, though, and not go wrong.

Why should the Rockies ditch black? It's been our color for 21 years now. No thanks to just grabbing some random color for the sake of change.

Archived