Next MLB Overhaul?

kevinmets

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be Cleveland. Now that the Redskins are going the way of the dodo, it'll only be a matter of time. The anti-Redskins crowd is already gearing up to take on their next crusade, and it looks like from what I've read that Cleveland is it.

They are already Getting rid of chief wahoo slowly, that's the only thing that is a problem with them.

Apparently it's not fast enough for some people:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/native-american-group-plans-to-file-federal-lawsuit-against-cleveland-indians-over-chief-wahoo-logo

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Personally, I think it will end up being the Indians. Over the last 3-5 years, the franchise has been phasing out Chief Wahoo. He is basically relegated to a sleeve patch and the home cap. There is no Chief Wahoo to be found anywhere at Spring Training and Progressive Field has the bare bones minimum. Not to mention, there is a Native American group suing the Indians for $9 Billion (http://wcbe.org/post/native-american-groups-plan-sue-cleveland-indians). Yes, with a B. They are calling the nickname "Indians" racist. Once again, the nickname of Indians isn't racist, but Chief Wahoo is extremely racist. Which is the opposite of the Redskins, where the logo is not racist, but the nickname is extremely racist. With the Dolan's reputation, they will surely try to settle by changing the logo and name. Unless they can find someone way to trade Nick Swisher and Miachel Bourn... who's contracts combined are close to that $9 Billion they are suing for.

I would love to see the Indians move away from the R/W/B color scheme and go for something a little more original. I'd love to see the utilization of brown and maybe a tan/sand color to go along with red. I'm not sure what they could do as far as a logo is concerned. I think they could find some sort of happy medium with possibly a feather or dream catcher. But who knows, I'm sure in a few years they would determine that as racist.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Would it help if the Indians change to a recolored Wahoo. I've never heard what is racist about it other than it's skin color. Could someone point it out for me.... Maybe it's that :censored: eating grin and feather but I've never heard why it's bad, just that it is.

Maybe just a feathered C is what they need, someone pull up the concept someone did.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Recoloring wouldn't fix the exaggerated stereotypical facial features. There's no salvaging it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ah, what a better world it will be when the Redskins change their name and the Indians change their logo. Birds will be singing, the sun will be shining, there will be no such thing as racism, and we can all pretend people will stop mocking and tearing one another down. Instead of being SO wrapped up about logo/nickname issues, we need to be loving and respecting all those we come into contact with in our daily lives. That will make all the difference in the world, not making mountains out of molehills.

My bet is either on the Padres or the Brewers. However, I could see the Braves making a slight adjustment to their logo when they move to their new stadium in 2017. Just a slight update, probably something similar to what the Twins did when they moved to Target Field in 2010.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Personally, I think it will end up being the Indians. Over the last 3-5 years, the franchise has been phasing out Chief Wahoo. He is basically relegated to a sleeve patch and the home cap. There is no Chief Wahoo to be found anywhere at Spring Training and Progressive Field has the bare bones minimum. Not to mention, there is a Native American group suing the Indians for $9 Billion (http://wcbe.org/post/native-american-groups-plan-sue-cleveland-indians). Yes, with a B. They are calling the nickname "Indians" racist. Once again, the nickname of Indians isn't racist, but Chief Wahoo is extremely racist. Which is the opposite of the Redskins, where the logo is not racist, but the nickname is extremely racist. With the Dolan's reputation, they will surely try to settle by changing the logo and name. Unless they can find someone way to trade Nick Swisher and Miachel Bourn... who's contracts combined are close to that $9 Billion they are suing for.

I would love to see the Indians move away from the R/W/B color scheme and go for something a little more original. I'd love to see the utilization of brown and maybe a tan/sand color to go along with red. I'm not sure what they could do as far as a logo is concerned. I think they could find some sort of happy medium with possibly a feather or dream catcher. But who knows, I'm sure in a few years they would determine that as racist.

The name Indians isn't racist per se, but it is hilariously ignorant as it's a term that has erroneously been misappropriated to indigenous american people for centuries due to a select group of European sailors that couldn't navigate the globe properly.

Indians are individuals that associate (citizens etc.) with the Nation-state of India and have zero to do with the Americas.

I do wonder about the Mariners. Had seemed odd to me that the King's Court tshirts fans where when Felix pitches are yellow and blue.

mDvK3MvkvVFigbVLWTQmJww.jpg

I'm not sure about every t-shirt, but I know some things are yellow because it has some sort of tie in to Seattle's NBC affiliate (which acronym is KING and uses yellow as it's primary colour).

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Interesting. I never "got" the King 5 connection. Still, seems odd especially since the Mariners tend to wear the teal jerseys when Felix pitches.

940x.jpg

Once again, the only overhaul the Mariners need to do is to make the teal bill hat the primary home hat.

100% agree. Gives just the right amount of punch to a solid uniform.

Would it help if the Indians change to a recolored Wahoo. I've never heard what is racist about it other than it's skin color. Could someone point it out for me.... Maybe it's that :censored: eating grin and feather but I've never heard why it's bad, just that it is.

Maybe just a feathered C is what they need, someone pull up the concept someone did.

he has a grin on his face, most other logos have a angry face or animal.....pretty sure the PC crowd would have no problem if this indian was angry

I never understood what sort of malice Chief Wahoo was meant to communicate. I don't think he's supposed to be drunk or stupid or anything. I just figured he was smiling because baseball is supposed to be fun. Oh well, I've never claimed to be a first-class social justice warrior like Gothamite.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

he has a grin on his face, most other logos have a angry face or animal.....pretty sure the PC crowd would have no problem if this indian was angry

You don't even know what PC means.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would say the Cleveland Indians will be the next team to overhaul for obvious reasons.

My two dark horse candidates for overhauls are the Texas Rangers and Chicago White Sox.

The Rangers need to go back to the drawing board and settle on either red or blue as the primary color and put "Rangers" back on the home uniforms as well. I can definitely see the White Sox doing an overhaul too and bringing back some of the elements from their past looks.

Although unlikely, I would not be surprised to see the Miami Marlins go back to a more traditional look with teal in the next few years as they approach their 25th anniversary.

Both San Diego and Tampa need to ditch the navy blue and go back to some of their more unique looks of the past.

Seattle's look is definitely a "modern classic" in my opinion. Just designate the teal brim cap as the primary home cap.

While Colorado's look is not the greatest, its a very solid look that has aged well. Hard to believe both Seattle and Colorado have had their current looks for over 20 years now.

Ironically, it's the teams that consistently change that have the most problems when it comes to identity.

Too much navy blue and red in baseball so I respect teams that are unique with their colors such as the Mariners, Rockies, A's, D-Backs and Astros.

Archived