Tony Stewart hits, kills driver in sprint car race

TheFallenHaveRisen

Doesnt seem intentional to me. Any kicking out of the rear end of the car could, I'd think, be explained by a sudden movement to avoid the guy on a slick surface. The guy was an idiot, ultimately. I don't think Tony Stewart is at fault and based on the video, seems like it'd be pretty difficult to prove he was.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesnt seem intentional to me. Any kicking out of the rear end of the car could, I'd think, be explained by a sudden movement to avoid the guy on a slick surface. The guy was an idiot, ultimately. I don't think Tony Stewart is at fault and based on the video, seems like it'd be pretty difficult to prove he was.

Pretty much exactly what I was coming in here to say.

There's absolutely no legitimate reason to leave one's car and start striding into the middle of the pack of racers, ever.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

There's absolutely no legitimate reason to leave one's car and start striding into the middle of the pack of racers, ever.

He nearly got hit by the 4 cars Infront of Stewart, if the other drivers made a mistake they could have done the same thing.

I think it was just a "heat of the moment" kind of thing involving the struck driver. You got taken out, wrecked and your day (or night in this case) racing was done. I'm convinced Tony didn't want to hurt or kill him, but deliver a message and try to drive his message home.

It's a shame this had to happen and a young man in racing losing his life, but all drivers should know these kinds of things may happen. It's the allure of racing and the shadow of death lays in wait and can hang over the race track.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

From the video, I don't think Tony tried to hit and then kill that other guy, and this is coming from someone who knows little to nothing about NASCAR or racing in general.

Tony may have tried to speed up past him to get away and maybe comically spray dirt in that other guy's face, but I don't think there was any intent to injure.

IbjBaeE.png

I don't know enough of about Sprint cars or dirt tracks (in terms of control of the car), but we see drivers in NASCAR's highest series leaving their cars to make a point while even bigger machines than Sprint cars, at higher speeds, drive around the track. Think of all the times Kurt Busch has left his car to throw a helmet, wag a finger, etc. at another driver. Kevin Ward was probably in that mindset (I've see drivers do this all the time) and assumed the other drivers could control their cars. Tony Stewart was probably thinking the same thing. Sometimes you have to let your ego go and not think about intimidating the other guy. Such a shame.

I don't know enough of about Sprint cars or dirt tracks (in terms of control of the car), but we see drivers in NASCAR's highest series leaving their cars to make a point while even bigger machines than Sprint cars, at higher speeds, drive around the track. Think of all the times Kurt Busch has left his car to throw a helmet, wag a finger, etc. at another driver

Heck, it happened yesterday during the Nationwide races, as JJ Yeley left his car and threw his arms up in the air when Trevor Bayne passed by. However, in most of these cases, the driver is only a few feet from their car or just wait until the race is over to confront the other driver. But, as you pointed out, this was a dirt track, which is much slicker than the typical asphalt or concrete tracks we're much more accustomed to seeing the Sprint Cup guys run on

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I still think Stewart's not dodging some jail time for this, but to all thinking there won't be any other consequences, today's almost certainly his last NASCAR race. NASCAR has trouble scraping up major sponsors as is right now. You think any US company is going to want to associate itself with that video? No, he's done.

Of course I think the days of drivers getting out of their cars to yell at the guy who wrecked them have also begun to end. This is high profile enough that at least NASCAR is going to really start punishing drivers for running onto the track like that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not going to make excuses for what Stewart allegedly did (if he did it intentionally) but why the :censored: was Ward out of his car walking in the middle of the track when the cars were still running? Hell, a regular car moving slower than that can and will probably kill you if it hits you.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't see the outrage here. Someone mentioned Darwin, and that's all this is. The guy deserved it. Actually, he probably deserved not to die, but to be seriously messed up or paralyzed or something and then his crippled / mangled body could be used as a deterent to others who think they're tough enough to get out of their cars and stare down drivers flying by at a million MPH.

If he wasn't killed by Tony Stewart's car, he just would've been killed by doing something else stupid in a moment of hot-headed rage.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is the guy a moron for getting out of his car and playing chicken in the dark in the middle of an active race track? Absolutely - total death wish (granted).

But Stewart struck and killed him. It likely was a horrific accident but you can't just leave a guy dead and walk away from it, unless of course you're an NFL player.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Is the guy a moron for getting out of his car and playing chicken in the dark in the middle of an active race track? Absolutely - total death wish (granted).

But Stewart struck and killed him. It likely was a horrific accident but you can't just leave a guy dead and walk away from it, unless of course you're an NFL player.

But he's most likely not walking away from the incident like nothing happened... He probably will cooperate and have a statement with an apology to the other driver's family and do anything he can to help.

But he's most likely not walking away from the incident like nothing happened... He probably will cooperate and have a statement with an apology to the other driver's family and do anything he can to help.

Sweet, sweet justice!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Sweet, sweet justice!

if you're one of the people who thinks he deserves jail time... In all honesty that may not do anything... For all we know Stewart may walk away from racing for good. Don't automatically label Stewart as a bad guy or anything like that based off very little evidence.

stare down drivers flying by at a million MPH.

It was a caution. Stewart floored it in the middle of a caution.
You need to use the throttle to turn those cars, and if you are referring to the rev you hear that wasn't Tonys car it was a car on the opposite near side of the track you heard but couldn't see

Archived